Necessary items to download for new laptop(security wise)

Hello everyone,

I just recently received my new laptop and I was wondering what else I need to download as far as keeping the laptop virus free. So far, I've downloaded and installed the following:

(1) Avast Internet Security (3-year subscription)

(2) Malwarebytes (Pro-version)

(3) Installed all Windows Updates

(4) Update Java to update 26, deleted update 24 that was pre-installed.

(5) Downloaded Mozilla Firefox and made it my default browser

Is there anything else that I should download to help increase my security?

Thanks as always :)

Is there anything else that I should download to help increase my security?

Thanks as always :)

Not a download per se. (Its a Java Applet)

Run Secunia's Online Software Inspector (OSI) periodically

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

It is a personal Information Assurance scanner to find and relate vulnerabilities that need to be addressed by patches/updates.

• Root Admin

Setup an external storage device and perform regular data backups. The OS can easily be reinstalled but lost data cannot.

Install the NoScript Add-on and force yourself to learn it and train it and it will pay off I guarantee it.

Install the Adblock Plus Add-on and subscribe to one of the lists and enjoy a much cleaner surfing experience and safe browsing as well

Hello everyone,

(4) Update Java to update 26, deleted update 24 that was pre-installed.

Hi, somethingcreative:

In addition to everyone else's excellent advice...

Actually, the current version should be 6 update 27. :)

Be sure to uninstall all the older ones.

You can also uninstall the Java Consoles from Firefox, as they are not needed.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1720215 & numerous similar threads at the MZ forums.

(5) Downloaded Mozilla Firefox and made it my default browser

Version 7.0.1, right?

(The 3.6.x branch will be out of support soon...)

Be sure to go into the options windows and adjust the various security settings (private browsing, "tell websites I don't want to be tracked", password management, etc).

And be sure to install the NS and ABP extensions that AdvancedSetup suggested.

Just my random thoughts as another home user,

daledoc1

Thanks everyone!

I just spent 2 hours downloading everything lol, turns out I had a bunch of windows update I never updated. :mellow:

And daledoc:

Thanks, Yup I have the latest version of Mozilla. And that's weird I tried updating Java to update 27 from control panel but it wouldn't let me :(. It says I have the latest version. Is it because I have Windows 7, 64 bit? :unsure:

Thanks everyone!

I just spent 2 hours downloading everything lol, turns out I had a bunch of windows update I never updated. :mellow:

And daledoc:

Thanks, Yup I have the latest version of Mozilla. And that's weird I tried updating Java to update 27 from control panel but it wouldn't let me :(. It says I have the latest version. Is it because I have Windows 7, 64 bit? :unsure:

http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/7/jre-7-windows-x64.exe

Yes, there *is* a Java version 7 available, as David H. Lipman correctly points out. :)

(And he is FAR, FAR, FAR more expert in all this than I am -- I am just a home user :) )

However.... You might want to read this before you upgrade from 6U27:

http://java.com/en/download/faq/java7.xml'>http://java.com/en/download/faq/java7.xml

If you go to http://java.com/en/ you will find the latest "public release" version.

And, if you run the "do I have Java?" tool, it will tell you that 6U27 is the latest version.

(I personally use java.com for keeping up to date, rather than some of the other pages at the Oracle web site, such as the link DHL provided...)

So you can safely stick with 6U27 for now (latest "public" version), OR you can update to 7 (available thru the developer channel), if you wish.

I'm sure David H. Lipman and/or the other pros will correct me, if I'm wrong....

It's all rather confusing, to be sure. The info at the various Oracle and Java websites isn't entirely clear.

So, I'm not sure if this clarifies or muddies the issue, :unsure:

daledoc1

Best choice is to not even use Java if you can get away with it. :D

That's how I roll, and have been for a few years now. If a program needs Java to work, I find an alternative to that program. Flash and Reader are the only two I install these days, and I disable the Reader browser plugin and just download a PDF and open it in Reader if I wish to view it (fewer plugins means quicker browser loading times).

Stop using Java about year ago and Adobe Reader . ;)

Been using SpywareBlaster for couple years. :)

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software. Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox. Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer. SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web. And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background

Home version SpywareBlaster 4.4

Like Exile, I do not use Java either. I hardly used it and one less thing to worry about updating/getting infected... :) I haven't had Java for at least two years now, if not longer!

Thanks guys, deleting java right now. I'll see if my normal activities such as school and office work are still normal :D

I would use spywareblaster but it was too confusing for a home user such as myself :(

LOL

Then you will not be able to use the Secunia Java Applet that scans your computer for software that needs to be updated/patched nor any other Java Applet.