power button issue.

mbam daz.

hi.

ive just a query really.

only twice have i had to use the power button to shutdown windows and restart.

does it harm the computer by doing this,?

many thanks.

Hard Reboots are not good for the computer and should only be used as a last resort

A hard reboot (also known as a cold reboot, cold boot or cold start) is when power to a computer is cycled (turned off and then on) or a special reset signal to the processor is triggered. This restarts the computer without first performing any shut-down procedure. (With many operating systems, especially those using disk caches, after a hard reboot the filesystem may be in an "unclean" state, and an automatic scan of on-disk filesystem structures will be done before normal operation can begin.) It may be caused by power failure, be done by accident, or be done deliberately as a last resort to forcibly retrieve the system from instances of a system freeze, critical error or virus-inflicted DoS attack. It can also be used by intruders to access cryptographic keys from RAM, in which case it is called a cold boot attack.

Thank you for the information, Wildman!

This machine used to have to have it done a lot due to freezing that wouldn't go away w.o using the power button but thankfully not in a long time!

hi.

i tried to install hostsman twice on my computer and both times the machine well and truly froze up solid with no responses whatsoever.but what i have done is enter a command via regedit to my shell commands to kill all tasks.

hopefully i shall never have to use it.

many thanks.

bye.

hi

is force shutdown a safe program to use. i dont want the hassle of having to use the power button to get out of non=responding programs.

many thanks.

safe program? who knows it got 4 and 1/2 stars..any program can crash a pc. It will let you point & click to Hibernate, Standby, Re-start, OFF. Of course the better one is this post:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...;displaylang=en

the above is a MS product - or fix

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP.

On Windows 2000 you can benefit from this service if the application event log shows event id 1000 where the message text indicates that the profile is not unloading and that the error is "Access is denied". On Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 either event ids 1517 and 1524 indicate the same profile unload problem.

To accomplish this the service monitors for logged off users that still have registry hives loaded. When that happens the service determines which application have handles opened to the hives and releases them. It logs the application name and what registry keys were left open. After this the system finishes unloading the profile.

If the above don't work, which happened to me - I switched to Force-Shutdown welcome to windows notebooks

Chris

Same site under Additional Information there seem to be 7 steps to change to make it work

EDIT http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...;displaylang=en

You can get more information about UPHClean through our blog:

http://blogs.technet.com/uphclean

Please uninstall UPHClean v1.6d before upgrading to Windows Vista. To uninstall UPHClean after an upgrade to Windows Vista make the following changes:

VISTA. still looking to see if one works for Win7

• Staff

That just talks about uninstalling it.

The beta for the new version found in the blog installed; however, the ReadMe says:

Windows Vista:

Windows Vista includes code that will force profile hive references closed when

the profile is unloaded. As a result profile hive unloading problems do not

occur on Windows Vista

So it's pointless on Vista/7.