Why other anti-virus program and daily scanning

This is my first posting. I am new here.

1. Since Malwarebytes provides on-line real time protection, why do I need to scan the pc. Supposedly, the pc is protected.

2. With Malwarebytes' anti-malware running, why do I need any other anti-virus prgram (I am using AVG-9)?

3. Understand Malwarebytes' anti-malware can co-exist with other anti-virus program, eg AVG, but it may freeze. I went to section H, problem with AVG (9) anti-virus and follow all the steps to avoid the possible freeze. But I can not find rule.ref mentioned in the action list. (All others are done according to the recommendation)

Thank you,

Planoguy

Hello planoguy, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

1) It is still a good idea to scan from time to time (a quick scan at least once a week is a good idea), just in case something may have slipped through that was not in the database yet, and therefore realtime protection would not have caught it yet.

2) You still need an antivirus because Malwarebytes is NOT an antivirus; it is an anti Malware program, and is designed to be used with your antivirus program.

3) What operating system are you running? (in regards to your rules.ref question).

Please use the ADD REPLY button when replying.

Thank you :)

Hi planoguy and welcome to malwarebytes'!

Are you running avg anti-virus or internet security? The reason I'm asking, is that it's a good idea to have a firewall. Outpost free, online armor free and pc tools free are very good. Just make sure to install only one as more then one can conflict.

Below you will find the location of all the files that need to be exclude.....

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 32 bit versions Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please post back and let us know how it went.

3. Understand Malwarebytes' anti-malware can co-exist with other anti-virus program, eg AVG, but it may freeze. I went to section H, problem with AVG (9) anti-virus and follow all the steps to avoid the possible freeze. But I can not find rule.ref mentioned in the action list. (All others are done according to the recommendation)

To see this location you'll need to show hidden files and folders (as explained in the AVG exclusions tutorial):

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Once you've added the file to your exclusions in AVG do the following to reset the option:

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click on Start
  • Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

I use Windows XP Home editon with SP3.

Thank you.

Hello planoguy, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :huh:

1) It is still a good idea to scan from time to time (a quick scan at least once a week is a good idea), just in case something may have slipped through that was not in the database yet, and therefore realtime protection would not have caught it yet.

2) You still need an antivirus because Malwarebytes is NOT an antivirus; it is an anti Malware program, and is designed to be used with your antivirus program.

3) What operating system are you running? (in regards to your rules.ref question).

Please use the ADD REPLY button when replying.

Thank you :)

You're welcome :huh:

To find rules.ref,

Follow Exile360's directions a couple posts above this post (show hidden files/folders), and then you should be able to find it:

Our database file is stored in the following locations.

* Windows XP and 2000

* C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

* Windows Vista and Windows 7:

* C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

Afterwards it would be a good idea to reset hidden file/folder settings as given in the directions by Exile360 also.

Did our replies help you with your questions or do you still have some questions?

:)

Are you running avg anti-virus or internet security? The reason I'm asking, is that it's a good idea to have a firewall. Outpost free, online armor free and pc tools free are very good. Just make sure to install only one as more then one can conflict.

I will. Before I install, e.g. Outpost free, shall I stop/reomve Windows build-in firewall (and how to). Shall I exclude MBAM from Outpost and how? :unsure:

Windows firewall can't be removed and it shouldn't be removed anyhow. Any third-party firewall you install will disable it anyhow and if it does not you should disable it yourself :unsure: If you remove the third-party firewall and do not install a different one, Windows firewall needs to be enabled again.

Here is the system info.

Windows xp home edition sp3, AVG anti-virus free, MBAM full, PC Tool free firewall, PC Tool Desktop Maestro, IE8, Firefox.

It seems to me that after I installed PC Tool firewall my system is running slower opening a webpage, even starting IE is slower. BTW, I turned off windows firewall after installing PC Tool firewall.

Thank you,

Planoguy

It seems to me that after I installed PC Tool firewall my system is running slower

Most people on this forum would not have this installed - I only have the Windows firewall installed and running - I have tryed sevral firewalls but I have not yet found one to suit my system (XP SP3) - The others that responded have given you a few ideas that you may wish to try (but I will not) -

I find that with Microsoft Security Essentials installed from here with a standard firewall kept up to date (along with Malwarebytes) - I find MSE works very well with Malwarebytes and I have programmed MSE to scan every day -

Thank You - :unsure:

EDIT - Only My opinion - (Thanks)

Hi planoguy

Adding more RAM will probably help the system cope with the additional needs of AVG and PC Tool firewall.

I use the Crucial System Scanner tool to find what RAM I need:

http://www.crucial.com

Here is the system info.

Windows xp home edition sp3, AVG anti-virus free, MBAM full, PC Tool free firewall, PC Tool Desktop Maestro, IE8, Firefox.

It seems to me that after I installed PC Tool firewall my system is running slower opening a webpage, even starting IE is slower. BTW, I turned off windows firewall after installing PC Tool firewall.

Thank you,

Planoguy

I have had a conflict with PC Tool firewall free. The system froze when I tried to use a hand-writing device. I had to manually power-off, re-start. So I removed PC Tool and installed Outpost firewall. It seems to me that in Outpost it can only have .exe files in their 'allowed list'. I can not put in the others as suggested to avoid conflict.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Is this a problem?