Start Protection with Error Code: 2

Windows XP SP3 32 Bit

McAfee 8.7i, with Exclusions for

mbam.exe

mbamgui.exe

mbamservice.exe

Just cleaned Internet Security 2010 and re-ran, Malwarebytes, shows clean.

I am registered and when I choose to "start protection" a message pops up saying it is now protecting my computer and I click ok,

It then gives me an error "OpenEvent, Failed to perform desired action. Error Code: 2"

I've tried this with the McAfee services disabled and have the same result. What else could I try?

thanks

Pat

Please uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, restart your computer, run the utility at the following link, restart your computer again, and then reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

You may download a fresh copy for the reinstall from the following link: mbam-setup.exe

You will need to reenter your ID and Key after performing those steps.

Please uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, restart your computer, run the utility at the following link, restart your computer again, and then reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

You may download a fresh copy for the reinstall from the following link: mbam-setup.exe

You will need to reenter your ID and Key after performing those steps.

I had the same problem.

Tried the above and still getting the same error.

Thanks

I am having this exact same issue as well. Running Windows 7 x64. Tried following the instructions posted above using the mbam-clean.exe but it also didnt solve the problem. I wasnt having any problems the other day and then all of a sudden this morning I went to my computer and malwarebytes had crashed and will no longer start protection and run in the tray.

@SatJohn

Kindly state your Windows version/edition: Win 2000, XP Home /Pro, Vista x86 or 64 bit, or Windows 7 etc.

I was about to suggest exacly the logoff - restarts after each step (as GT500 already has) <lol>

Do confirm you have MBAM version 1.44

Hello Maurice,

Here is my system info:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

System Model: OptiPlex 745

System Type: X86-based PC

Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~3389 Mhz

Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~3389 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc. 2.6.3, 11/30/2009

Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS

System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale: United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2705 (xpsp.050622-1524)"

Time Zone Eastern Standard Time

Total Physical Memory: 2,048.00 MB

Available Physical Memory: 2620.34 MB

Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB

Page File Space: 4.85 GB

Page File: C:\pagefile.sys

MBAM version 1.44

Hope this helps

John

I wasnt having any problems the other day and then all of a sudden this morning I went to my computer and malwarebytes had crashed and will no longer start protection and run in the tray.

Same here.

Running MBAM Pro.

Windows XP SP3 32 Bit

Uninstall and re-install did not help.

Lots of error messages.

No MBAM-related services are running in Task Manager, no icon in systray, and if I try opening the program, it says Protection Module is disabled.

Upon pressing 'Start Protection', I get "[CreateService]Failed to perform desired action:Error Code:1072". Then, "The MBAM Protection Module is already running". Also getting "[OpenEvent]Failed to perform desired action. Error Code:2".

I have contacted support, but I wanted to add my name to this thread.

Oh yeah, the whole mess started with, "An error occurred. Please report the following error code to the MBAM support team. Error Code: 703 (0,5)"

• Root Admin

There are different posts here and though you may think they're the same issue it is unlikely they are the exact same issue.

If a clean removal and re-install along with setting up file exclusions for your Anti-Virus are not working then you may still be infected with something and should seek further assistance with detection and removal as shown below.

Please try this on the computer that is having an issue.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. mbam-setup.exe

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and that you can run a quick scan and all is working as expected.

If that does not work and you're seeing any signs of Malware such as searches being redirected then I'd seek assistance in HJT forum. If you have NO signs of any infection and a the program runs but PM does not load on a paid version then please do contact the Help Desk for further assistance.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

I have the same error/ problem but have never fully been able to install MBAM on my computer.

I'm running Windows XP and ordinarily use Spybot S&D which has worked well for me. But something nasty got through the gates. I was advised to try MBAM. I've tried to install it but keep getting:

Unable to execute file:

Create Process Failed, Code 2

The system can not find the file specified

I've tried uninstalling and rebooting and trying again but despite my various efforts I can't install. I followed the instructions here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=12709 for searching for the hidden file on Rootrepeal (Fix for Rootkit) but I couldn't find any of the specified files and still couldn't run MBAM.

The error Code 2 happens just as I'm about to run program and search for updates. When I close out and go to run the MBAM (which by the way I've never seen) it searches as if it never existed.

HELP?!

@ Skee Stylus -

Unable to execute file:

Create Process Failed, Code 2

The system can not find the file specified

You are either infected (Try reinstall) - Follow all the instructions by Advanced Setup above :lol: , or you must rename MBAM.exe to a random MAME.exe -

The second part only works sometimes - An expert is your best option as per AdvancedSetup -

As you are not sure if it is a rootkit, or any other known problem just be careful of the tools you use -

Thank You - :)

@ Skee Stylus -

You are either infected (Try reinstall) - Follow all the instructions by Advanced Setup above , or you must rename MBAM.exe to a random MAME.exe -

The second part only works sometimes - An expert is your best option as per AdvancedSetup -

As you are not sure if it is a rootkit, or any other known problem just be careful of the tools you use -

I tried to reinstalled a number of times and renamed the exe with different names to no avail. What "advanced setup above" are you referring to? You said an "expert" who would that be?

@SatJohn

Kindly state your Windows version/edition: Win 2000, XP Home /Pro, Vista x86 or 64 bit, or Windows 7 etc.

I was about to suggest exacly the logoff - restarts after each step (as GT500 already has) <lol>

Do confirm you have MBAM version 1.44

thanks for the reply's, uninstalled rebooted, ran cleanup, rebooted, reinstalled. still getting error.

Windows XP Pro SP3.

Anything else I could try?

thanks

@Skee Stylus

The reason the mbam-clean program failed is most likely due to it not finding something it was looking for.

Temporarily disable Spybot and especially TeaTimer as it will interfere with the whole process.

See this link for a video tutorial on how to disable Spybot's resident protection and TeaTimer

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.hs.html

Reboot your machine for the changes to take effect

Now re-install MBAM over the top of the existing installation and start the mbam-clean process again as outlined above, including temporarily disabling any other security software you have installed.

If you still can't get MBAM to install and run correctly, you are most likely infected, in which case you should follow the directions below

We don't work on malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a customer of the paid for product, you can contact the helpdesk at support@malwarebytes.org for priority support.

@ .sweet deal -

I am sorry but your thread was over run and you were over looked - Please read and carefully follow the details in this link below -

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=149077

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org - This will put you in a waiting line, and it can take a day or 2 for a full answer -

I would try the "fix" first as it may work fully -

Thank You - :lol:

• Root Admin

Okay since this post is being discussed by different users and they've been asked to submit to Help Desk or HJT forum I'll close this post.

Please start your own topic if you have similar issues that you need help with. You should not post into another users post.

Thank you.