MBAM And Memory Issues

I have an ASUS Notebook running Win 7 Pro x64 with 4 Gigs of Ram. When idle, my Memory usage is at about 30-34%. However, every time I run MBAM Free Edition, no matter what version, even after the scan is over and I close MBAM, my Memory usage stays at about 47-50%. The only way to bring it back down is to re-start my Notebook. Does anyone know why? :)

Hello lordpuffer :)

First of all, are you all updated with version 1.44? This new version was just released yesterday and should fix this issue. Check to see if you have that version and let me know.

Edit: sorry lordpuffer, I should have read your post a second time. I don't think Mbam is your issue then..

you should post your question over in the PC Help forum :) since it doesn't appear to be an issue with Malwarebytes itself.

Hello lordpuffer :)

First of all, are you all updated with version 1.44? This new version was just released yesterday and should fix this issue. Check to see if you have that version and let me know.

Edit: sorry lordpuffer, I should have read your post a second time. I don't think Mbam is your issue then..

you should post your question over in the PC Help forum :) since it doesn't appear to be an issue with Malwarebytes itself.

I am running 1.44. It only happens when I run a scan with Malwarebytes, so it seems like an MBAM issue.

Oh, okay. I'm sure someone who might know can jump in here :)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, lordpuffer.

Please use the add-reply button at the bottom of the page in the future when replying please.

I have Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit and I do not see the memory increase like you indicate.

What other applications are you running as to anti virus and firewall?

@camphill

Like @AdvancedSetup wrote on http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34938

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. mbam-setup.exe

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and that you can run a quick scan and all is working as expected.

If this does not solved, report here again.

• Root Admin

Normally this should not be required, but in cases where maybe other software temporarily interfered or something else went wrong with the update you should temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and other Security software and once completed make sure you re-enable it.

Please try this on the computer that is having an issue.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. mbam-setup.exe

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and that you can run a quick scan and all is working as expected.

@lordpuffer

Like @YoKenny1 said.

Which security softwares are you running on computer ? Firewalls ? Antivirus ?

Are you doing scan with others softwares opened ? Like web browser or another software ?

Swandog46 said " If the operating system sees the program needs a lot of memory often (i.e. if there are many repeated updates), it will allocate more memory to the process in order to save having to do it later. This is an optimization by the Windows memory manager. (If the memory is needed elsewhere, it will accordingly be revoked.)" --- in this case ignore the example of updates ---

from: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...4938&st=140

Although the Malwarebytes process consumption is OK because decreased after scan.

Take a note if another process is consuming more after scan.

What AdvancedSetup posted did not work :) .....My computer is still using a lot of memory after the scan and after I close MBAM.

Two things:

1) I am using the Free version of MBAM (I downloaded the current version just before from MajorGeeks, not from the link provided)

2) I am using the Paid version of Avast Antivirus...There is no Firewall except the one built in Win 7, and no other protection is running

Snipping Tool: A useful Windows 7 Feature

http://geekswithblogs.net/ebrown/archive/2009/01/11/128558.aspx

Its a feature that has to be enabled but it is in Tablet PC settings:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/08/17/install-or-enable-snipping-tool-in-windows-vista

Greetings :)

Please do the following:

• Click the button at the bottom of your Task Manager that says Show processes from all users
  • Click on the Mem Usage column header to sort by ram usage
  • Right-click on the copy of svchost.exe with the highest amount of usage and select Go to services
  • Scroll through the list to locate all of the highlighted services (there's usually more than one per svchost process) and list the ones you find in your next reply.

Hello again ;)

I believe I have discovered the culprit. It looks like it is Superfetch, which was my original suspicion and the reason I had you check it.

Most likely MBAM is using quite a bit of ram when a scan is performed and once it completes, Superfetch (listed as SysMain) is reallocating memory to whatever processes it believes you will execute next based on its constant monitoring of your usage history. In other words, if on Tuesdays at 8PM you normally run an MBAM scan and then proceed to play Solitaire while surfing in Google Chrome, it will reallocate the memory from MBAM to Solitaire and Google Chrome. If however you change your normal behavior and instead play Chess and surf with Internet Explorer, it will then page out the used Superfetch ram to your hard drive and load the processes that you have now chosen to execute (Chess and Internet Explorer), which will require loading from the hard drive and thus your perceived system responsiveness will be reduced until SuperFetch catches up to you :) .

One true test would be to run a truly ram intensive application after performing a scan with Malwarebytes' and then exiting said application. A good choice would be a video editing application, a high level photo editing application, or an intensive 3D game. Then exit said application and you should see the amount of used ram suddenly drop dramatically. This happens because all of the excess, unused ram that was being occupied by SuperFetch was reallocated to the ram intensive program you just ran and exiting the program returns that memory that it was using back to idle status until SuperFetch starts loading up what it thinks you will likely run next based on your past usage.

I've observed this on my own system as well in many scenarios (I use Vista Ultimate x64 with 3Gb of Ram).