learning about the Command Line

Marcus

Does anybody have any links to or know of sites where one can begin to learn about the Command Line and command line syntax please?

I can of course do a Google search / search WikiPedia for information but if there are any other sources of information at not-too-advanced a level I would be grateful. I'm sure Microsoft must have detailed information on this. I'm more than willing to be taught by any experts here on the basics (and more; time, energy and brainpower permitting).

Is it worth looking at subscription tutorial sites for this sort of thing?

• Root Admin

Learning batch will greatly improve your knowledge in this area.

Batch File Resources on the Web

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed 2 dead links.

• Root Admin

Okay, link to that one removed. :(

Turns out this one is dead now too. So is the nature of the Internet.

Batchfiles FAQ

Batch File Resources on the Web

@ AdvancedSetup and Exile: thanks for those links; that Batch Files (Scripts) in Windows link, exile, appears to be very good; i've only managed to read two or three articles so far (not enough hours in the day for me!). Doubled my "homework reading" yet again, exile!! :). No, seriously, I regard it as essential preparatory reading and learning for me and I'm grateful for it.

If you experts have links available on the command line in general especially for one who is just beginning to learn how to use it as opposed to batch file creation and use do please post them and / or PM them if you can find the time to do so. Education, useful information and learning is not wasted on this honorary member! :(:(:)

For discussion / consideration: what are your thoughts about creating a forum / subforum for computer education? Perhaps creating it in the Honorary Members' group? Or perhaps just creating links to, or maybe as well as, say, to a trusted site such as TeMerc's (TeMerc Internet Countermeasures) where educational topic detail could be hosted? I haven't asked him about this; just turning thoughts over.

Just remember, you asked for it :( :

That should keep you busy for a bit :) .

Oh Boy! Thank you, exile, for that Christmas present! :)

That will keep me out of mischief for a very long time! This honorary member has been known to fiddle, twiddle and play around in the registry and "gpedit" from time to time. About time I learned what I was messing with before I mess it up yet again! :) Hopefully never! :)

That TechNet site - is the reading area accessible to all? Or is there an area (of presumably extra and/or advanced reading material) that is restricted to subscribing members only?

Back to the reading now,

:( :(