Chkdsk -- Having problems running this - HELP

deebeee

I'm new here. My computer has been slowing down A LOT. Tried to defragment computer, but constantly get pop up that tells me

Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: (C:).

Please run Chkdsk/f.

I could not find chkdsk/f -- did the "search" function -- found "chkdsk" but the following message flashed and it would not run:

The type of the file system is NTFS. WARNING F parameter not specified. Running CHKDSK in read only mode. Chkdsk is verifying files (stage 1 of 3). Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "").

From file record segment 65123.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ran a total scan with Malwearbytes but still can't defragment and can't understand what to do next. I also ran the TFC program (to remove flawed temp files), but no help either.

HELP. Thanks.

deebeee

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings :)

Unfortunately it sounds as though your hard drive may be failing :) . To check it you can use a bootable diagnostic disc from the hard drive's manufacturer. If you can, please tell me the company that made your hard drive (ie Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, Samsung etc) and I'll give you a link to the appropriate diagnostic disk. If you aren't sure then do the following:

• Click on Start and right-click My Computer and select Manage
  • Click on Device Manager on the left pane
  • Click the + next to Disk Drives on the right
  • Type the model number into your next reply

Please download the SeaTools bootable ISO from here

• You'll need to burn the ISO file to a CD and boot from it to run the diagnostic
  • For information on how to burn an ISO properly please refer to this page
  • Once you've done that, insert the CD you burned into your CD drive and reboot your computer
  • The computer should now give you the option to boot from CD, if it does not then you will need to change the boot device order in the BIOS so that it tries to boot from your CD drive first

Please let me know if you have any questions and let me know how it goes.

Thanks -- I'm going to back everything up now. It does sound pretty complicated for my level of computer expertise. I've never "burned" a CD before. OK, will back up things and then get back to you.

Is there any "cheap" place to get a new hard drive -- ha ha right? Do you know how much it might cost.

I'd recommend the IMGBurn option since it's free, and if you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them clearly for you :) .

As for hard drives, you can find some good deals on newegg.com and this one would be the same size as the one you would be replacing :) . Just keep in mind that what you're looking for is known as Ultra ATA or IDE as that's the type of connector it uses, not SATA. The hard drives listed here and here would all work. You just need to pick the size and brand.

For brands I recommend Seagate (the same brand you have installed now) and Western Digital as they generally seem to be the most reliable. Also, if the computer is still under warranty then the hard drive will be covered and you should be able to get a replacement for free by contacting the manufacturer.

I hope you don't mind that I'm slow with all this. I have CFIDS and it really saps your brain power and energy.

I have to buy a blank CD I assume (told you I was no expert).

Can you tell me what this means re chkdsk -- when I clicked on the version I have this is what came up.

"The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING F parameter not specified. Running CHKDSK in read only mode.

Chkdsk is verifying files (stage 1 of 3).

Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "").

From file record segment 65123. "

Is it because I have Windows XP that I don't have a chkdsk that runs?

I read another person's problem and the Event log was mentioned so I accessed it and OH BOY, errors galore. A LOT. Would it help if I sent or printed the log here?

OK going to copy all you told me here and go over it. Backing up stuff now.

You are so nice to help. Thanks very very much.

denise

You are so so kind to help me. :) Thank you for your support and info. I will get the CD and do the back up.

OK -- stupid question: :) Do I back up stuff like Malwarebytes, any of the programs like Corel, etc.

Have a great weekend.

deebeee

No, you won't back up installed programs, you'll back up files, such as pictures, videos and documents that you wish to keep. Also, if you use Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express (also known as Windows Mail in Vista) then you will want to back up your contacts and emails so that you can transfer them over to your new Windows installation (if you need to do so but don't know how just ask :) ).

As for software such as Corel (which I'm assuming came with the computer), you'll need the factory restore discs that contain your copy of Windows along with drivers and software that came with the computer. If you do not have factory restore discs then the computer likely has a recovery partition, in which case you will need to let me know before you remove your old hard drive.

If there is any third party software that you have purchased then you should be sure to save the product keys and license info to a text file to be backed up as well so that you may reinstall those programs on your new hard drive should you end up purchasing one.

Thanks, you have a great weekend too :) .

Don't worry if it takes me a bit of time to get the CD, just can't do things very quickly. Will get it as soon as I can.

Thanks again. :)

Don't sweat it, I'm in no rush myself and I'm on here all the time (it's sort of my hobby :) .

Hi,

I succumbed to an ad on radio and bought this CyberDefend system that helps your computer speed up. After installing it, I didn't see enough of a difference and called their customer support and spoke to a tech there.

The guy did this remote control of my computer -- he found by going into the events folder that there were skillions of warnings and errors. OMG! I had actually accessed the events log a few days ago when I read a post of yours how to do it. I chronicled all the errors and warnings -- mind boggling how many there were. Some days there were something like 11 warnings and 3 errors. It begin in July, but can't figure out what happened in July that could have brought this on.

The tech said he had "NEVER ever seen such a huge amount of warnings and errors." He explained that your computer can be invaded via a back door. He had me write down rundll32.exe and then told me that I would need to spend hundreds of dollars to fix this. EEEPS.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm a bit shell shocked, glad to find this out (in a way :)), but horrified at the expense of all these things. At this point, I don't have money to do anything.

Even after this program scanned my computer and the errors were removed, they keep coming up. I guess that pesky back door is still open and it would take mega bucks (about $300) to fix it.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know the latest -- oh well, we'll see how long I can use this computer.

CyberDefender is junk in my opinion and their services are a ripoff. As for the Event Log errors, I have many myself, sometimes it's actually quite normal believe it or not, but considering the other issues you've had, a bad hard drive could easily explain it :) . I'd like to see the errors for myself though if you wouldn't mind as it may help to further diagnose the problems:

Post Event Logs:

• Please download VEW by Vino Rosso from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double click it to start it Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to right click the file and select Run as administrator and click Continue or Allow at the User Account Control Prompt.
  • Click the check boxes next to Application and System located under Select log to query on the upper left
  • Under Select type to list on the right click the boxes next to Error and Warning Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 also click the box next to Critical (not XP).
  • Under Number or date of events select Number of events and type 20 in the box next to 1 to 20 and click Run
  • Once it finishes it will display a log file in notepad
  • Please copy and paste its entire contents into your next reply

Here it is! You give great instx's. By the way even tho I have Windows XP, left click is what worked (not right click) for some reason.

I could kick myself for buying the stupid program, but late at night and feeling desperate, I succumbed. DARN.

Here is the log -- thank you so much.

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English

Report run at 23/11/2009 5:50:56 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Application' Log - error Type

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2009 5:50:29 PM

Type: error Category: 101

Event: 1002 Source: Application Hang

Hanging application WksWP.exe, version 8.5.818.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2009 4:43:22 AM

Type: error Category: 0

Event: 1000 Source: Application Error

Faulting application cdregclean.exe, version 1.0.1430.1744, faulting module , version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/11/2009 10:02:57 AM

Event: 1001 Source: Application Hang

Fault bucket 263258568.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/11/2009 10:02:36 AM

Hanging application Photo Album 6.exe, version 6.3.0.3, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/11/2009 10:02:35 AM

Hanging application Photo Album 6.exe, version 6.3.0.3, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/11/2009 10:02:34 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/11/2009 6:43:33 AM

Hanging application WksWP.exe, version 8.5.818.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/11/2009 6:43:32 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/11/2009 6:54:05 AM

Fault bucket 158641531.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/11/2009 6:54:04 AM

Fault bucket 158641531.

Fault bucket 158641531.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/11/2009 6:53:28 AM

Hanging application pspa.exe, version 5.2.0.1, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Hanging application pspa.exe, version 5.2.0.1, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/11/2009 9:00:59 PM

Hanging application SoftwareUpdate.exe, version 2.1.1.116, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/11/2009 7:12:27 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/11/2009 6:18:03 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 08/11/2009 10:31:50 PM

Fault bucket 158641531.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 08/11/2009 10:31:36 PM

'Application' Log - warning Type

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2009 11:21:16 AM

Type: warning Category: 0

Event: 1517 Source: Userenv

Windows saved user CHLOE\Denise registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2009 9:30:36 AM

Windows saved user CHLOE\Denise registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2009 6:29:23 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2009 11:59:58 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2009 11:01:31 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2009 7:12:03 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2009 5:21:23 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2009 4:11:21 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2009 6:57:40 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2009 3:59:31 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2009 11:05:22 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 8:03:57 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 3:38:25 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 3:38:24 PM

Event: 1524 Source: Userenv

Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 1:33:23 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 7:53:41 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 6:39:35 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2009 8:29:33 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2009 7:28:59 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2009 7:28:57 PM

Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

'System' Log - error Type

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 3:37:04 PM

Event: 7034 Source: Service Control Manager

The dlcc_device service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The TabletServicePen service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The Machine Debug Manager service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The Java Quick Starter service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The AOL Connectivity Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 3:37:03 PM

The WTouch Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 3:34:39 PM

Event: 111 Source: Removable Storage Service

RSM could not load media in drive Drive 0 of library JetFlash Transcend 4GB USB Device.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 3:34:38 PM

RSM could not load media in drive Drive 0 of library JetFlash Transcend 4GB USB Device.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2009 7:27:55 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2009 7:27:54 PM

The TabletServicePen service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The Machine Debug Manager service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The AOL Connectivity Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The Java Quick Starter service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2009 7:27:53 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:03:35 AM

Event: 7023 Source: Service Control Manager

The Application Management service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.

The Application Management service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:03:34 AM

'System' Log - warning Type

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:22:35 AM

Event: 1073 Source: USER32

The attempt to power off CHLOE failed

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:22:31 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:22:07 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:21:57 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:21:45 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:21:36 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 12:59:49 AM

Event: 263 Source: PlugPlayManager

The service "Apple Mobile Device" may not have unregistered for device event notifications before it was stopped.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/11/2009 10:18:12 PM

Hi,

I have to find out again how to get to my Event Viewer. Can you give me info re accessing this? Do I then just compare the lingo in both. I can't understand what is being described. You're a genius for knowing this.

It's weird, but shutting down is not a problem. The problems I have involve not being able to open videos on FaceBook by friends unless it's also a YouTube video. I get that black screen with the message "this video not available." When I click on an option on many sites, it often doesn't respond at all or takes FOREVER. And the opening AOL, other sites, etc. takes a long time. But closing down seems pretty OK. Go figure.

Thank!

Me again,

I read over the log I just pasted and it is in English as opposed to code lingo.

I'm confused a bit -- I just started using a graphic tablet and pen and I don't remember it ever just stoppiing. The other things I'm sure are correct, so probably same for this just don't recall it.

Someone told me that sometimes people will infiltrate your computer just to use it as a bouncing off midway point in their transactions. YUCK. How parasitical.

Oh brother, this is really something.

Have a good night.

Hi,

Here is the latest log from VEW -- it looks like exactly the same thing as the log I posted yesterday.

I did notice that removing the errors does seem to help the speed:

This AM everything was incredibly slow -- I ran CyberDefender and there were 27 errors.

After I had them removed, things sped up a lot.

I'm trying to find the post where you told the poster how to access the Events Log.

Talk to you later.

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English

Report run at 24/11/2009 7:18:27 AM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

'Application' Log - error Type

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2009 5:50:29 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2009 4:43:22 AM

Event: 1000 Source: Application Error

Faulting application cdregclean.exe, version 1.0.1430.1744, faulting module , version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/11/2009 10:02:57 AM

Fault bucket 263258568.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/11/2009 10:02:36 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/11/2009 10:02:35 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/11/2009 6:43:33 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/11/2009 6:43:32 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/11/2009 6:54:05 AM

Fault bucket 158641531.

Fault bucket 158641531.

Fault bucket 158641531.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/11/2009 9:00:59 PM

Hanging application SoftwareUpdate.exe, version 2.1.1.116, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/11/2009 7:12:27 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/11/2009 6:18:03 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 08/11/2009 10:31:50 PM

Fault bucket 158641531.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 08/11/2009 10:31:36 PM

'Application' Log - warning Type

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2009 10:52:24 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2009 10:02:40 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2009 8:07:22 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2009 11:21:16 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2009 9:30:36 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 23/11/2009 6:29:23 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2009 11:59:58 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2009 11:01:31 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2009 7:12:03 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2009 5:21:23 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 22/11/2009 4:11:21 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2009 6:57:40 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2009 3:59:31 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 21/11/2009 11:05:22 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 8:03:57 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 3:38:25 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 3:38:24 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 1:33:23 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 7:53:41 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 6:39:35 AM

'System' Log - error Type

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 3:37:03 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 3:34:39 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 20/11/2009 3:34:38 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2009 7:27:55 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2009 7:27:53 PM

'System' Log - warning Type

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:22:35 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:22:31 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:22:07 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:21:57 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:21:45 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 1:21:36 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/11/2009 12:59:49 AM

Event: 263 Source: PlugPlayManager

The service "Apple Mobile Device" may not have unregistered for device event notifications before it was stopped.

Did you back up your data as I recommended? If not then your should really do so as it still may turn out to be a bad hard drive that's causing your issues.

Once you've done a backup of your important files do the following:

Please run a Disk Check on your C: drive:

• Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Check Disk will notify you that it is going to run unless you cancel it by pressing any key, don't press any keys, just let it run
  • Once it finishes your PC will reboot again, once it does, log in to Windows normally

Download UPHClean-Setup.msi from here and install it. That will help to eliminate many of the errors that are showing up in your Event Logs.

I'm trying to find the post where you told the poster how to access the Events Log.
To open your Event Viewer:

• Click on Start
  • Select Control Panel
  • Select Performance and Maintenance (Note: if you do not see Performance and Maintenance listed click on the Switch to Category View link on the left pane of the window)
  • Open Administrative Tools
  • Double click Event Viewer

Hi,

Yes, backed up EVERYTHING but kitchen sink.

I couldn't get through the "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" - got the popup message: "Windows was unable to complete the disk check" (tried several times). RATS. Now what?

I want to wish you a very

Happy Thanksgiving

Thank you for being here to help us.

deebeee :(