Chkdsk -- Having problems running this - HELP

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sorry grasshopper, but no other box appears. I've tried it several times and only the box with "unable to complete disk check" appears. No other message re scheduling disk check the next time the computer reboots.

So you don't get a message that says this?:

The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

Please try it this way:

• Click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run box type cmd and press Enter
  • Copy and paste the following text in the code box into the black command prompt window and press Enter:
    echo y| chkdsk %systemdrive% /r

• Restart your computer and when it loads it will check the hard drive, don't press any keys so that it does so

• In the Run box type cmd and press Enter
  • Copy and paste the following text in the code box into the black command prompt window and press Enter:
    echo y| chkdsk %systemdrive% /r

I don't seem to have any luck at all -- there was a black box but it was titled C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe.

There was NO black command prompt window with a code box.

In the black box I got was the following copy:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

copyright ....

C:\Documents and Settings\Denise

When I input what you had indicated after "Denise" -- I got ^V

I'm sorry this is taking so much of your time. :(

You may have corrupted files on your disk. Please try running the following.

First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /F | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

You can't use CTRL+v on your keyboard to paste, you must use the right-click menu in the black window with your mouse and select Paste. That will paste the command you copied from the codebox into the black command window, then you just press Enter.

First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

I was able to run the Chkdsk -- it went through so many files and indexes.

Is this the correct way to access chkdsk in the future? I'll have to see if chkdsk helped.

If not, I guess it must be the hard drive?

Thanks very much.

You can't use CTRL+v on your keyboard to paste, you must use the right-click menu in the black window with your mouse and select Paste. That will paste the command you copied from the codebox into the black command window, then you just press Enter.

OK.

Once you've done that, reboot and the disk check should run and hopefully fix any errors. I just hope the hard drive isn't damaged and that it's just some run of the mill data corruption, that way you don't have to shell out the money on a replacement hard drive.

I already ran chkdsk. :( Advanced Setup instructed me to do the above prior to your post re right clicking, etc. It ran through tons of files and indexes and did various things, then rebooted the coputer, so I'm hoping something happened that will help the computer :(

You're very welcome :( .

You know my opinion of CyberDefender, but keeping it or not is of course up to you. Just don't take too long if you decide to get rid of it, as I'm sure they won't offer a refund if you've kept it for too long.

I would LOVE to get a refund and I asked the tech the other day -- he said NO. But I'm going to pursue it as I agree that CyberDefender it is a huge waste of money.

I think chkdsk helped. Things are definitely running faster. You were so patient and did so much work on this -- I really appreciate it. You and AdvancedSetup should be cloned. Ouch right. :(

I'll see how things go and let you know (also re a refund for CyberBunk.

They can be hard to deal with when it comes to getting refunds, and they're always trying to pull the same garbage they did with you, trying to get hundreds of dollars out of you for their "premium" support. There have been many reports by users on the web at Web of Trust (a site dedicated to rating the safety and legitimacy of websites on the internet) as well as in the comments from users on sites such as CNET/Download.com where CyberDefender is featured for download. If they give you too much trouble trying to get your money back just post here about it and I'll speak with one of the "Masters" about how to get them to give you a refund, as he's dealt with companies like them before.

AdvancedSetup is the best, he's helped me immensely in my time here and I'm always glad to get his assistance :( .

Thank you so much for the heads up re this company. I will definitely get back to you when and if they try to refuse a refund. I'm in New York State and our Attorney General, Andrew Cumo, eats companies like this for breakfast :( -- he has a class action lawsuit running against Dell re their lousy service to people.

Any help I can get from you guys re a refund will be so appreciated. When I was speaking with the "tech" for CyberDefender and he did this remote scan thing, the next thing he was advising was some ridiculously expensive "help" from some computer company here. It absolutely felt like such a scam from the first contact.

I will DEFINITELY be contacting our AG re this company. I'll keep you posted re all other things. AdvancedSetup certainly is! But you stuck with me through this and no matter how this turns out I won't forget your help.

Much to be grateful for tomorrow and every day.

:(

You should also contact your bank if CyberDefender refuses to give you a full refund. Be careful with their "tech support" as well, it seems that many have reported them actually putting infections ON people's computers when they get a chance, just so they can try to force you to pay their insane fees to have them clean it up. I found very interesting results just doing a google search for cyberdefender refund and that's where I read some of these reports. It appears actually removing their software from your system may be difficult as well, but of course, we can assist you with that, and our help is absolutely free :( .

Oh no, sounds like the company from HELL. I just ran a scan now and there were SUPPOSEDLY 17 ERRORS. How this can be is puzzling to me as my computer is running so much faster now. :(

BUT when you're a scam artist, things like this happen I guess.

I still can't believe how competent and wonderful you guys are on this site. Amazing.

Another system that did not work for me was Kaspersky Internet Security. It was actually one of their tech support guys who recommended Malwarebytes to me -- I am still waiting for a supposed refund from Kaspersky (half the cost of CyberDefend). It is definitely "buyer beware" out there.

Talk to you soon -- I have a feeling I will be getting a song and dance re the refund. Not good. :(

I'm a Kaspersky user myself, they are quite legit, but your issue doesn't seem virus related so Kaspersky wouldn't fix that. CyberDefender may be difficult to deal with, but as long as you can get your money back, we can help you get rid of the program from your system.

Oh I wasn't saying Kaspersky isn't legit -- I know a lot of people like them. I just could not figure out what was going on with my computer in general. Do Kaspersky (Internet Security) and Malwarebytes basically do the same thing?

Thanks again -- heading to sleep now zzzzz. Have a very good Thanksgiving. :(

Nope, Kaspersky is an antivirus, Malwarebytes' is not. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is made specifically to detect the threats that are missed by the majority of antiviruses, kind of like a second layer of defense against internet threats :( .

Thankfully there are quite a few free tech support sites like this one around the web and they've helped many users get their systems fixed and their issues resolved. This site in particular is focused primarily on the support of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, but the users here (including Malwarebyte's own employees like AdvancedSetup) are always willing to help with other issues as well, such as the problem you have/had :( .