Chkdsk -- Having problems running this - HELP

I belong to several on line groups and I have already told one group how great Malwarebytes forum is -- and about Malwarebytes anti-malware protection system.

Does Malwarebytes have a page on FaceBook??? That would be an excellent place to spread the word so to speak. There are many solid people and companies on FB now.

Hey, I'm off to sleep now for real. Talk to you soon and have a good day tomorrow.

denise :(

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I belong to several on line groups and I have already told one group how great Malwarebytes forum is -- and about Malwarebytes anti-malware protection system.
Thanks for spreading the word :( .
Does Malwarebytes have a page on FaceBook???
They sure do. Just look at the upper left of the forum page, you'll see two links there, one for their FaceBook page and one for their Twitter page ;) .
Talk to you soon and have a good day tomorrow.
Thanks, you too :) .

You're very welcome! ;)

Or in our signatures. Take care and hope your system is working better now. Thank you for the kind words as well.

Cheers.

Hmm, what does "or in our signatures" mean?? :( You're very welcome also. AOL is still taking forever to open up, but small steps and we'll see. I am sure I'll be back with other "issues" -- had problems accessing any videos posted on FB unless from YouTube.

Cheers to you too.

Oh drats -- back to "slowsville" again. Will have to deal with this tomorrow.

Oh, got a reply from CyberDefend re refund -- ;) they want to offer me a $25 Visa gift card and a $25 Rebate Card. ??? Sounds so weird. Here's what they said:

Thank you for contacting CyberDefender’s customer service.

We would like for you to keep the CyberDefender software and as a gesture of gratitude for

becoming a customer we would like to send you a FREE $25 Visa Gift Card and $25 Rebate

Card. The FREE $25 Visa Gift Card and $25 Rebate Card can be used within the United States

and Canada at major retailers such as Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Starbucks, Home Depot, &

many others.

Please let us know if you would accept our FREE offer so we can have one mailed to you right

away!

Thank you,

CyberDefender Customer Service

No emergency or rush.

I wonder if there is some back door open (as the CyberDefend tech said) that makes my computer vulnerable to whatever is continuing to crop up as errors which slow it down??

Should I run chkdsk again? Or should I do "restore" ??? It feels like I need to do more, hope it's not a new HD (yech).

Oh boy "Tales from the Computer Crypt." ;)

I suspect there may be a backdoor, according to many of the posts I've read from CyberDefender users, their techs actually place a backdoor on your system so they can reinfect you. I'd recommend not taking their offer, tell them you want a full refund of the transaction and you want all of their software off of your system, including any means they've used to have remote access to your system.

If that doesn't work out, then since you already did a backup of your data, I'd save any license keys for software you've purchased, and after getting your full refund from CyberDefender, use your recovery disc(s)/operating system disc to restore your computer completely to factory settings, that will wipe out any backdoor they may have left in place.

Based on all I've discovered about CyberDefender, I hope that someone among Malwarebytes' research staff takes a second look at the company and their practices and figures out which claims about them are true and which are not. Because if what I've been reading is true, then they certainly are malware and should be targetted by MBAM.

What AdvancedSetup meant by signatures, is the text at the bottom of a user's post. It's custom info that we put there, such as the list of my system and security software below each of mine. His contains the Malwarebytes' Staff logo since he works for the company along with the links to the Malwarebytes' Facebook and Twitter pages.

I ran the diagnostic test earlier. A lot of it is puzzling, but if you just answer yes, things move on.

First I did the Express Test and had the following error:

Error Code: 650F: 136C

Msg:IDE device failed; Blank media or no media is present in optical drive.

Test requries media with data (Resource CD.Installation CD).

After this I chose to continue the test.

Later, I went back and did the Long Test and this error code came up:

Error Code: 6553:031E. Failure of textmode pattern using video mode. 2h (80X25X16).

This occurred after I answered NO to a question re some symbols on a page and a question as to whether this was 80X25 -- I have NO idea what that was about.

Since there was no mention of hard drive problem after diagnostics were finished, I guess :( no hard drive issues (?).

I suspect there may be a backdoor, according to many of the posts I've read from CyberDefender users, their techs actually place a backdoor on your system so they can reinfect you. I'd recommend not taking their offer, tell them you want a full refund of the transaction and you want all of their software off of your system, including any means they've used to have remote access to your system.

I agree that there must be some back door -- definitely insisting on full REFUND and will stress that they MUST take all their software off my computer and YES especiallyany remote access to my system. Thanks for putting it all together for me.

I am going to reinstall my OS. Will probably/definitely need your help with this. Have vague recollection of this from years ago. Will go over user manual and see what I have to do to reinstall. A friend of mine says it takes a long time to install. I seem to remember a lot of that is just letting the computer do its work.

Since there was no mention of hard drive problem after diagnostics were finished, I guess :( no hard drive issues (?).
Good, it sounds like the Dell diagnostic tools didn't find any problems with your hard drive. That doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any, but since you've backed up your needed data you can proceed safely without concern of losing everything should the drive fail in the near future :) .
I agree that there must be some back door -- definitely insisting on full REFUND and will stress that they MUST take all their software off my computer and YES especiallyany remote access to my system.
If they won't refund your money, contact your bank/credit card company and explain the situation to see if they'll do a charge back and get your money back. As for removing their software/backdoor (if a backdoor exists, which I suspect it does and is likely built into their software), reformatting and reinstalling your operating system will get rid of it and since you plan to do that anyway, there's no need for them to do an uninstallation. You can even tell CyberDefender that you're doing so and that you won't ever be reinstalling their software, and as such, being that you are unsatisfied with their product and service, you would like a full refund :) .
I am going to reinstall my OS. Will probably/definitely need your help with this.
Of course :(
A friend of mine says it takes a long time to install. I seem to remember a lot of that is just letting the computer do its work.
Yes, reinstalling your OS can be time consuming, but most of it is indeed just waiting while Windows installs. I usually go watch some TV while I'm waiting :( .

Hi,

In trying to find out how to reinstall the OS I discovered that I can use the automatic Symantec system for PC restore. I did this (took about 2 hours with very little work for me) and I'm HOPING :( this will do the trick.

I just have to put back all the files I saved on my flash drive (no biggie). I'm hoping this is the END of this problem. We'll see.

Thanks,

denise :(

Excellent :(

As long as the Symantec PC Restore point was before CyberDefender was ever installed you should be in good shape. You should also run a Disk Check again to make sure that everything is alright before you delete your backup files from the flash drive (in fact, you might keep them on there anyway so you can have a backup if it's ever needed in the future).

I'm pretty sure the Symantec restore covered pre-CyberDefend -- CyberDefend is gone now. It's different than doing a system restore, so hope all is OK. Re disk check -- is that the code that AdvancedSetup gave me that ran chkdsk? Good idea to run it again. :(

I planned on keeping everything on the flash drive that I copied there -- I continually add to it as I don't want to lose files.

I'm installing a free firewall (zone alarm) as I heard MS's was useless.

Thanks so much for being there! :( Have a great weekend.

Yes, it likely used the same or similar functionality to Norton Ghost (also made by Symantec) which creates a full duplicate of your drive for later restoration. Very handy to have :( . You can use the code that AdvancedSetup posted to run Check Disk or you can see if it will now function as it should:

Please run a Disk Check on your C: drive:

• Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Yes button and restart your computer

I seem to remember that not working correctly before. You said it just gave you an error but didn't let you schedule the Check Disk for later as it should.

WOW -- I'm not used to my computer running so smoothly and so quickly. I'm so so happy it's doing this well.

I had to restart the computer to run chkdsk for some reason it gave. Chkdsk ran beautifully and did whatever it was supposed to do/or not do. Everything seems A-OK. Be still my heart.

Whew :(

Yes, it's normal for you to have to reboot. Whenever you try to run a Disk Check on the active hard drive (meaning the one that's running with Windows installed on it), many of the files are locked because they're in use by the operating system, meaning they can be checked, but should errors be found, they could not be corrected with the system booted. That's the reason you have to reboot when you run it and it runs before you ever get to the Windows log on screen :( .

I'm glad things are running smoothly now, that's great news :( . Now just be sure to do whatever you have to to get a full refund from CyberDefender and DO NOT let their techs anywhere near your PC. In fact, if you are able, I'd only contact them by phone if I were you as even email messages could contain malicious executable code. Should you need assistance with dealing with them let us know and I'll talk with one of our resident anti-scamware experts here to get some ideas on how to get your money back.

Thanks for the advice re not emailing CyberScammers. However, I emailed them this AM re insisting on a refund and assuring them I was removing their system from my computer. Next time I will call. Just a more of a pain to call, but you made a great point.

One more question (of course) -- Norton Ghost keeps popping up -- can I install/should I install? :(

Yes, go ahead and install it. That's what allowed you to restore your PC to begin with. It's a great utility to have. Once you get it installed, get all of your various softwares installed, update your drivers from Dell's support page, put your files back on the PC and then create a new backup using Ghost so that you'll be able to recover back to it later should you ever need to :( .

Yes, go ahead and install it. That's what allowed you to restore your PC to begin with. It's a great utility to have. Once you get it installed, get all of your various softwares installed, update your drivers from Dell's support page, put your files back on the PC and then create a new backup using Ghost so that you'll be able to recover back to it later should you ever need to :( .

OH BOY -- don't know if I can get it back -- thought I was finished (haha). Thanks for the to do list (seriously thanks!).

You likely do have it, as it sounds like it came with your PC (although I could be wrong). It should already be installed, you can check Add/Remove Programs to verify it. If it isn't let me know and I can recommend a free alternative that will provide the same functionality.

If you need any assistance with the other steps I recommended let me know and I'll help you out. In fact, if you provide the model # of your Dell I can find their support page for it that will have the drivers.

Also, once you've finished installing and setting everything up, I can have you use a tool called Autoruns and I'll assist you in disabling unneeded startup items, thus improving your system's performance even further :( .

Oh great :( -- it IS on my system list. Do I need to activate it? When the popup appeared before, it asked if I wanted to do something (can't remember) -- I stupidly clicked no as I thought it might conflict with AVG.

My computer is: Dell Dimension DE 051. Do I need to do something about the drivers?

I will definitely let you know when I've finished transferring files, etc. -- that would be great to use Autoruns and improve the speed of the computer. I find that when I'm on FB, it is SLOW. So not sure if it's FB or my computer or a bit of both.

Thank you so much.

Yes, you should activate it. As long as it's only Ghost and not Norton Internet Security or Norton Antivirus then there won't be any conflicts. Also be sure to update AVG with the latest definitions. You should also install MBAM and update it to use as a second opinion, occasionally running on-demand Quick Scans to verify you're clean (please be sure to update MBAM's definitions before each scan). You might also consider purchasing MBAM as an added layer of protection for your PC so that you get its active protection features (do keep in mind I'm no salesman and I do not work for Malwarebytes', this is merely a suggestion and certainly not a requirement for the assistance you've received already or will receive here in the future. Our help is absolutely free with no obligation on your part whatsoever :( ).

I can't seem to locate that particular model #. Are you sure that it's correct? It will likely be on the front of the desktop and also on a black sticker on the side or the back of the tower.

It could just be FaceBook, be sure and be careful on there too, there's been a lot of bad stuff (infections) going around on social networking sites lately, and it's been particularly bad on FB due to its current popularity.

You're very welcome :(

Lots more questions (sorry):

1) Nortons Ghost -- How do I activate it -- sorry, just have no idea how to do this.

2) Definitions -- What are these and how do I update them for AVG and MBAM?

3) MBAM -- What exactly is MBAM? Is it a virus program too? Can I have both MBAM and AVG at the same time? I'll have to wait if money is involved, but I will check on it and see what it costs.

4) Dell Dimension 8110 -- sorry.

Not sure how to be careful on FB except to limit using links. Since it's not a "secure" site, I figured there could be some risk. EEEKS. :(

I know you are not a "salesman" -- don't worry. You're a big help. :(

1) Nortons Ghost -- How do I activate it -- sorry, just have no idea how to do this.
Just click on Start>All Programs and look for a folder called either Symantec or Norton Ghost and run the main program by clicking on its shortcut, it should provide onscreen instructions guiding you on what needs to be done :( .
2) Definitions -- What are these and how do I update them for AVG and MBAM?
Definitions are the latest update signatures used by your security software to be able to detect the latest threats :) . You open the program and click on Update (sometimes on a tab called Updates).
3) MBAM -- What exactly is MBAM? Is it a virus program too? Can I have both MBAM and AVG at the same time? I'll have to wait if money is involved, but I will check on it and see what it costs.
MBAM, or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, is an anti-malware tool designed to detect the latest internet threats that the majority of antivirus softwares like AVG tend to miss detecting or fail to remove, it is designed to be able to run in realtime without conflicting with your antivirus software.
Not sure how to be careful on FB except to limit using links. Since it's not a "secure" site, I figured there could be some risk.
Yes, not clicking on links is very important, so is not clicking on ads as they can often be malicious as well.

Is this what your system looks like?: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Keep your system updated:

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:

• I advise you visit Microsoft Update
  • Install the Active X
  • Once installed it will recommend that you turn on Automatic Updates if not set and you then you will be able to manually check for updates also via:
  • Start >> All Programs >> Microsoft Updates
  • Install any critical updates that are available then reboot when it asks you to
  • Return to the site again to check for more updates and install them
  • Repeat this process until it says there are no important updates to install

All of these steps will help, I'll provide more info as we proceed, I just don't want to overwhelm you with too much "homework" :( . Please let me know if the image in the link I posted is your system.

edit: I forgot to mention, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware costs $24.95 for a lifetime license for one PC (should you ever replace your PC you can move your license to a new one).

Hi,

I'm installing Nortons Ghost BUT it apparently is only free for 90 days.

Bottom line for me -- money is a huge concern. When I get my refund from CyberDefend - it is already spoken for. I simply cannot afford anything for the computer.

OK - so definitions are updates.

Dell -- I have the Dimension B110 (checked my old invoice) -- sorry.

I'm kind of overwhelmed to be honest :( as I know very little about computers, but I'll do the things you mentioned tomorrow.

Thank you again for all the input -- free is the name of the game for me.

I'm going to install some free systems a friend told me about:

Spybot - cleans your computer of stuff like trojans

CC Cleaner -- cleans temporary internet files

Zone Alarm - firewall.

Have a good night -- I'm heading for the couch. :(

I'm installing Nortons Ghost BUT it apparently is only free for 90 days.
No problem :( . A free alternative to Ghost would be Macrium Reflect Free Edition. A good tutorial on its use can be found here :( .
I have the Dimension B110 (checked my old invoice) -- sorry.
No problem :) . The appropriate page for driver updates would be here.
Thank you again for all the input -- free is the name of the game for me.

I'm going to install some free systems a friend told me about:

Spybot - cleans your computer of stuff like trojans

CC Cleaner -- cleans temporary internet files

Zone Alarm - firewall.

Good ideas, I use 2 out of the three myself. I'd also recommend you be sure to use Spybot Search & Destroy's Immunize function, and update it regularly, making sure to re-immunize after each update to help block the latest nasties.
Bottom line for me -- money is a huge concern. When I get my refund from CyberDefend - it is already spoken for. I simply cannot afford anything for the computer.
I totally understand, I'll work with you and we'll do all we can to get your PC as secure as possible for no cost at all :) .