Update on Launch

firzen771

for the people who use MBAM simply as an ondemand/right-click scanner, i think it wuld be really helpful to have an option to "update on launch" cuz atm whenever i do a right-click scan, it uses the old signatures since it wont update on its own, that means i have to open MBAM ahead of time, update it THEN i can right-click scan with newest definitions, it wuld make it a lot easier to just have an auto update on program launch.

The paid version does support auto updates. Thank you.

i know it does, but thats on an interval, it wont update when ur doing just an ondemand scan which means u wont be using the latest signatures, it wuld be a good option to have MBAM be able to update as soon as u open it for people who use it simply for like right-click scanning.

i know it does, but thats on an interval, it wont update when ur doing just an ondemand scan which means u wont be using the latest signatures, it wuld be a good option to have MBAM be able to update as soon as u open it for people who use it simply for like right-click scanning.

so what im suggesting probly wont be included is basically what im getting? its a shame, its a very handy and simple feature that wuld make people who use MBAM PURELY as a right-click/ondemand scanner have a much easier time doing scans.

I use the paid version of MBAM, having purchased a license about a week ago.

The auto update, only checks once a day, at a time the user can specify. I have noticed, however, that updates are usually issued 3 or 4 times a day.

It would be great if MBAM would auto update as soon as an update was released, instead of waiting for the predetermined update time, usually the following day.

It will not let me EDIT so I have read your post again and I'm assuming that you have a paid version and you want to add that function to Right click scans right?

TH

yes, i just want to use MBAM for right-click scans and its a pain having to open MBAM manually, update it, THEN right-click and scan the file... because MBAM won't update itself when u launch the program, IMO it wuld be very simple to just add a little tick option to "update on program launch"

AFAIK, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware isn't even that effective when used from the right-click context menu. My understanding in the way it works is that it doesn't use the program's heuristic detection feature which makes the program so effective in the first place. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.

On a side note, in my opinion, the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware offers a lot of features already. If it offered free automatic updates, it would lose a feature offered in the paid version which could take away from the funding that helps them continue to remain the best in anti-malware; folks would feel like they didn't need the paid version if all the features were included in the free version. Anyway, in my experience, most free versions of security tools and anti-virus/malware tools do not offer free automatic updates.

• 1 month later...

From the help file included in the installation:

/runupdate: allows you to update the program without displaying result dialogs.

/updateshowdialog: allows you to update the program displaying all dialogs.

example: "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runupdate from Start Menu -> Run...

Or you can setup a shortcut on the desktop with the path to mbam.exe and your command line parameter of choice.

Regards,

Keith

I use the paid version of MBAM, having purchased a license about a week ago.

The auto update, only checks once a day, at a time the user can specify. I have noticed, however, that updates are usually issued 3 or 4 times a day.

It would be great if MBAM would auto update as soon as an update was released, instead of waiting for the predetermined update time, usually the following day.

You can set MBAM to check for updates every hour through "Scheduled Task" in the Control Panel (first set the Update feature in MBAM to 12:00AM). Now, open Scheduled Task in the Control Panel andRight click on the MBAM item and choose Properties. click the Schedule tab, set it for Daily at 12:00AM and every 1 day, then click the Advanced button, check "repeat task", then choose the options that you want such as every hour with a duration of 24 hours. Now, MBAM will check for updates every hour continuously. This setting arrangement is for XP but may work on other OS. This could also be set up for the MBAM Free using a command line in Scheduled Tasks.