error code 703 (0,5

Error code 703 means: Error parsing the database.

Please download the utility from the following link, and it should reinstall the database so that you can update it through Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

It may also be necessary to reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. To do so, please uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware normally, restart your computer, run the utility at the following link, restart your computer again, and then reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

Please download a fresh copy from the following link for the reinstall if needed:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe

Note:

This issue could be caused by something corrupting or deleting the database. What version of Windows is your computer running?

Error code 703 means: Error parsing the database.

Please download the utility from the following link, and it should reinstall the database so that you can update it through Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

It may also be necessary to reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. To do so, please uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware normally, restart your computer, run the utility at the following link, restart your computer again, and then reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

Please download a fresh copy from the following link for the reinstall if needed:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe

Note:

This issue could be caused by something corrupting or deleting the database. What version of Windows is your computer running?

I am running windows XP

Greetings to both of you ;) .

Please try the following to see if it clears up the problem once and for all:

Show Hidden Files and Folders (XP):

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Show Hidden Files and Folders (Vista and 7):

• Click on the Vista Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Once you've done that please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 32 bit versions Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please post back and let us know how it went.

You are very welcome :) .

I'm very sorry that you've had this issue. It seems to be happening a lot lately to many users and I've yet to find a singular cause, but these steps (or variations of them), have seemed to fix the issue for most, if not all, of the users I've seen with the problem so far. Hopefully you won't have to deal with the problem again.

If you need anything else feel free to post.

Just turned the comp. back on after letting it rest a few hours... Unfortunately, when I clicked on Malwarebytes, the same error code of 703 (0, 5) reappeared... Not sure what is happening... I am suspecting this is related to the presence of AVG--AVG recently seems to particularly target Malwarebytes as incompatible with its own system (I do not presume to know whether as high-pressure corporate tactic or unconscious accident)... Do we have to choose between the two? R.

Hi Lovecraftian, I don't think you will have to choose between the two.

I use AVG (paid) and I haven't had this happen on my system, it seems completely random as of yet, but you should probably add some exclusion files,

which Exile360 posted in an earlier reply in this thread :blink: If you need help with that, just post back and someone can help you. I am not sure exactly where the exclusions go, though, so someone else will need to assist you with that.

I'll chime in here too since I'm experiencing the same 703 error using a Pentium 4 with Win7 (32 bit), AVG Security Suit with the recommended exclusions. (Have never had a problem running Malwarebytes with same AVG program on XP machine.) After running the "cleaner" and reinstalling, MB runs fine, but eventually ends up with the same 703 error. Sure would like to get to the bottom of this, and appreciate your efforts toward finding a solution.

The common cause of all of these "703" errors certainly seems to be related to something that has changed with AVG. Unfortunately excluding the files doesn't seem to be working :) . I highly recommend that, along with tracking the issue on this forum and working with the Malwarebytes' staff to find a suitable solution, that all AVG users having this problem also please contact AVG via their support if using a paid version of AVG, and via their support forum for the free version if that's the one you're using. Although I believe they are aware of the problem, the more users that let them know that they are experiencing the issue, the more likely a fix is to come in a timely manner.

The common cause of all of these "703" errors certainly seems to be related to something that has changed with AVG. ...
Since I'm running the same AVG and Malwarebytes on another computer with XP Pro without any problems, I can't help but wondering if it might have more to do with Windows 7 than AVG. Just something to consider!

Since I'm running the same AVG and Malwarebytes on another computer with XP Pro without any problems, I can't help but wondering if it might have more to do with Windows 7 than AVG. Just something to consider!

Probably not. I run on Windows 7 x64 with Microsoft Security Essentials, and I have never had the issue.

Thanks for everyones replies. Still having the problem, but not giving up.

I temporarily disabled AVG, and the error code was still there, so I am guessing I was probably incorrect in my earlier guess of a connection with AVG; I really don't know what is the culprit here, and did not mean to stir up trouble for AVG or anyone else... The solutions offered so far do not work, but I am not giving up. I wonder if these is related to some invisible, deep-level virus or spyware issue?...