'Web Protection' hangs PC

39 minutes ago, tkmops said:

I upgraded from Win 7 SP1.

I am going to sit back and wait on what actions you plan to take. Since you have made some registry changes and who knows what else I will just go with my following advice.

Personally, From experience with client computers, I never "upgrade" from Windows 7. I always backup data and do a clean install of 10 and restore data.

When you "upgrade" you end up taking glitches along with you to a new OS. I am also curious where did you get the disk for your Win 10 since it is so old.

To be brutally honest, if this computer was brought to me, it would have a clean install done no exceptions.

Yes, I'm aware of that...all my 'data' resides on external drives, and I export my Chrome bookmarks to one of those, once a month, and have a list of my Chrome extensions. I also do a Reg back up, backup my desk top, save my WMP settings, etc... 

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I am going to sit back and wait on what actions you plan to take. Since you have made some registry changes and who knows what else I will just go with my following advice.

Personally, From experience with client computers, I never "upgrade" from Windows 7. I always backup data and do a clean install of 10 and restore data.

When you "upgrade" you end up taking glitches along with you to a new OS. I am also curious where did you get the disk for your Win 10 since it is so old.

To be brutally honest, if this computer was brought to me, it would have a clean install done no exceptions.

I had a local tech shop do the upgrades...the Win 10, and the hardware. 

12 minutes ago, tkmops said:

I had a local tech shop do the upgrades...the Win 10, and the hardware. 

Well I don't make it a habit to bash other shops but I would have used a current ISO "if" anything was done and also highly recommended to replace the computer instead of doing any upgrades to the hardware on such an old system. I have been known to refuse money when I do not think a particular upgrade is wise or cost effective.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well I don't make it a habit to bash other shops but I would have used a current ISO "if" anything was done and also highly recommended to replace the computer instead of doing any upgrades to the hardware on such an old system. I have been known to refuse money when I do not think a particular upgrade is wise or cost effective.

Yes, I know the optimal option would have been a brand new PC that supported Win 11...but I don't have the $2K. I'm retired living off savings...won't be able to collect SS until Mar 2024. I'm going to have to wait until then, or the supply chain is restored, COVID is gone, the threat of nuclear annihilation(war with Russia/China/North Korea, etc...is becoming more likely) is less, etc...and prices come down(although that's probably NOT going to happen!) I think I'm stuck with what I got, unless you can point me to an online? store with pre-built PC's that are max $1,200?  

I getting confused today.

I see your point, I was confusing your case with another user.

I too have a system that is about just a year newer than yours. I am riding out 10 until 2025 when I bet I will find another 8th gen system to move to.

I would bet your system would run perfectly with Malwarebytes if your Windows was clean installed with the current version.

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I getting confused today.

I see your point, I was confusing your case with another user.

I too have a system that is about just a year newer than yours. I am riding out 10 until 2025 when I bet I will find another 8th gen system to move to.

I would bet your system would run perfectly with Malwarebytes if your Windows was clean installed with the current version.

Yep, that's the plan for now, do the Win upgrade now, use it till 2025, by then, hopefully, we will be out of COVID, supply-chain issues, high prices, I'll have more $$ to spend. Then spring for a new Win 11 PC, all new motherboard, parts, and if I can afford it, a 4K monitor, and a GPU that will support 4K. Oh well, look how long I made my Win 7 system last...and it worked just fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update 6-17-22:

My PC rebooted itself...installing a Microsoft Edge(which I don't use) update, AND Win 10 20h2(waiting on a restart)

That link that was posted before in this thread(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10)...what version is that? 20h2, or 21h2?

I've noticed that there's a Win 10 21H2 version. If the version at the above link is 20H2, do I install that one, then 21H2, or can I go straight to 21H2? If so, where do I download it from?

If that link is 21h2, do I first reboot, then download that, or can I skip 20h2, download that link, then reboot? Will my PC get 'confused' having 20h2 and 21h2 upgrades...will it 'know' to skip 20h2, and do 21h2?

Also, I've noticed in Task Mgr that 'Windows Driver Foundation-User mode Driver Framework Host Process' is using 33% CPU, power usage 'Very High'. Any idea of what's causing that? And how to fix it?  

42 minutes ago, tkmops said:

That link that was posted before in this thread(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10)...what version is that? 20h2, or 21h2?

It will upgrade you to the current 21h2. You will skip right to the current if that makes sense to you.

Finally was able to do the Win 10 update to 21h2...although it says that my current version is Win 10.0.19044 build 19044...is that the same as 21h2? My update doesn't show any updates pending. New issue....my Malwarebytes won't start...getting 'unable to connect the service'.   

55 minutes ago, tkmops said:

New issue....my Malwarebytes won't start...getting 'unable to connect the service'.   

Restart the computer and get a new set of logs.

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay...had a very busy week or so with my eBay store. I updated my Win 10 to 2h21, rebooted, then it wanted another reboot to install the latest .NET Framework updates. Did that, and am now back up. 

I will do the Malwarebytes support tool and upload those logs soon.

Thanks for all your help and support!  

3 hours ago, tkmops said:

Here those logs.

Lets start with some unneeded software, Please uninstall the following,

Adobe AIR

Adobe Shockwave Player 12.2

Apple Mobile Device Support

Apple Software Update

Bonjour

CCleaner

Defraggler

GWX Control Panel

HitmanPro 3.7

HP Customer Participation Program 13.0

Java 8 Update 101

Microsoft Silverlight

Windows 10 Update Assistant

Product Improvement Study for HP Deskjet 1510 series

If any the above requires a restart please do so then move to the next item. After they are all uninstalled, Please restart one more time and post a new log from the support tool.

While I CAN uninstall those programs, WHY do I need to? My Malwarebytes premium was working(except for the web protection) for the past 2+ years, WITH those programs installed. Attached is latest screen cap of the error I get when trying to 'start' the service. 

malwarebytes error 7-9-22.jpg

1 minute ago, tkmops said:

WHY do I need to?

They are unneeded and a couple are actually unwanted like CCleaner.

Your computer was "upgraded" from Windows 7 to 10. That can leave behind some issues for some.

I am for now just asking you to uninstall some things I would do if it was setting in my shop being serviced.

OK, before I start uninstalling programs...

1) I know what some programs have co-dependencies/shared files with each other(uninstalling one program could impact others)...are you sure it's safe to uninstall ALL those programs?

2) I've been using CCleaner for many years(close to 20)...why is it 'unwanted'? It's been doing a good job of cleaning out a lot of 'junk' files and cleaning my registry. Does it now have malware, virus, 'bloat-ware', etc...?

2 minutes ago, tkmops said:

I know what some programs have co-dependencies/shared files with each other(uninstalling one program could impact others)...are you sure it's safe to uninstall ALL those programs?

I only listed safe to uninstall programs.

3 minutes ago, tkmops said:

cleaning my registry.

Never use any registry cleaner. It leads to issues where in the end you need to reinstall Windows to fix.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from being out-of-town for almost 6 weeks. I think that I posted before that I'm on call 24/7/365 as Mainframe Hardware/Software engineer, and I have to be ready to travel anywhere in the world with a 6 hour notice. First, it was off to Japan for a few weeks, and I was coming home, got called to Europe for another 2 weeks, then off to Africa for another 2.  Just booted up, and installed the latest Win 10 updates, then Malwarebytes updated itself to  4.5.13.208 package 1.0.59015  component package 1.0.1740. It came up with all the 'real-time protections' turned-on. It's been a few hours and so far, no slowness or garbled audio.

In task manager, the Windows Driver Foundation-User mode Driver Framework Host Process is still  high CPU(31%), and 'very high' power usage, as it was before...not sure what's causing that. I don't think it's a Malwarebytes issue, I think it may be due to my upgrade from Win 7 to 10, as I never had that issue before. 

I think we're OK...I'll post back in a few days with results if there's a slowness, or garbled audio. Thanks for all your help! 

• Like 1