'Web Protection' hangs PC

I have Malwarebytes Premium 4.5.7.186 package 1.0.53082, component 1.0.1645 and have an issue that hasn't been resolved for about 2 years.

About 2 years ago, my Malwarebytes started using excessive memory, and would 'hang' my PC, with the only option of doing a hard reboot.

After numerous forum posts, I discovered that turning off the 'Web Protection' under 'Real-Time Protection' reduced the memory usage, and would not cause my PC to hang.

I recently turned on the 'Web Protection', and within 20 mins, there was excessive memory usage, and noticeable slow-down of PC function. I was able to turn it back to 'off', and everything returned to normal.

Does anyone if this has been resolved? What is the fix?

Thanks! 

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

8 minutes ago, tkmops said:

Does anyone if this has been resolved? What is the fix?

I have not see any recent reports. If you are using the same computer from 2020 that you posted about then, your post was closed due to no response.

You need to do the steps offered in a timely manner and not be too busy with other things with the computer.

For now, Lets get logs.

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I've finally had the time to proceed with this. Since my last post I've upgraded to Win 10 home 64-bit, upgraded my quad-core i5 3.10 GHz to a quad-core i7 3770 3.40GHz, and increased my RAM from 16 to 32GB.

After all the upgrades, when I booted up, Malwarebytes had turned-on the 'web protection', which had been turned off for the past two years, as I found out through experimentation, that having it turned on was causing my audio to 'break-up'/screech, and then within about 10 mins, hang the PC.

After the boot up, for about a day or so, everything seemed work, although, for upgrading my CPU and doubling my RAM, it performed as it did before the upgrades...nothing was faster.

On the second day, I noticed a 'slowness'...clicking on a folder would take 5 seconds or longer...before it would be instant. Playing a video would open the video player(WMP), but the video would not start for 2 mins.

On the 3rd day, the audio, when playing videos, would 'break-up', and screech every few mins. This is what happened two years ago, when 'web-protection' was on.

At this point, everything was slowing down....I thought I might hang again, so I turned 'web protection' off. And now everything is back to normal, with  a bit of increase in speed due to the new CPU and extra RAM
I'm guessing that having the extra RAM has enabled my PC to last longer with the 'web-protection' turned on(3 days now, as opposed to 15 mins two years ago)?

I've run this test:
Opened Task Manager, and moved it to the left side of my monitor, opened Malwarebytes control panel, and moved it to the right of my monitor. Took note of my CPU, RAM, and MBAM service usage. Then turned on 'web protection', and noticed the usage. CPU RAM MBAM before CPU:17%   RAM:19%   MBAM 227,888, and after CPU:17%  RAM:19% MBAM 324,000....this is after 10 mins. 

I ran the 'MBST Support Tool', and it said it had placed the 'mbst-grab-results.zip' on my desktop...but I didn't see it, and couldn't find it anywhere. Is there a way of running this, and directing it to place it where I choose? Or does it un-zip it, and place the files that were inside somewhere? If so, what are those file named?  

Any ideas as to why this is still happening?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, tkmops said:

The support tool is trying to put the results file in a path that no longer exists...how can I change that?

it should put it on the desktop of the user account you are using. Are you signed into an Administrator account?

9 minutes ago, tkmops said:

OK, made the old path, ran it again...attached. Still not appearing on my desktop, though.

mbst-grab-results.zip 12.96 MB · 0 downloads

Product Name:        Windows 10 Home
Architecture:        x64
Current Build:       18362
Release ID:          1903

I would start by updating Windows to the current version.

Windows 10, version 1903 reached the end of service on December 8, 2020.

You might have to to do it manually with a current ISO.

Edited by Porthos

6 minutes ago, tkmops said:

I have is already out of date? 

Way out of date. Current version is 21h2.

image.png.72ffc7752fca2310cd14ba8ad7849c26.png

Also keep in mind after all the money you just spent, Windows 10 will loose all support in Oct 2025.

Your system is not compatible with Windows 11.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, tkmops said:

When I go to 'update', it says 'no new updates available' Your are up-to-date'

That is what happens when each version goes end of service.

You are going to have to do it manually. That being said, I would not have done an upgrade to 10, I would have backed up data and done a clean install.

But you can update what you have by clicking the highlighted button at the following site. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

image.thumb.png.17224af9025cf9aa23ad39a08439ba3e.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tkmops said:

so are you saying that I NEED TO do the update before I can get any help with my issue?

You have some issues with your Windows install that will probably be fixed with the upgrade. The upgrade serves as a repair install.

So, you're saying that I've had issues with my PC for the past 2+years, that only affected Malwarebytes 'web protection'(I have no other issues)? I don't think the reason was the version of Win that I used, as I've been using Win 7 since it came out, and only started having the 'web protection' issue 2 years ago.  Unless some settings got changed somewhere/sometime that causes the 'web protection' to eat up CPU cycles?  

After your next response...if you still think that I should update, then I try it.

• Root Admin

All good. At this point please just run the update listed by @Porthos above @tkmops

Then once that has been completed and you have restarted the computer click on Start  Search and type in "Check for updates" and have Windows scan for and install any updates it finds.

Once all updates have been installed and you have restarted the computer, please get us the following new logs.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

thanks for the fast response. OK will do...will take some time, as I need to work it around my eBay store..need to do some store updates, prep some orders to ship, etc...will post back when I can.

Thanks for everyone's help...hope to post back soon!