windows presentation foundation 3.5.30729.1 and FF

chimpy

FF just popped up and disabled my windows presentation foundation 3.5.30729.1 and said it was for my protection :D It said I had to close the browser to implement the change but when I checked the plug in it was already disabled and no button visable to enable it, I click on the "more info" link that was there but the list it gave did not mention WPF, I closed my browser which was running sandboxed and re opened it and WPF is enabled and FF has just given me another pop up about it .. :D

Anyone else have this?

ffpopup-1.jpg

EDIT

I have post a question about it on the forums and found this link while googling http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Firefox-Micros...,news-4888.html makes for a interesting read.

@ Chimpy

You're welcome. I am sorry I wasn't more helpful, though.

I have no idea what this add-on is. Only windows thing I have on my add-ons is Windows Media Player Dynamic Link Library.

@ AdvancedSetup

Thanks for the confirmation!

I've never even heard of it till this post, I wonder where it came from and why its even in the FF add-ons list :/

• Root Admin

Microsoft exposes Firefox users to drive-by malware downloads

blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=4614

Sneaky Microsoft plug-in puts Firefox users at risk

www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139459/Sneaky_Microsoft_plug_in_puts_Firefox_users_at_risk

http://blogs.technet.com/srd/archive/2009/...y-bulletin.aspx

Ah thanks alot everyone, I see that it is now on FF blocked list as it was not last night, I had .NET disabled but when it changed to WPF I forgot to disable that. Good job FF is looking out for us.

@catscomputer I use the same FF as you 3.5.3

Thanks for the article, Ron. I don't completely understand it though, I'll re-read it a few times :D

Ick.

Why would Microsoft do that? :D

I'm glad that FF is on top of this, though :)

Edit: Last February? :/

and this?

What was particularly galling to users was that once installed, the .NET add-on was virtually impossible to remove from Firefox. The usual "Disable" and "Uninstall" buttons in Firefox's add-on list were grayed out on all versions of Windows except Windows 7, leaving most users no alternative other than to root through the Windows registry, a potentially dangerous chore, since a misstep could cripple the PC.

:/

According to Microsoft, the vulnerability is "critical," and also can be exploited against users running any version of IE, including IE8.

I don't really get that, has the IE vulnerability been patched?

I'm just glad that I don't have the WPF add-on! What is wrong with Microsoft?

@ Catscomputer

Did you see this:

Please note that Silverlight 3 is not affected by this bulletin. Users who have upgraded to Silverlight 3 are not vulnerable to attacks from malicious Silverlight applications.

and this:

2. Temporarily disable Silverlight

a. This workaround is not applicable for Silverlight 3 users as Silverlight 3 is not vulnerable.

b. If you can upgrade to Silverlight 3, we recommend you do that instead of using this workaround.

c. Detailed steps are available in the security bulletin: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS06-061.mspx.

d. This workaround prevents Silverlight from loading, preventing malicious websites from exploiting this vulnerability, but also preventing non-malicious Silverlight applications from loading.

If you have the most current version, I don't think you are at risk, according to that. Found that on the clickable link that Ron gave :D

It's still in my Firefox Plugins as Windows Presentation Foundation 3.5.30729.1

ID: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\V3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation\NPWPF.dll

Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers

Thats from Jacktivity from the link in my last post so I presume that its the same as mine in the C:\ drive too, just interesting how some people have .NET and WPF if .NET is now supposed to be WPF... All very confusing! :D

I thought about getting chrome but I love my add-ons, well the ones FF does not disable :D but I know lots of people moving from FF due to the memory leak which is up to 50% in some cases, thankfully I have not had this problem so will stick by FF for the time being.