A brief comment on using MBAE with Windows XP SP3

hake

I have discovered that MBAE 1.13 causes Windows XP SP3 to hang randomly, very occasionally but without warning.  There is no obvious pattern with this behaviour.  I regularly use MS Word 2003 on XP but rarely use Excel 2003 so when I recently did need to use it I found that it would immediately crash (as also did MS Publisher 2000). Word 2003 always runs without problems.  After some floundering around, I ended up substituting MBAE 1.12.1.90 for the lastest MBAE version and those MS applications then ran properly and XP also stopped hanging.

I only mention this as feedback on very good software whose latest incarnations have obviously moved beyond being suitable for use on a very old OS., i.e. Windows XP. I guess that this also applies to equally ancient applications.

Edited by hake

I don't know how I managed to download the MBAE 1.13.1.384 setup file first time.  I cannot logon to either the Malwarebytes person account or the box.com account.  I guess that my Malwarebytes forum credentials are different.  I do not have a box.com account.

I have found that the first link given to me for the download of the MBAE 1.13.1.384 now tells me that it no longer works.  Pedro asked me to try this version of MBAE with XP.  I am unable to do this.

• Staff

Good practice. We've noticed what "could be" corrupt config files after upgrades, but no concrete evidence yet. If you experience that, please let me know.

Edit to clarify: it's just a hypothesis at the time, and only for a small segment corner-case users.

Edited by pbust

On 5/31/2021 at 7:24 AM, pbust said:

that might be due to MSFT's deprecation of SHA2 digital signatures and new signing requirements.

That is what the error is about. I do not know if it is available for XP. All I saw in the MS catalog is for Windows 7.

Edited by Porthos

• Staff

I wonder what MSFT is doing with all those super large enterprises which have paid it millions to continue supporting XP. Maybe there's a hotfix for them, just not available publicly. Lemme discuss internally with the team.

Evolution has left my XP system behind.  This doesn't worry me because it is most definitely not used to sensitive purposes.  I have used it like I would drive a classic car since April 2014 and since when I have received MS security updates (POSReady and WEPOS) until August 2018 when Microsoft seemingly dropped pre-SSE2 processor support.

POSReady and WEPOS updates never caused any problems.  Since my first use of Windows in 1992, I have yet to experience the effects of malware on any of my Windows installations (all internet exposed since 1995) including XP.

• Root Admin

@pbust

Isn't this due to SHA-2 certificate connection trying to connect and pull down the rest of the installer?

What if you provided a current full build instead of a web installer build. Of course if there is anything inside the code that calls out trying to do that same SHA-2 certificate connection then you'd run into another error.

I can get TLS 1.3 working on XP but that doesn't provide the certificate chain for SSL connections.

image.png

I can get Microsoft Live mail to work in the browser too, but the full SSL certificate chain does not work on XP. I'm looking around but so far I've not found a way to force it or cheat/enable it on XP.

image.png

I think this error is what we put in the code for Windows 7 computers to update which do support SHA-2 and the certificate chain it wants.

image.png