Only Excel Files are opening with Excel Mobile

reza_88

Hello,

I am using MS Office Pro Plus 2019

After updated to Windows 10 Build 1903 I have been seeing two bizarre phenomena:

1. if an excel file is hooked up in the task viewer, and then if I click that excel file it now opens with Excel Mobile (read only mode)

I have tried removing the file from task viewer, checked with other excel file to see if it was a problem with certain excel file. I have observed it is only happening with Excel files. Any PPT or Word files hooked in the task viewer opens just fine with MS Office Word or Powerpoint.

I tried repairing from apps and features>modify. But it doesnt work at all.

Hello and Welcome, please provide these logs so the team can get a better look at what may be going on.

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:
NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab

1944505166_Repairmenu_arrows.png.566f861

7. Click the Gather Logs button

Advanced_arrows.png.4bf56db369b0b175ee2b

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

715586608_AdvancedGatherLogs_arrows.png.

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK

164871969_AdvancedGatherLogscompleted_ar

10. Please attach the file in your next reply.

@exile360 @Firefox problem solved. Excel Mobile was actually installed on my Laptop. Honestly I do not know when or how the bloody mobile version of Excel was installed on the machine. I uninstalled Excel Mobile from start menu and it apparently is fixed. But before that I had to roam around in the settings menu to see the file type associations, there I first discovered Excel Mobile was there.

Yes, every excel file hooked up in the Task Viewer was being opened by Excel mobile even though the associations for xls and xlsx was set to Excel by default the xls/xlsx docs were opening smoothly Only when they were in the task veiwer. Strange, no other MS Office App was installed, only the Excel Mobile one 🙄

Fun fact, when tagging your name I wrote excel360 and was wondering why tag still not appearing 😛

48 minutes ago, reza_88 said:

Fun fact, when tagging your name I wrote excel360 and was wondering why tag still not appearing 😛

Hehe, no worries, I can see how that could happen, especially given the subject matter of this thread.

I'm glad that you were able to figure it out and get it fixed :)