Sudden sporadic BSOD due to Malwarebytes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/18/2019 at 4:46 AM, LiquidTension said:

Hello,

I'm just checking in to see how you're getting on. We're still hoping to obtain a full memory dump from any blue screens encountered with the latest version of Malwarebytes (3.7.1).

It seemed fine for a bit, but I woke up to find my computer crashed. You can download the full memory dump https://we.tl/t-7tq5GjR1Jw, along with the logs gathered from the support tool attached to this post.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hi @enyceedanny,

Was the machine idle when you left the machine (prior to you finding it had blue screened)?

You have BitDefender Total Security version
23.0.8.20 installed. However, the latest version is  23.0.19.85. Whilst we review the data further, can you please update to version 23.0.19.85 and verify if the blue screens persist or not.

1 hour ago, LiquidTension said:

Hi @enyceedanny,

Was the machine idle when you left the machine (prior to you finding it had blue screened)?

You have BitDefender Total Security version
23.0.8.20 installed. However, the latest version is  23.0.19.85. Whilst we review the data further, can you please update to version 23.0.19.85 and verify if the blue screens persist or not.

Yes, it was idle. And it's on 23.0.19.85 currently. It auto-updated on 3/1/2019.

Thanks for confirming. We're still reviewing the dump file.

Please let me know if additional blue screens are encountered.

In addition, please do the following:

• Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
  • Type msinfo32 and click OK.
  • A new window will open. Click File followed by Save.
  • Give the file a name, select your Desktop as the location and click Save.
  • Right-click the image.png.1a6ac3572b0304f6862e8f61357f649e.png&key=5a5b67fce8e5cb446fea12089e6488e7e76cf91e3d7868804bbfaaf0c55d3f0f .nfo file on your Desktop and click Send to followed by Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Attach the newly created Zip file in your next reply.
Edited by LiquidTension

4 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Would you willing to temporarily uninstall BitDefender and check if the blue screens persist or not (with Malwarebytes fully enabled)?

This time unlike before doesn't happen as often.. To be honest, I don't feel too comfortable uninstalling bitdefender as I have a lot of exceptions and rules set up on it. Please just analyze the dump file and let me know what you find. If it BSODs again, I will submit another dump.

I'd suggest using Win + R and typing services.msc, then setting the startup type for all Bitdefender-related services to "Disabled". After rebooting your computer, this should have roughly the same result as uninstalling it, at least in theory, but it won't be at the cost of your Exclusion settings.

You could also try running in Safe Mode to see if Bit Defender is still causing conflicts there, or if there's something else causing the issue.

When do you think you'll know whether a more permanent solution will be available? Because on top of being an anti-virus, Bitdefender offers decent enough malware/web protection now, and to be frank, if I had to choose one to keep it'll likely be Bitdefender. I just don't see a reason to pay for both software when there is a conflict between each other. 

I remember long ago, I had a similar issue (BSOD/crashing) with Malwarebytes and Bitdefender conflicting. Though it went away for a long time, I don't really feel like I need to constantly worry about it happening again after every update. I'm not blaming Malwarebytes, as it can be Bitdefender's fault. But either way, it's something I shouldn't have to worry about. 

This has been going on since November. I've complied to the best of my ability pulling logs, uploading dumps, and etc. It's getting a bit frustrating now. 

A system I recently configured for somebody else is also experiencing BSODs, and my partner is suspecting that maybe MalwareBytes is the issue there as well, based on the results of the memory dumps. However, the system does not currently have other protection software installed beyond the default Windows Defender, and right now it's failing to boot entirely due to NTOSKRNL.EXE and the BCD both being corrupted.

It has to be an issue with Windows, because this system was also running Windows 10 x64 (1803 build). Currently waiting on the diagnostic results, because the installation media isn't able to repair the operating system at this time.

I am with you in regards to this being super frustrating... I hope that our issues aren't related.