Malwarebytes not opening in Windows 7

I'm having the same problem too. Malwarebytes and my webcam software won't start, but they start in safe mode. I ran MB in safe mode and it removed a few infected files, but when i went back into normal mode, it didn't start. I even uninstalled my Avast software to see if that was the culprit but it still won't start.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I didn't get a notification that you had replied already. Here are the files you requested. 

1. The program will not open. I can see the tray icon and when i try to open it from there it doesn't start. It starts in safe mode and I ran it and it didn't come up with anything. I should also note that the webcam software from Logitech is also not working. I'm not sure if they are related, but they are doing the exact same thing.

2. I was able to aquire an error message by accident. Usually, there isn't an error message poping up. When I created a test user account and tried to run the program under there, the error message came up.

3. The system doesn't crash. It still operates.

4. I noticed the problem when I went to try to adjust my webcam settings for a chairty event I was participating in. I downloaded and installed MB and it never opened. I uninstalled my Avast software thinking that was the problem but it wasn't. This was at the beginning of this month.

5. It's the same result every time. I've uninstalled software I don't use anymore to see if anything is hanging up or causing a problem, but nothing has worked yet.

6., 7., 8. are attached.

Addition_30-11-2018 14.30.50.txt

FRST_30-11-2018 14.30.50.txt

CheckResults.txt

Malwarebytes.rar

It looks like you followed the instructions Malwarebytes 2.x, but you have Malwarebytes 3.x. You want the instructions in the spoiler in the first post:

1. Download and launch the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Do not click Start Repair
  3. Click Advanced
  4. Click Gather Logs
  5. Once the process finishes, it should put a zip file on your desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip. Please upload that zip file in your reply

On 11/30/2018 at 4:14 PM, dcollins said:

It looks like you followed the instructions Malwarebytes 2.x, but you have Malwarebytes 3.x. You want the instructions in the spoiler in the first post:

1. Download and launch the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Do not click Start Repair
  3. Click Advanced
  4. Click Gather Logs
  5. Once the process finishes, it should put a zip file on your desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip. Please upload that zip file in your reply

were you able to download the files?

Hi @adam9989

From your logs it seems like you are running Malwarebytes in compatibility mode for XP SP3 . 

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe          [WINXPSP3 RUNASADMIN]

Can you please try the following:

1. Right click on the Malwarebytes shortcut and click on the Compatibility tab.

2. Uncheck the following checkboxes and reboot machine

image.png.2a2c93b2684deba11bf90a69f751c1aa.png

3. Reboot machine. 

Can you let us know if that helps.

Greetings,

Until a member of Malwarebytes Support returns, I have a couple of other things for you to try if you don't mind, just to help ensure this isn't an issue with an infection and also because it may help diagnose the cause of the issue if these tools are able to run since they use some of the same components as Malwarebytes:

First, please try running the special build of Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit found in this topic and use it to perform a scan if it is able to run and have it remove any threats it detects (if any), then reboot if prompted to do so to complete the removal process.  Once that completes, if Malwarebytes still won't launch or if Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit wouldn't launch either, then please run ADWCleaner and likewise scan with it and have it remove anything it detects and reboot if prompted to do so to complete the removal process.

Once that is done, if either tools found any threats then please try running Malwarebytes again to see if it now functions normally.

Please let us know how it went, if either tool had any trouble running and post the logs from the tools if any threats were found by them.

Thanks

OK, good, that gives us another clue then.  If you would, please try booting into Safe Mode with Networking to see if you can run them there and likewise scan with them and have them remove any threats they find, then boot into Windows normally to see if Malwarebytes runs after that if anything was removed by the other two tools.

1 hour ago, adam9989 said:

I tried to reboot in safe mode with networking via Teamviewer since i'm at work and Teamviewer never started back up.

Yes TeamViewer does that and since its in safe mode the TeamViewer services don't start up.  If you have someone at home that can open TeamViewer for you, then you could connect. Otherwise as you stated, you will have to wait till you get home.

EDIT: UPDATE.... I tried a test with TeamViewer, and the TeamViewer service actually does start, its that it is in safe mode, but not safe mode with networking.

Edited by Firefox

I ran all 3 programs (MB, MB Anti Root, and ADWcleaner while in safe mode. The only one that picked anything up was the ADWcleaner and even then the programs will not start. I made a test account to see if the programs would start under that and it would not start there either, however, it did give an error message. The message is as follows.

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Users\Test\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE771.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
  C:\Users\Test\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE965.tmp.appcompat.txt
  C:\Users\Test\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREA60.tmp.mdmp

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I am providing the files stated in the error message. The XML and the MDMP file is in the .rar file.

WERE965.tmp.appcompat.txt

Temp.rar