Help running over-install test with new installer?

Hello all!

We have just released a new Component Package Update that will begin going out to Malwarebytes 3.1 users over the next several days:

We have created an updated installer and I was hoping to enlist some of your help.

Can you please install the latest installer over your current Malwarebytes 3 (or MBAM 2.x) installation?  We are investigating an intermittent issue where some users will see a "cannot connect to service" message after upgrading from an earlier version via in-product prompts or manually over-installing with an updated installer.

I would expect the over-install to proceed just fine, and when it does, I'd love confirmation of that!  :)

But if you run into this particular error it would be a huge help if you could provide the following logs for us to review:

1. Collect the Setup installation logs
    1. Press Windows Key + R to bring up your run dialog
    2. In the window, type %TEMP% and click Ok
    3. In this new window, you should see some files that start with Setup Log and have numbers and times after them
    4. Please zip up those files and attach them to your reply
  2. Create and obtain an mb-check log
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area
  3. Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will product two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Attach both of these logs to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the files to the attachment area

Thanks in advance!

Well, just did an over-the-top installation on a Windows 10 CU (15063.413) and it worked just fine here.

Also, visual example of the Setup log for those wondering:

lmLnFpO.png

When you go in the %temp% folder, just order the files by "Date modified" column (latest modified file at the top) and you'll find it easily.

Edited by Aura

Hi Becky,

Installed over the previous version of MB 3 with no discernible problems other than, as ever, the language reverts to English (US) from the English (UK) settings I had set. 

Iain

Edited by TempLost
Grammar !

1 minute ago, bdubrow said:

Thanks, Iain!  

And we have noted that language issue, so we'll get it addressed in another upgrade.  (Can't do any user-interface changes currently in the component updates, so have to wait for full new version upgrades. :( )

No big deal, just a bit aggravating!

@bdubrow So far I have upgraded on manually over the top... no issues aside with a message that my updates were out of date, and when checked they say current... popup only came up once.  This system has SEP... do you want me to remove the exceptions for MB3 in SEP and test that?  Or do the exceptions have to stay in place?

OK I have removed the exceptions on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, running Window 10 1703 with SEP 14.

Downloaded from main site the latest version of MB3 with CU160 and installed over the top.  Rebooted and so far all seems well... will post if it starts to experience any issues.