Has this been talked about?

Scanning speeds? So you can put a slow scan and easily have it run in the background... I realize you guys usually just recommend quick scan with only take about 10 minutes at the most... but if you do run a full scan that can be hours and a slow scan speed would be nice so I can run it in the background...

• Staff

I just don't see any advantage to this what so ever. Set a scan, be it quick or full and go find something else to do for the duration. Scan times will still vary regardless due to file content, size and other parmeters.

• Staff

I see what you are saying but surely this could cause extra problems having the scan run faster where files could be missed as they were not scanned fully! Wouldn't a pause button help in the situation when you are busy and need the resources at hand?

Well, sure you could find something else to do... but say for example you are like me and are stuck at a condo for a weekend and there is absolutely nothing to do so you have a laptop and you are planning on maybe playing a game or something on it but at the same time you want to run a slow full scan... its plenty useful and lots of programs have this function... I wouldn't say make it any faster but just to be able to select scan speed...

And I read on here from all the tech helpers that full scans aren't necessary as the quick scan scans all the important and known infected folders... if this is the case why bother with the full scan?

• Staff

yeah, I see where you are going on this but I have played World of Warcraft online while running a full system scan and I suffered very little interruption. In fact most of the time I had to check the scan was finished even though it hadn't. I suppose this comes down to what vendor software is scanning but even with MBAM, I can do pretty much anything while it's on using my old P4 3.06 XP pc and the newer Vista quad core.

I somehow can't believe that a quick scan is all that is needed as often a full scan finds spyware that was not picked up on a quick scan. Not doubting this is not the case for others, but not in my experiance. Im not implying that I know better but it doesn't make sense to me.

That may be true with some pc's it doesn't bother anything.. but then you are running WoW and as I understand it isn't a intensive game on your pc... however the latest games can be and will only get more intensive... so it seems like it should be looked into in the future...

Lol Telmerc, do i detect some jealousy there :D

Yes Supernovasky, I agree that future games will be more intensive but then future Pc's will be better spec'd to handle them.

Thats true I still think its a good idea, but since its not a big deal I won't make it one hah! And I can't wait till I get a computer that can take down any game with ease hah!

• 5 months later...
Can't you just set the priority of the process to Below Normal?

I vote for the addition of a "Priority setting" control.

For the nightly daily quick scan, I'd set it at HIGH, but if I run a complete scan during the day, I'd like to set it at the LOWEST possible level.

Thanks.

Hi -

I always do a manual (quick) scan in the evenings when we sit down to eat - (Some families still do that) - It is usually a MBAM scan (update first) , but for variety I may do a SAS (quick) scan once a week - This solves any problem of missing a scan -

I also do a manual update first thing every morning just to make sure it is up to date every day -

Just FYI - Thank You - :)

EDIT -

Pc's will be better spec'd to handle them.
Do not complain if MBAM needs to cover more info and get larger for this very reason - ;)