Afraid to update to 306!

@Brattinella

Note:
Anti-Malware v.2.2.1 - End of Life: June 8, 2017†
"You may continue to use the older product version at your own risk, but ongoing protection updates are not guaranteed."

Please try this:
Firefox, Portable Edition

(It is very easy to test and use this modern and security non-install browser and add your bookmarks and the other things like desired extensions bit by bit...)

Edited by Maurice Naggar
June 8 is end of life date for 2.2.1

6 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Brattinella.  I would like to be sure you are aware, version 2.2.1 is not the ultimate complete way to go for the future.  Version 2.2.1 will eventually fall out of support.

I also have a concern about the possible mis-impression ( whether said or unsaid, implied or not) or "linkage" to any version of Firefox.  The current Firefox browser release is 51.0.1

I would ask, why stick to a much older Firefox  version ?   There is no reason to link whether one gets Malwarebytes 3.0.6  based on  a Mozilla Firefox.

I want to keep my version of Firefox because I don't want to spend an entire day repairing my computer afterward.  All of my add-ons and security programs would  have to be fixed.  I run NoScript and it works very well, in conjunction with MBAM.  All I did was try to do the right thing by purchasing two years worth of your program.  I am old and tired, but I used to build/repair computers for a living.  I know how programs can interact with each other.  I'm not sure how I will get past this problem, but I won't do it quickly, that's for sure.

I want to keep my version of Firefox because I don't want to spend an entire day repairing my computer afterward.  All of my add-ons and security programs would  have to be fixed.

No matter what kind of add-ons and security programs you're running, they are totally useless if you're running a such outdated version of Firefox. Your web browser is basically the first door for malware to get in your system. If you don't run an updated and secure web browser, you're making it way too easy for malware, exploits, etc. to go through.

Q: how to halt Malwarebytes for requesting to upgrade? I'm skipping a couple of versions until I upgrade to 3.

Tip: Also, I want to suggest to convert Malwarebytes to a Windows Store app, so that version updates can be distributed through the Windows Store. Helps against future possible MitM, and more importantly: making the update experience less of a nuisance. It's really annoying to have to go through the language settings and what not after each major revision, because with the current update method there's no system in place that remembers the settings.

My strong suggestion is do not update because it is simply abysmal.

So far:-

In the middle of a database process Version 3 decided that Paradox, part of the Word Perfect Office Suite and has been around for decades was ransomware so quarantined it and corrupted the databases in use at the time. 

Speed checking even with all the required Folders excluded from scanning including excluded for Ransomware a direct comparison for some operations without MalwareBytes and with MalwareBytes are:=

6.96 seconds slows to 7.53 seconds

6.96 seconds slows to 7.53 seconds

6.71 seconds slows to 7.33 seconds

etc etc.

So it is a piece of crap and I wish I had never allowed it to be installed.

On 1/28/2017 at 4:08 AM, Brattinella said:

I have been using your wonderful free version for a long time.  When I was notified a new version was available, I updated from 221 to 305, and paid for two years.  Now, I keep getting these popups!  So, I've been reading this forum for three days now, and it is confusing. 

Is this new version working right?  Should I uninstall back to version 221?  If I deactivate my key, and uninstall it, the icon will be gone from the taskbar to update it!

I'm old and cranky, and need help!  Thanks!

Well, I would say there is cause for some concern in upgrading. When I chose yes to upgrade the installer tried first to install the new version in another folder than the current MB install folder. I then change that path to that folder. The install seemed to go well, but I had a number of problems after the upgrade (real-time protection layers was always turned off at windows boot, help icons in the UI did not work). A full uninstall using an MB removal tool was necessary, before I could finally install MB again. After that it seems it works ok again, none of the previous errors after the upgrade is present.

13 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Keep in mind that by design, Version 3 is set to go to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes

That is not a very good design then, when upgrading a current installation that is not installed in C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes. The installer should check which path the current installation is located in and default the install location to that.

Edited by jayman1000

14 minutes ago, Ageless1946 said:

Aura,

When the auto update to 3.0.5 occurred many users, including myself had a problem with the web protection not starting. I saw that 3.0.6 fixed this and it worked perfectly. You might want to share this with others that had the web protection problem.

The new ( & now current)  Malwarebytes release is version 3.0.6.1469.   Our dev teams have been working very hard. This version has a number of fixes.
You can view the release announcement at this link