Profile corruption

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this your Windows user profile - it fails to load and sets up a temporary profile?

I have the same issue.  Until it is fixed, a workaround is as follows:

In Malwarebytes Settings > Protection, uncheck Start Malwarebytes at Windows startup

Copy the Malwarebytes shortcut icon on the desktop to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Then Malwarebytes 3 will start when you log in and you won't get that error

Same for me, upon restart after Windows update I had problem logging in, when it did log in it was a temporary profile, error said that trying to log in again may fix the problem, I did & was logged in as normal.

Users on the MS forum have mentioned the same problem when running MBAM 3.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-cannot-upload-your-profile/39ed5958-e4cc-457d-8112-5855c2e9d7cb

On 12/15/2016 at 6:59 PM, Aura said:

Hi VBFirefoxUser :)

How was your profile corrupted exactly? What issue were you encountering in it, and were there any error messages? If so, what were they?

I did not get any error messages.  I got a temporary profile twice while Malwarebytes 3.0 was installed. All my preferences in Windows 7 SP1, all my emails in thunderbird and all my favorites in Firefox were lost until I created a new username and grabbed all those files. I lost the user profiles and had to create a new username each time. I have not had any issues since switching back to Malwarebytes 2.0. I apologize for how long it has taken me to respond to this thread. :)

Edited by VBFirefoxUser

The best way to recover from this nasty issue is - in the temporary profile do the following:
In Malwarebytes Settings > Protection, uncheck Start Malwarebytes at Windows startup
Then restart the computer and your normal profile should open.
Malwarebytes 3 will start when you log in and you won't get that error

You will have to start Malwarebytes manually, unless you do the following workaround which will start Malwarebytes when you log in, not at Windows Startup:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Alternatively, while in the temporary profile, uninstall Malwarebytes and restart the computer, your normal profile should load.

• 1 month later...

John A, Thanks for this info, it does correct the matter however it leaves the computer vulnerable.

I recently purchased 20 licenses and deployed them on client machines. I have two machines showing this behavior. One is a windows 7 pro machine and the other is a windows 10 home version. I found a similar thread in the beta forums. I can confirm that this problem is in the final releases and current version and while it so far has not happened on all of the computers, it is just 2 at the moment.

I updated from 3.0.5 release version to 3.0.6.1469 release version yesterday and on a restart got the Notice that Protection was OFF but icon was green. (I thought this was fixed)

When I booted my system this morning I got the Profile error which I have never had before.

I took the choice to Log Out and the next Login worked fine.

Going back to MBAM 2.

Too many bugs.

Jim :ph34r:

Edited by Phone Man

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2016 at 0:12 AM, John A said:

The best way to recover from this nasty issue is - in the temporary profile do the following:
Then restart the computer and your normal profile should open.
Malwarebytes 3 will start when you log in and you won't get that error

You will have to start Malwarebytes manually, unless you do the following workaround which will start Malwarebytes when you log in, not at Windows Startup:

Alternatively, while in the temporary profile, uninstall Malwarebytes and restart the computer, your normal profile should load.

I'm sorry for being inexperienced here, but what if you deleted the shortcut? How do you create another one.

Either reinstall Malwarebytes, or:

Open File Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
Right click on mbam.exe and choose "create shortcut"
Assuming that you haven't turned off Malwarebytes self protection, you should see a message "Windows can't create a shortcut here, do you want the shortcut placed on the Desktop instead". Click Yes

The shortcut called "mbam.exe - Shortcut" should then be on your Desktop.  You can rename the shortcut to "Malwarebytes"

10 minutes ago, John A said:

Either reinstall Malwarebytes, or:

Open File Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
Right click on mbam.exe and choose "create shortcut"
Assuming that you haven't turned off Malwarebytes self protection, you should see a message "Windows can't create a shortcut here, do you want the shortcut placed on the Desktop instead". Click Yes

The shortcut called "mbam.exe - Shortcut" should then be on your Desktop.  You can rename the shortcut to "Malwarebytes"

Thanks a lot, it worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG I just found this thread. I have been having this problem and did not connect it to MBAM till today. This is on a windows 10 machine. I have had this happen on a restarts. The first few times just clicking on log out and log back in worked. Yesterday it required a 2nd restart I thought I was screwed big time but finally got back to my desktop. I've had this win 10 machine for over a year with no problems like this until MBAM version 3

Now with the new beta installed self protection cannot be turned off. I have unchecked start at windows startup. I hope this corrects any future windows logon problems.

When I thought the only problems included MBAM not working correctly it was not a big deal but now finding its screwing up my OS is pretty disturbing.

It not being able to turn off self protection going to be a problem if I decide to uninstall? Or just quit MBAM and uninstall?

1 hour ago, Super Dave said:

It not being able to turn off self protection going to be a problem if I decide to uninstall? Or just quit MBAM and uninstall?

I had this on one machine. Couldn't turn off self-protection, so I uninstalled. Unfortunately MBAM was still in the mix and messing with my system (VSS issues continued). So I reinstalled v3, and as soon as the installation completed, I went into settings and found that I could then turn off self-protection. I then closed MBAM and uninstalled. Rebooted and ran the v2 clean uninstall tool 2x for good measure. My PC returned to a happy state, I'll wait for v3.1 on that machine.