sneaky MS add-on to Firefox?

Just found out about that here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/01/ms..._extension_row/

This add on doesn't sound very safe... ""ability for Web sites to easily and quietly install software on your PC" or ethical for that matter...

I wonder if I have this? Would anyone been able to tell me by the attached screen shot of my plugins?

Edit: Let me know if you'd like to see the screen shot, and I'll add it back on :D

• Root Admin

Almost certainly you have it. Microsoft included it as part of an update that most users installed.

A bit odd for Microsoft to go that route but I suppose they felt it was the easiest, best method to update.

There are methods, tools to remove it if you don't want it, but according to Microsoft many users DO want it.

@ AdvancedSetup:

Thanks for responding :D

Ugh, that's peachy :/

""ability for Web sites to easily and quietly install software on your PC" Would this make a persons computer more vulnerable then?

What is the ".NET Framework (NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1) " anyway, do you know? I don't even know if I use it?

• Root Admin

It is located under the EXTENSIONS not the Plugins.

.NET Framework From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Microsoft .NET Framework is a software framework that can be installed on computers running Microsoft Windows operating systems. It includes a large library of coded solutions to common programming problems and a virtual machine that manages the execution of programs written specifically for the framework. The .NET Framework is a key Microsoft offering and is intended to be used by most new applications created for the Windows platform.

.NET Framework Developer Center @ Microsoft

Cheers

@ AdvancedSetup

Thanks for the links :), I'll read on them tomorrow, as I need to get to sleep soon.

Oh, silly me :D I just checked my extensions, and I have Java Quick Starter 1.0, AVG Safe Search and AVG Security Toolbar, so perhaps I am in the clear then? :)

@ prairie dog

I really don't think its necessary, but, then again, I am no expert. I am mostly clueless when it comes to these things :P (at least right now I am, hopefully that will change as time goes on :lol:)

I don't seem to have it in my Firefox, but I'm not sure.

Hopefully someone who knows more than us will be able to answer :D

about removing the click once .net framework.

i hesitate becuse knowing ms removing it will cause probs in the future or am i just worring because off the past issiues i had with the .net framework.

is it really that doggie as i read it is.

what about disabling it,as good as removing it or as near as,without actally removing the darn thing?

I noticed I had it months ago and I just disabled it in the FF add-ons in tools, I notice that when ever I update FF the extension is mentioned so with some googling I have come to the conclusion that I think it just is MS's way of checking what browser you use, Or something like that.

I remember when I got it there was ALOT of people annoyed by it and people posting about how to remove it.

I believe it's either for .NET developers or for compatibility with some type of .NET browser functionality (although I believe the former is more likely). If MS wanted to detect what browser you're using there are other ways that have nothing to do with .NET :P .

I believe I read thats what its for ( the former). MS had to have known that they would catch heat for that little update though :lol:

I doubt it, they do stuff like this all the time, they're simply including basic functionality for developers who might be using FireFox as their browser instead of IE. If they'd included it for IE only I'm sure they'd have caught just as much heat, if not more, saying it was anti-competitive and unfair to users of FireFox :lol: .

Just got some new updates through for the Auto update for XP and this was in it:

Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 (KB963707)

Download size: 741 KB , less than 1 minute

The update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 for Firefox addresses several compatibility issues with version 1.0 of the extension. Details...

I wonder if that has anything to do with the sneaky MS add-on to Firefox? Does anyone know?

Exile, see my update post under this post of yours :(

Hmm wonder if this has anything to do with it?

I doubt it, they do stuff like this all the time, they're simply including basic functionality for developers who might be using FireFox as their browser instead of IE. If they'd included it for IE only I'm sure they'd have caught just as much heat, if not more, saying it was anti-competitive and unfair to users of FireFox :) .

@ Exile

Ah, probably.

I just hope there's no harm or danger in installing on it; I'd hate for them to be spying on people and/or collecting personal information from the update.

:/

I'm sure the .NET addon is either for the compatibility of .NET based apps that use functions in the browser or (more likely, and what I mentioned earier) .NET developers that use a browser for programming purposes.

@ Exile

Could you clarify on what you said a little bit? I don't quite understand what you mean here.

"You'd be surprised how powerful the tools that people have to figure out what various files and programs do when they're installed are, and most of them are free."