Not updating definitions before scanning

Hi,

When scanning an individual file with MBAM (free version), it doesn't update the definitions before scanning.

Isn't this a bug? Because when you do the scan, a tick appears on the 'Check for Updates' part, before it continues with the 'Pre-Scan Operations'?

Thanks very much,

Transformers

Hi Transformers--

So sorry for the delay responding.  I had seen your question the other day, but needed to dig into exactly what was happening.  Unfortunately I never circled back.  So thanks for the reminder!

The current behavior for a context menu scan does not check for updates, so you are correct that it is a bug.  But because folks typically want a very quick scan in these cases, there's been debate as to whether this is a bug in the scan flow or the interface that we're showing.  In other words, should context menu scans always just use whatever databases are available on disk or should we always check for newer versions, just like we do for other scans?  The issue is that an update check and install could add quite a bit more time to these scans.

That being said, I personally think that we should always check for newer databases, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Hi, @bdubrow:

That being said, I personally think that we should always check for newer databases, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

I agree.

Context menu scanning isn't used much by "basic" users (IIRC that is one reason it is disabled by default).

Advanced users who need/use the feature likely would understand and be willing to tolerate the few seconds of delay necessary to update the db prior to the scan.

Cheers,

bdubrow, on 11 Apr 2015 - 3:20 PM, said:snapback.png

That would be great and therefore agree.  Prior to installing a file or software I always use the context menu to do a right click scan with MBAM and always thought that it was up to date.

Having the most up to date DB for these type of scans would be good I suppose.

That being said, when we download a file it should first be checked by our antivirus software since that is our first layer of defense. If the AV detects it as malware then it will not allow the download or it will quarantine the file.

If the file is not tagged by our AV, and the file/malware is already known by Malwarebytes, when we try to execute the file, Malwarebytes is going to detect it anyway, as Malwarebytes detects on execution of the file.

Hi Transformers--

So sorry for the delay responding.  I had seen your question the other day, but needed to dig into exactly what was happening.  Unfortunately I never circled back.  So thanks for the reminder!

The current behavior for a context menu scan does not check for updates, so you are correct that it is a bug.  But because folks typically want a very quick scan in these cases, there's been debate as to whether this is a bug in the scan flow or the interface that we're showing.  In other words, should context menu scans always just use whatever databases are available on disk or should we always check for newer versions, just like we do for other scans?  The issue is that an update check and install could add quite a bit more time to these scans.

Hi bdubrow, thanks for the reply.

We definitely should always use the latest definitions, it could be the difference between finding malware and not.

Also, the update only adds like 4 seconds to the scanning time, so it's worth it.

Having the most up to date DB for these type of scans would be good I suppose.

That being said, when we download a file it should first be checked by our antivirus software since that is our first layer of defense. If the AV detects it as malware then it will not allow the download or it will quarantine the file.

If the file is not tagged by our AV, and the file/malware is already known by Malwarebytes, when we try to execute the file, Malwarebytes is going to detect it anyway, as Malwarebytes detects on execution of the file.

Not for the free version of MBAM.  :(

Not for the free version of MBAM.  :(

Yes, the Free version is only a manual, on-demand scanner. It can only REMOVE infections that are already on the system and that have made it past your anti-virus.

If you would like real-time protection alongside your anti-virus to help to PREVENT infections from making onto the system, then you would need to purchase a license for MBAM Premium.

Thank you again,