Reset Button PC : dangerous?

BibboBabbo

Here is the situation :

I was playing an online videogame called 'League of legends' with my computer (it's a bit old computer but the game runs well)

Sometimes this videogame has bugs or crash and today, suddenly the game stucked, frozen, and i couldn't do anything.

I had to press the 'Reset' button on the hardware case because nothing responded.

the system restarted and, for now, luckly without any problem or error.

My question is because of my curiosity:

Did the reset button damage anything?

Were malwarebytes and norton software safe or could the reset have damaged them or their functionality? (as i see, nothing changed after the restart)

thank you :)

Hi:

The hard reset could possibly "corrupt" or "break" any program, or the OS itself (as the others explained).

If MBAM is not working correctly now, I would suggest that you please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Cheers!

An addition to what others have said...I learned the hard way that Windows uses write caching on drives by default to improve performance.  That means that control is returned to you and the disk activity which you requested may or may not be complete when control is returned.  If it is not complete, it is possible to lose a file, a directory, or even a hard drive because the computer seems unusually non-responsive to all that you ask it to do.  I held down the reset button and lost my hard drive.  Better to know what the possibilities are than to blindly screw yourself.

ok, thank you all! :)

I've checked the disk with windows check for errors and there were no errors found.

As i can see, since the hard reset nothing changed and nothing works wrong, i was not writing any data, just playing a videogame (and that crashed)

i'm just afraid if the hard reset could have damaged norton or malwarebytes premium, and how can i be sure that i'm safe and nothing gone wrong after the hard reset?

thank you again! <3

i'm just afraid if the hard reset could have damaged norton or malwarebytes premium, and how can i be sure that i'm safe and nothing gone wrong after the hard reset?

Are you getting any error messages? Is the program crashing?  Are your scheduled tasks running properly?

If you're not sure, then we would suggest the following:

If MBAM is not working correctly now, I would suggest that you please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thanks, :)

"i was not writing any data, just playing a videogame (and that crashed)"

not necessarily so ...

windows (et al) is a *busy* OS , it is constantly "doing stuff" in the background ; playing a video game does not obviate or minimize many of these tasks .

just about all programs use data writing/shuffling to and from the hard drive .

one can look at the hdd "activity indicator" and not see an indication that the hd is being written to/from ... there is a certain amount of activity that has to happen before the indicator is triggered , unless that threshold is met there will be no "blinking" .

in some cases , the flash that one can actually see is a series of short close spaced pulses ... a single pulse will not be detected by human vision .

''Are you getting any error messages? Is the program crashing?  Are your scheduled tasks running properly?''

actually i'm not getting anything, everything seems to be as before the 'reset button'. i've just few programs on my system, it's pretty clear (2 videogames, ccleaner, norton, malwarebytes, photoshop, the fax scanner utility driver, some adobe programs: air, reader IX, plugin...) 

My worry was about that norton and malwarebytes, as i said before, are still ok and no file lost/no function corrupted in order to keep me safe, after i pressed the reset button.  but, how can i be sure?

maybe i'll try to install again them both (norton and malwarebytes) so i'll be sure, no?

II can recall my XP SP3 often needing a "Reset Shutdown" and no problems ever came from that.

I never called it a "Hard Shutdown" since there was a button provided for this specific purpose.

Since I ran a disk check every few months (and it showed no problems), I considered the "Provided Button" to be nothing more than a normal feature.

My later models seem to remove this "External" option, so I just used CTRL + ALT + Delete, and end the running programs in Windows 7.

Waiting for a need to do this in Windows 8 still, but no severe problems yet ..........