Freezing Issues Redux

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend has a problem with MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware. MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware freezes when it starts scanning: c:\windows\installer\$patchcache$\managed\......letters.......\......dll

Here's log from MBAM:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.37

Версия на базата от данни: 2192

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

5/29/2009 15:57:14

mbam-log-2009-05-29 (15-57-14).txt

Тип сканиране: Бързо сканиране

Сканирани обекти: 103137

Изминало време: 4 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Заразени процеси в паметта: 0

Заразени модули в паметта: 0

Заразени ключове в регистратурата: 0

Заразени стойности в регистратурата: 0

Заразени информационни обекти в регистратурата: 0

Заразени папки: 0

Заразени файлове: 0

Заразени процеси в паметта:

(Не бяха открити заплахи)

Заразени модули в паметта:

Заразени ключове в регистратурата:

Заразени стойности в регистратурата:

Заразени информационни обекти в регистратурата:

Заразени папки:

Заразени файлове:

• Root Admin

Basic procedures to correct freezing issues often due to other Security Software

If these procedures do not correct the problem please create a new post seeking further assistance

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
  2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run
    this utility

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from
    here

Note:
    If you're using a PAID version of Malwareybtes, you will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via e-mail.

BEFORE

registering and starting the Protection Module, locate the Exclusion List for your Anti-Virus. Probably under an advanced menu in the program.

Add the following folders, sub-folders if you can, at a minimum add the files to the exclusion to be safe.
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

• C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

• C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

I have not been able to run MBAM without freezing only a few seconds into the scan. The only was I can seem to run it is in safe mode. Once it freezes I have to reboot - the entire PC freezes. I have been attempting to resolve this for quite some time and have had no success. Am using MBAM 1.37, SpyBot, NAV 2009, Windows XP SP2.

My program worked perfect until the recent updates to the software. I finally had to just remove the program all together. Very disappointing to have wasted my money. :huh:

I hope a fix will be released soon because up until now, I have recommended Malwarebytes to many people.

We are having computer freeze problem with Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 (program version 16.10.2012) and MalwareBytes 1.37 database 2182. If the computers are connected to the internet it will free up within one minute as Trend starts up. Without an internet connection, the computer will start up fine and continue to run. Trend sometimes comes up and says it is blocking MalwareBytes. It seems as if they both are blocking some part of each other. With MalwareBytes uninstalled the PCs work just fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Basic procedures to correct freezing issues often due to other Security Software

If these procedures do not correct the problem please create a new post seeking further assistance

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from

Note:
    If you're using a PAID version of Malwareybtes, you will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via e-mail.

BEFORE
registering and starting the Protection Module, locate the Exclusion List for your Anti-Virus. Probably under an advanced menu in the program.

Add the following folders, sub-folders if you can, at a minimum add the files to the exclusion to be safe.

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

• C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

• C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

I followed these directions to the letter and I am still freezing 11 seconds into the scan. It is a total system lockup which requires a hard re-boot. I had a malware infection several months ago and the folks at Bleeping Computer helped me to get rid of it. At that time, MB was installed and worked well. However, MB later starting freezing every time a scan was run for some unkown reason.

Any suggestions?

I followed these directions to the letter and I am still freezing 11 seconds into the scan. It is a total system lockup which requires a hard re-boot. I had a malware infection several months ago and the folks at Bleeping Computer helped me to get rid of it. At that time, MB was installed and worked well. However, MB later starting freezing every time a scan was run for some unkown reason.

Any suggestions?

I have no suggestions as I have been experiencing this same problem for many versions of MBAM. It always freezes several seconds into the scan. Other than the very first time I ran the program, many many months ago, I have never been able to get past a few seconds successfully without a system freeze and the necessary complete system reboot. Like you, I would really like to solve this!

Hello...

I froze on a FULL scan on this file:

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\mouse_c.htm

I *believe* it happened on two different computers.

After reading some posts here, it appears that I am perhaps overladen with anti-spyware...

*Symantec Client Security AntiVirus (provided by my employer; I can't remove it)

*PCTOOLS Spyware Doctor (with all the "Intelliguards" active but NOT the Anti-Virus)

*SPYBOT S&D (with the resident active, as well as the thing that asks me about writing to the registry and the part that "immunizes")

*MBAM free version.

Am I causing myself unnecessary grief here? :)

Thanks...

Jim W.

@ snorlax From the info I can find you should move/copy this post to a New Topic in the HiJackLog Forum. I'll print out the instructions below: Please follow them to get fixed up!

follow these instructions & post it in the HiJackLog Forum please

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.

• Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review

NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

@ snorlax The HJK Forum will get you fixed up, Please note: there busy in there and it might be 1-2 days before they get to your issue. They will need you to download tools and work with them. So keep an eye (bookmark your post there)

Bird-I still play that horn on 52nd street :)

Thank you for your patience, Bird...I'm just apprehensive (paranoid) that they are going to find something really bad, even though every scan I do with Spybot, PCTOOLS, or MBAM turns up clean.

Lots of my charts, transcriptions, performances, etc. on these computers.

Sincerely,

J.B. Gillespie

Your Welcome! But reading Logs is not my dept. Should you pc infected, post in the General Forum. Or else a few people didn't see this post. The tools they have in the HiJack Forum -- Spybot, PCTOOLS, ect. are nothing as to what they can do in that forum! Its like putting your pc under a microscope. They will tell you what to download & where it is, but you have to post the logs, so they can look them over! It takes years of training! just follow there instructions.... good luck, don't worry..regards..

Hello...

After reading some posts here, it appears that I am perhaps overladen with anti-spyware...

*Symantec Client Security AntiVirus (provided by my employer; I can't remove it)

*PCTOOLS Spyware Doctor (with all the "Intelliguards" active but NOT the Anti-Virus)

*SPYBOT S&D (with the resident active, as well as the thing that asks me about writing to the registry and the part that "immunizes")

*MBAM free version.

Am I causing myself unnecessary grief here? :lol:

Thanks...

Jim W.

@snorlax / Jim

Antivirus, yes, you must have one.

I highly suggest you disable Spybot's Tea Timer whilst your case is being worked in Malware removal. Tea Timer can cause un-intended conflicts when fixes are being applied to the registry. It is best not to even use it if you are not fully familiar with it.

I would also suggest you turn off amy active monitor of Spyware Doctor.

Yardbird & Ron gave you good advice, needless to say.

Good luck, and have patience.