Bought MWB "PRO"- -still get PUP.Optional.Conduit.A...

not4hire

Thanks in advance for any help!

I just purchased the "PRO" version, thinking that I would be safe from the 

PUP.Optional.Conduit.A 

infection. I got tired of removing it with the free version, but every scan reveals it still to be on my computer. I am absolutely willing to follow the instructions given by MrCharlie to user "Stephaniek1" if this series of steps will clean out this ....thing-  -permanently.

I would think that once it is removed, the paid-for PRO would protect me from RE-infection. But it apparently doesn't. I don't want a refund or anything, as I believe it to be a good product, but I also expect to be protected from getting the malware/trojan/virus in the future.

Please comment....Thanks again....Steve

Hello and welcome, not4hire:

PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program
This KB topic explains what they are AND how to decide whether to delete them or keep/ignore them: What are the 'PUP' detections, are they threats and should they be deleted?

>>>>The default action for PUP detections is 'Show in results list and do not check for removal."<<<<

If you want Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove these PUP detections reported after a scan, each item must be checked.

• To do so quickly, you can highlight one of the detections by left clicking on it.
  • Then, right click on the highlighted detection, and select 'Check All Items'.
  • Next, click 'Remove Selected'. That should address the PUP entries.

If you want to keep/ignore the PUP detections, because they are familiar to you and you use them, you can add them to the Ignore List.

If you want to edit the way PUP detections are reported and handled, you can edit the MBAM settings, as described below:

• Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, click the 'Settings' tab.
  • Click the 'Scanner Settings' tab
  • Click the menu bar for each and select one of the following options: "Do not show results in list", "Show in results list and check for removal", or "Show in results list and do not check for removal".
  • When done, click the 'Exit' button

These are also explained in this recent blog post: http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/09/selecting-all-pups/

OTOH, if you are not sure what to remove and what to keep/ignore, please follow the recommendations in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
A malware expert will review your scan logs and help you to get cleaned up.

Thanks,

daledoc1

You are most welcome. :)

Because PUPs are "legal" and some users choose to install them, they are not selected for automatic removal.

But it's easy enough to change the MBAM settings so that they will be automatically reported AND checked for removal.

Sounds like you have a good plan to get some expert help. :)

Cheers,

daledoc1

Thanks for the prompt response. Obviously, I want to remove this PUP from the doghouse and then nail the door shut.

The default actions above are kind of "Ignorance is bliss..." so I will avail myself of the Option 2 in "Available Assistance..." thread.

Thanks!

Hi and I'll add one to your 34g65jq.jpg:)

PUP's have a way of replicating for a day or two after MBAM removes the initially-detected items, or I should say, that's what I appear to observe on my PC's.

For example, when MBAM detects a PUP during my unattended overnight scan, I'll remove the items the next morning while making a note of the name of the item.

Often, during the following night's scan, I'll see 1 or 2 of the same-named items so I'll remove those as well.

Usually, by the 3rd or 4th day, I don't detect any further PUP's.

I don't know the technical specifics about this topic but I'm guessing that the nature of PUP's tends to replicate like a muli-branched tree.

The good news is that MBAM performs so well that it usually detects them all and in a few days or so, the PUP's are history.

They have the ammo to seek out and zap lurking PUP's  2i7bpud.jpg

Sorry, that's not true.

Thanks for that important clarification, DHL. ;)

@ Not4hire:

Some types of malware/adware/junkware require the use of additional specialized tools for complete removal, in addition to MBAM.

It looks as if MrC is working with you in your topic over in the malware removal section >>here<<.

Please stay with that topic until MrC gives you the all-clear.

Cheers!

daledoc1

Sorry, that's not true.

I went the wrong way with this one 2qjengp.jpg

Thanks for the correction :)

Thanks for that important clarification, DHL. ;)

@ Not4hire:

Some types of malware/adware/junkware require the use of additional specialized tools for complete removal, in addition to MBAM.

It looks as if MrC is working with you in your topic over in the malware removal section >>here<<.

Please stay with that topic until MrC gives you the all-clear.

Cheers!

daledoc1

daledoc1 Thanks also :)

I wonder what makes PUP's appear to behave like that happens.  I've seen that occur on my PC where subsequent scans will detect what appears to be identical-named PUP items.

So far, they've always appeared to have all been deleted, or the scans that follow the next couple of days after initial detection always come up clear.

Not4hire , apologies for the misinformation.

PUPs are a broad spectrum of 'wares and utilities.  On must go back to the words that define a PUP which are Potentially Unwanted Programs.  This can be anything from a software bundling packager, to a tool bar, to a password recovery tool from a reputable company.

One must also realize that there are many PUPs that don't even install, they are just a GUI of command line utility and it is not that they are malicious but have the potential to be used maliciously.

One can not paint them all (PUPs) with one brush and must be specific to the type of PUP at hand and limit the discussion to that type of based upon declaration.

The ONLY thing PUPs have in common is that they may be "Potentially Unwanted".

PUPs are a broad spectrum of 'wares and utilities.  On must go back to the words that define a PUP which are Potentially Unwanted Programs.  This can be anything from software bundling packager, to a tool bar, to a password recovery tool from a reputable company.

One must also realize that there are many PUPs that don't even instyall, they are just a GUI of command line utility and it is notg that they are malicious but haved the potential to be used maliciously.

One can not paint them all (PUPs) with one brush and must be specific to the type of PUP at hand and limit the discussion to that type of based upon declaration.

The ONLY thing PUPs have in common is that they may be "Potentially Unwanted".

2hg4k10.jpg  Thanks again for the info about PUP's :)

To add a bit more about "potentially unwanted programs"; and using what I saw mentioned elsewhere.....

You gotta pay careful precaution and due diligence when installing "free stuff" or even sometimes, when updating utility applications too.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs.

It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet.

If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.

Furthermore, If the license agreement or installation screens state that they are going to install a toolbar or other unwanted adware, it is advised that you cancel the install and not use the free software.

OFF-TOPIC

Hi, Scoop: :)

As a relative newcomer here at the forum, perhaps you might not have noticed the "More Reply Options" button at the lower right corner of the message composition pane?

Then, after composing the reply, one can hit the "Add Reply" button.

<just asking> :)

The "QUOTE" button is much easier to find, to be sure.

Much/most of the time, though, it's not entirely necessary to use "QUOTE" (which is the Quote-Reply button) when replying to a post.

Doing so routinely, especially when the prior post is long, can make it a bit hard to read and follow the topic, especially when the reader is on a tablet, smartphone or other small display.

<just a polite suggestion -- no offense intended> :)

Cheers,

daledoc1

"And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming..."

Maurice

Good points :)   Thanks.  I've been fortunate, or maybe a little careful over the years as I've not encountered much of the PUP's, or at least I haven't seen evidence of them present on my HDD's.

I had a detection earlier this past week but that was only the 2nd time this year that MBAM has detected PUP's on my Desktop PC.

16jj4fo.jpg  

daledoc1

I just saw your post.  I'll remember that one.  Some forums like the "quot'ers".  I'll omit/rarely use those here.

<just a polite suggestion -- no offense intended> :)

None taken at all :)  Believe me, this forum's way ahead of the curve in civility and professionalism 2s8lbms.jpg

to amplify what maurice wrote ...

one has to be extremely careful when downloading and/or installing programs .

sometimes it comes down to making a decision of whether or not one really needs a certain piece of software (as opposed to wanting it) .

i have an acquaintance that was "infected" with the conduit crap as was mentioned in the opening post .

after asking the "20 questions" (think prosecuting attorney) she admitted to clicking "yes" to installing "conduit" in order to install the program she wanted .

evidently the program would not install/function without installing "conduit" .

i told her that i could remove "conduit" and the program she had installed and she would be smart to find a clean option to the program she wanted or forget about it entirely (it was some cutesy "shopping" and "product review" crapola) .

i removed the junk and a week later she called me and said that she had the same problem as before ... turns out she had downloaded the exact same program from the exact same site .

i asked "why ?" ...

the reply : "i just had to have ... and there are such good deals ... and ..." .

my response : "you can't have it both ways ... call me back when you are ready to look at the problem honestly and rationally" .

this was approximately a month ago ... i have not heard from her since .

like an old boy told me many years ago :

"you can't save people from themselves ... nor should you wish to"

If this post is not cut out ..........

As above, at least 95% of these are accepted by the user in EULAs of many minor downloads, plus they Thrive on any Torrent site (sorry but you say no........ YES they do).

As the removal has now become more simple (AdwCleaner / Junkware Removal Tool / etc) many people have become more "sloppy" with not taking as much care with downloads, as they just post to Experts and ask to "Clean my computer" after they drive through every mud puddle in sight.

Once in the Malware Cleaning areas, the Expert feels obliged to go over the full machine for other minor or hidden infection, and that takes valuable time and effort away from serious viral or other malware infections.

Sorry for the "rant" but I see it on at least 4 or 5 online forums (and there are dozens more) -

Said my bit - Now edit or ......... as you will

Thank You -