unusual run-time error with mbam (among other system glitches)

• Root Admin

Please try the reset on IE and if that does not work then run this and reboot and try again.

Please Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.
  • http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it on XP (for Vista and Windows 7 right click and choose "Run as administrator") and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

though i notice that at seemingly random intervals windows automatic updates does its own thing... this has never conflicted before with going through IE and getting the updates directly, but perhaps it's conflicting now? maybe i should temporarily disable windows automatic updates and just get them all in one fell swoop via IE?

i updated and ran malwarebytes on the c drive just for the heck of it, other than an opencandy PUP that accompanies all downloads of winamp installers which disappears after you delete the .exe, malwarebytes didn't pick up anything.

here's the list of things that keep failing to DL:

post-145838-0-69879400-1381184913_thumb.

• Root Admin

i updated and ran malwarebytes on the c drive just for the heck of it, other than an opencandy PUP that accompanies all downloads of winamp installers

Well not to be mean or negative here but that is certainly part of the issue.  Number 1 is always get the OS fully up to date and secure before worrying about additional non OS related software.  By installing other non related software you put the entire install at risk and thus potentially wasting hours of your time.  I've seen more than a few users have to FDISK and start over again because they wanted to install other software before getting the OS fully patched and antivirus installed to prevent infections from getting in during the build process.

Please try the following:  Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows Update that is not working

• Root Admin

You linked to a document on your local computer which I cannot reach.

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

• Root Admin

The computer appears to probably be infected now.  Please run the following and we'll see if we can correct some items.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

• Root Admin

No one knows everything and no ones singling you out.  Just want you to realize there is a better approach to installing and setting up a computer is all.

Computers are not going away anytime soon so I'm sure you may be through this process again in the future so hopefully this is a good learning exercise.

This was supposed to be a fresh build of the computer by FDISK, FORMAT and install.  Why does it have Combofix on it already?

Why is this installed?

ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver For WDM Audio

You have a log that says some thing is wrong then this one comes along and says it's okay or doesn't notice an issue.

Let me have you run the following please and then reboot the computer.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
  • Right click over JRT.exe and select Run as administrator on Windows Vista or Windows 7, double-click on XP.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply message
  • When completed make sure to re-enable your antivirus

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep uncheck it, let me know about it.  Then go ahead and click on the CLEAN button.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

asio4all is a tool for audio to help run Maschine, a lot of my electronic music friends use it, and it helped stabilize some sound issues i was having with with it. and as for combofix i stored some of those progs on the e drive for possible future use but i suppose i could've just reinstalled them later if needed. okay running those now.

okay, yeah i don't know about combofix, i'm pretty sure i would've remembered running it after i started using the new harddisk exclusively over the past couple of days... alright i'll post up the scans when i'm done, talk to you later... and i'll refrain from downloading anything for the time being regardless of how innocuous they may be.