The newest update that just downloaded broke - hard.

All,

If you can get Windows to boot (safe mode or not). Download this file: Here

Unzip the file then run the file: RunThis.bat as admin. This should restore all your files from quarantine. Thus rendering your system boot-able.

Thank you.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a problem John,

I hope all users able to boot into safe mode get their items restored from quarantine in short order.

If any users cannot boot into safe mode please create a new topic and a staffer/helper will assist.

Thank you all.

Nope. This is not the first time Malwarebytes screwed up with database definition. I couple years ago some feature or something was added without notification and several people had issues. Our renewal is coming up in June it is questionable if we'll renew wih our past experience with the product and usability/manageability in a enterprise.

NOTES FOR STUCK USERS.... I'm an IT tech and just fixed my first customer. I got 5 other calls while I was there.

I was called to a tax lawyers office to fix their problem with Malwarebytes. It would not boot into safe mode (blue screen of death)... so here's what I did to get him back up and running so he could finish taxes by midnight. (and the old man nearly had a heart attack over this!)

----

This was on an XP machine...

Boot and log into windows. At the blank screen, press CTRL ALT DEL to get task manager up.

In Task Manager, go to file and browse to c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\malwarebytes anti-malware\

and select MBAM-SETUP.exe. (it will be from your last update download)

Run it and let it do it's normal thing. It should get the latest .13 file and allow the app to run.

Go to Quarantine and restore everything you can find. (keep in mind, it will also restore everything that was removed prior to this problem).

I had 345 files it would not restore ... but those appear to be copies.

Reboot the machine once it's done ... Windows came back to life and so did the 88 year old tax attorney.

As for me ... I've lost a few years of my life over this and I'm not looking to going into work tomorrow to find about 600 other customers (including an entire police department) with the same problem. I know it's going to be a nightmare. I hope someone tests these things out before they are posted for download so this never happens again!

Mainard, this won't remove the duplicate entries that persist even after restoring, right? Anything that can be done to remove those entries?

Yes,

The extra entries can be deleted manually I had 7 copies of the same file in my quarantine when testing this issue. Manually deleting them was no issue.

I hope someone tests these things out before they are posted for download so this never happens again!

Thanks for the additional info, and yes, we have put additional measures in place to ensure that nothing like this ever occurs again.

I apologize again for all of the trouble and stress this has caused.

Thank you for your patience and willingness to help us work out this issue and triage the damage done.

I tried the fix tool and get missing kernelbase.dll.

OK, you'll need to contact support directly via one of the following links so that they can work with you in getting your system working properly as it's probably going to require more advanced steps than what has been posted here.

Home User Support

Business Support

Thank you for your continued patience in dealing with this matter, and I apologize again for the trouble this has caused.

So, for the users who lost all there files after reinstall OS, what whould we get for our mistake?

I lost so many projects!!!!

I'm sorry you had this issue. You should not have needed to do a full reformat of your system as a repair installation would have been sufficient to repair the damage done by this, thus allowing you to keep all of your data.

If you wish to attempt to recover your lost data, please contact Support via one of the following links and they will assist you in trying to do so:

Home User Support

Business Support

I'm sorry you had this issue. You should not have needed to do a full reformat of your system as a repair installation would have been sufficient to repair the damage done by this, thus allowing you to keep all of your data.

If you wish to attempt to recover your lost data, please contact Support via one of the following links and they will assist you in trying to do so:

Home User Support

Business Support

After a disk is formatted, you can not recover the files .. also, this is unacceptable as a paid customer.

You should better watch the updates that you send to the clients, hopefully you will not get sued.

Actually, talk to support - formatting a HD does not erase the data just the indexes and such - if you've freshly formatted and reinstalled, stop and don't install anything else - there are recovery tools that can still retrieve a good bit, if not all, of the data that was lost during the format.

Restarted MBAM Pro,

21 trojans listed in quartine, tried to use restore all, I think it worked but, the files are still listed there.

Should I try to delete them ?

In the Protection tab, there is a red rectangle saying protection disabled. Is it safe to re-enable this ?

NOTES FOR STUCK USERS.... I'm an IT tech and just fixed my first customer. I got 5 other calls while I was there.

I was called to a tax lawyers office to fix their problem with Malwarebytes. It would not boot into safe mode (blue screen of death)... so here's what I did to get him back up and running so he could finish taxes by midnight. (and the old man nearly had a heart attack over this!)

----

This was on an XP machine...

Boot and log into windows. At the blank screen, press CTRL ALT DEL to get task manager up.

In Task Manager, go to file and browse to c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\malwarebytes anti-malware\

and select MBAM-SETUP.exe. (it will be from your last update download)

Run it and let it do it's normal thing. It should get the latest .13 file and allow the app to run.

Go to Quarantine and restore everything you can find. (keep in mind, it will also restore everything that was removed prior to this problem).

I had 345 files it would not restore ... but those appear to be copies.

Reboot the machine once it's done ... Windows came back to life and so did the 88 year old tax attorney.

As for me ... I've lost a few years of my life over this and I'm not looking to going into work tomorrow to find about 600 other customers (including an entire police department) with the same problem. I know it's going to be a nightmare. I hope someone tests these things out before they are posted for download so this never happens again!

Right On and great info thank you Beck!!!

Restarted MBAM Pro,

21 trojans listed in quartine, tried to use restore all, I think it worked but, the files are still listed there.

Should I try to delete them ?

In the Protection tab, there is a red rectangle saying protection disabled. Is it safe to re-enable this ?

First verify that the files listed in quarantine are actually back where they belong - the list has the actual path where they should be found.

Then you can delete them from the quarantine.

Also, yes, safe to re-enable.