Microsoft to ship Windows 8 Release Preview today

Firefox

Microsoft to ship Windows 8 Release Preview today

Goof leaks word of final public milestone's early launch

Computerworld - Microsoft will ship Windows 8 Release Preview today, several days earlier than expected, according to a blog briefly posted by the company.

The blog post, written by Chuck Chan, an executive with the Windows development team, went live for a few minutes late Wednesday, long enough for several users to take notice. Neowin first reported the leak of Chan's post and its Thursday date.

Earlier, Microsoft had promised to deliver the Release Preview the first week of June, a timeframe that most, including Computerworld, assumed meant the week of June 4-8. But the company must have thought differently, figuring that Friday, June 1, qualified this week as the month's first.

The late-May debut of Release Preview meshes with a schedule spelled out in March by Michael Cherry, an analyst with Directions on Microsoft, who said that the Redmond, Wash. developer would deliver the build three months after the Consumer Preview, with a "release to manufacturing," or RTM, edition three months later.

According to Cherry's calendar, Microsoft had to deliver Windows 8 Review Preview by the end of May and RTM by the end of August. RTM is the more important of the two yardsticks, as it's the point at which code is made available to device manufacturers for prepping new PCs.

Microsoft has not yet announced a launch date for Windows 8 or prices for the OS, but analysts expect the revamped Windows to debut in October and at prices identical to Windows 7.

Unlike traditional release candidates -- which are feature complete, in that all final features are included -- Windows 8 Release Preview is unfinished.

Two weeks ago, Microsoft acknowledged that it was ditching the "Aero" user interface -- familiar to users of Vista and Windows 7 -- in Windows 8, but would not unveil most of the new look and feel in the Release Preview.

Chan's post, the first on a new blog called "Windows Hardware and Developer," did not say what time today the Release Preview would be available for downloading. The Release Preview will be available here.

Microsoft will presumably post additional information about the Release Preview, including installation instructions, alongside the download.

cwlogo.JPG

I don't think people will buy Windows 8. I'm most likely going to be wrong but by all I've seen, people really don't want to buy Windows 8. People are just content with Windows 7. But, who knows, Windows 8 might actually be a big hit.

It's looking like a great operating system for people who mainly use tablets, but I'm not sure how it's going to treat desktop users. It's certainly made some improvements since the developer preview, but we'll have to see where it ends up at the end of the year. I just don't know if I'll be able to live with my start button. :unsure:

• Root Admin

Try holding your arms up all day for an 8 hour day of work, work, work instead of resting your hand on top of a mouse and let's see how happy you are with using a touch screen. I'm betting you'll be using the mouse more and more on that touch system.

Try holding your arms up all day for an 8 hour day of work, work, work instead of resting your hand on top of a mouse and let's see how happy you are with using a touch screen. I'm betting you'll be using the mouse more and more on that touch system.

Wow! I wish i had thought of that Ron :wacko:

Mind you, i have no intention of of changing my ways for the sake of change, being an old dinosaur..........

Wayne

Guest Seagull

I have no plans on switching to Windows 8 as I am quite happy with Windows 7 and I do not see a good benefit or reason to move to Windows 8.

They can keep all that touch screen crap, I will take my mouse and keyboard any day over a touch screen. :)

That does not exactly sound like a walk in the park... bleh. I prefer keyboard and mouse as well! Touch screen is fine for tablets and smartphones and GPS units but a computer for hours on end? No!

• Root Admin

Take a look at your smart phone or your tablet - you see that dirty screen?

Even if you wash your hands religiously and try to use a stylus as much as you can you're also going to always have a dirty screen using touch media because your or someone else is going to constantly be touching it.

Take a look at your smart phone or your tablet - you see that dirty screen?

Even if you wash your hands religiously and try to use a stylus as much as you can you're also going to always have a dirty screen using touch media because your or someone else is going to constantly be touching it.

sides unless your washing your hand every hour or so your still secreting oils

I am staying with Win7 till it can't be used any more, after that it will probably be linux. No way do I want anything with touch screens or a page full of images to work through, the menu system works perfectly well and these dumb images and ribbons are a nightmare.They have ruined Outlook , Messenger and Live Mail already, all I see are more and more reasons to find other peoples apps to use in place of M$ stuff.

Yes I am an old fart that doesn't like change :lol: but my teenage son and his mates at school all say the same, for doing any form of work they want what we have now, tablets and screens etc. are fine for "play" or quick mobile use.

My observations so far....

My office 2003 works, it added shortcuts to the start screen, had to delete the ones I Did not need.

All programs added its own tiles (shortcuts)

Firefox ok

MBAM ok but no web blocking balloons.

imgburn ok so far

ccleaner ok

Team Viewer works :)

Got my old laserjet 1100 working like I had to in win 7.

Netflix auto switched me to the desktop IE instead of the metro IE. Good because I dont like Metro IE anyway.

Once you figure out how to navigate this it wasn't the worst MS could do.

Still it would be NICE to have a choice between Metro and Classic desktop as a choice.

I don't hate it but I don't Love it like I do win 7.

post-3800-0-97441300-1338583484.jpg