BIOS problem

ajp

Hi, I'm having this problem for a long time, but since I can use my pc normally, i haven't looked for help, but when I found this forum, I remembered to post here.

So this is the problem:

Whenever I start my pc, I hear some bips from the BIOS that shouldn't exist, it's one long then three shorts bips... Then after 5/6 seconds, I hear the normal bip, and the pc starts.

Something I noticed, is that if I reboot the pc, this doesn't happen... I wonder why does that happen?

I have searched the web, and I found that it could be from the ram memory, so I installed another 1Gb, and now I have 2Gb ram, I'm using XP 32bits.

But it also says that it could be from the motherboard, my motherboard is a Asus P5B, I have it since summer '07.

Thanks in advance

Whenever I start my pc, I hear some bips from the BIOS that shouldn't exist, it's one long then three shorts bips... Then after 5/6 seconds, I hear the normal bip, and the pc starts.

Something I noticed, is that if I reboot the pc, this doesn't happen... I wonder why does that happen?

3 short 1 long beeps during Power On Self Test (POST) is indicative of a RAM problem.

Open the chassis. If the RAM modules are hard to distinguish, use permanent felt tip pen and mark the OLD RAM module.

You should reseat the RAM. Turn-off and reboot.

If POST beeps continue on reboot, remove OLD RAM, keeping only new RAM. Turn-off and reboot.

If POST beeps continue on reboot, Move RAM to a different socket. Turn-off and reboot.

If POST beeps continue on reboot, remove new RAM, keeping only old RAM. Turn-off and reboot.

If POST beeps stop on reboot, the new RAM is either faulty or was not the proper rated module.

Ok, here's the thing.

I had 1Gb ram pc2-5300 cl5 240- pin dimm kingston. And then, someday, the beeps started.~

So, I went to buy new ram, and I bought 2Gb pc2-6400 cl5 240-pin dimm kit (2pcs.) from kingston also.

I removed the old ram, and installed the new in dual channel, but the beeps continued...

The strange part is that the beeps only occur, when I boot the computer. It's 1 long beep, then 3 short beeps, and after 7 seconds, the normal beep comes, and the windows starts.

But, when my desktop is already turned on, and I reboot it, the abnormal beeps doesn't occur, only the normal beep.

Why is that?

So, the problem started with the old ram, and still continues with the new ram(without the old ram, I removed it)...

Ok, here's the thing.

I had 1Gb ram pc2-5300 cl5 240- pin dimm kingston. And then, someday, the beeps started.~

So, I went to buy new ram, and I bought 2Gb pc2-6400 cl5 240-pin dimm kit (2pcs.) from kingston also.

I removed the old ram, and installed the new in dual channel, but the beeps continued...

The strange part is that the beeps only occur, when I boot the computer. It's 1 long beep, then 3 short beeps, and after 7 seconds, the normal beep comes, and the windows starts.

But, when my desktop is already turned on, and I reboot it, the abnormal beeps doesn't occur, only the normal beep.

Why is that?

So, the problem started with the old ram, and still continues with the new ram(without the old ram, I removed it)...

PC2-6400 is faster than PC2-5300 and so it is a replacement. I have upgraded many computers this way and on some the BUS speed was increased matching the faster RAM.

1 long, 3 short beeps is indicative of a RAM problem. Have you had the OS shutdown in a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) condition ?

There is one way to determine if there really is a RAM problem and that is to run a memory test using MemTest86+

http://www.memtest.org/

Download the ISO software image that comes in a ZIP file; ISO image in ZIP file

Unzip the ISO and burn a CDROM. Then boot from that CDROM. Let the test go for at least 1 to 2 test cycles. If there is a problem dealing with RAM, it will indicate that.

Additionally you had noted that this was an ASUS P5B. What is the full model of that ASUS motherboard and what is the present BIOS version ?

{ Examples: P5B Deluxe BIOS version 1238 or P5B-MX/WiFi-AP BIOS version 0702 }

There were no errors on the test.

My motherboard is p5b i965p and the bios version, I am not quite sure, I saw two numbers, when i press del and it takes me to that blue screen it says v02.58.

But when I boot my computer I see a black screen with some things written, and one of them says bios v1.06.59, I don't know if this refers to the controllers or what.

So if the problem isn't in the ram, it must be in the motherboard?

There were no errors on the test.

My motherboard is p5b i965p and the bios version, I am not quite sure, I saw two numbers, when i press del and it takes me to that blue screen it says v02.58.

But when I boot my computer I see a black screen with some things written, and one of them says bios v1.06.59, I don't know if this refers to the controllers or what.

So if the problem isn't in the ram, it must be in the motherboard?

I'm glad its not the RAM. That is also probably why your posts haven't stated you have crashed into a BSoD condition. If there was a RAM issue, a BSoD condition would be most likely experienced by you.

Possibly it is the motherboard or how the motherboard interacts with the BIOS. The BIOS is the low level code that tells the Operating System how to communicate with the hardware and what the Hardware is. It is the BIOS that is responsible for the Power On Self Test (POST) that generates the Beep Codes. Thus it is my suggestion to go to the ASUS web site and download and install the LATEST BIOS version there is. It is a possibility that there is a bug in the BIOS that may be corrected in a newer BIOS release.

But isn't it strange that these beeps started an overnight?

Can you send me the link to download the bios? and how I install it later? just an executable?

PS : about the blue screen, I have experienced it, but I think it was related to my HP printer.

But isn't it strange that these beeps started an overnight?

Can you send me the link to download the bios? and how I install it later? just an executable?

PS : about the blue screen, I have experienced it, but I think it was related to my HP printer.

The BSoD condition is displayed as a NT Stop Error with the code in Hexidecimal numbers. It is the "text" of the NT Stop Error combined with the Hexidecimal numbers that will indicate the cause of the crash, such as a RAM problem.

I am hard pressed to find an ASUS web page for support for a "P5B i965p".

http://usa.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=P5B&Page=1

It is very important to match the BIOS to the EXACT model motherboard or the result could be a dead system.

There are several differnt bios code warning. Here is a list that may help

http://www.5starsupport.com/info/beep_codes.htm

LOL - That list includes "AST Research BIOS" and as I am a certified AST technician (Premium, Bravo, Tower, CUPID, etc, circa 1990), I can state that list is OLD ;-)

I believe the ASUS P5B family use American Megatrends (AMI) BIOS and that is why I stated earlier in the thread "1 long, 3 short beeps is indicative of a RAM problem" and the web page you provided supports that.

Just to verify this, I just downloaded a ROM code "P5B-ASUS-2104.ROM" and ran it through FileInsight and had it display strings which came up with; "AMIBIOSC0800".

Ok, i believe it is P5B, at least it's the same picture.

Yes, the bios is american megatrends.

So, now, i just download and install the bios?

Didn't understand this "Just to verify this, I just downloaded a ROM code "P5B-ASUS-2104.ROM" and ran it through FileInsight and had it display strings which came up with; "AMIBIOSC0800". "

Ok, i believe it is P5B, at least it's the same picture.

Yes, the bios is american megatrends.

So, now, i just download and install the bios?

Didn't understand this "Just to verify this, I just downloaded a ROM code "P5B-ASUS-2104.ROM" and ran it through FileInsight and had it display strings which came up with; "AMIBIOSC0800". "

MikeW interjected a URL that showed different vendors using different BIOS' that had different Beep Codes. Without having a ASUS P5B motherboard in front of me, I proved that the P5B used AMI BIOS and the beep codes of 1 long, 3 short were indicative of RAM as was stated previously in this thread.

Unless we can PROVE the exact model of the motherboard and the BIOS for that exact model, it is fool-hardy to install a just any P5B related BIOS upgrade as it can leave your system impotent.

Ok, but the bios would be the solution for this? since the problem isn't in the ram.

How can I prove to you the exact model of the motherboard?

It is a probable solution, not a definitive solution.

PDF or scanned manual, physical examination of model number silk-screened on the motherboard, etc.

Example: Attached is a PDF of two older model ASUS motherboard manual covers showing full model number.

ASUS002.pdf