XP Home security 2011

Hello

I just had a question about a recent infection. This is on an xp machine sp3 with all updates. Installed the full version of MBAM along with MSE, set it up to do hourly updates with a daily scan. This morning got on the computer and boom its infected with xp home security 2011 and have no idea why or how it became infected all of a sudden.

Why did this get past MBAM? It wasn't disabled, real time protection was on and so was website blocking. I really put my faith into this program and recommend it to everybody. I'm not interested in trying to get this infection removed as I decided to reformat and reinstall as its due for a fresh start anyway.

I want to put MBAM back on it again but don't really know what to do now to keep these infections off...

Any guidance would be appreciated...

Thanks

Sorry to hear you got infected....

Just so you know, I too am working on a computer as we speak same specs as yours and it too got infected with XP Antivirus 2011. I am currently cleaning it out and getting samples to submit to the folks here at Malwarebytes.

Also, no one product is 100% especially these days with the way these viruses and malware are morphing and constantly changing the way they infect.

How did you get the infection?

Did you click on something or downloadsomethingg that was infected?

You do not need to click on anything to get that infection -

It can infect by 'Drive by' methods , meaning a site has the infection and will download it just by visiting it -

Active advertising is the most common method (as per Buttons above)

I also have the XP Home Security Virus. I have Malwarebytes updated 2 days ago. I have AVAST home security.

So as it popped up I ran an AVAST quick scan. It didn't detect a thing. Now I am running a full scan.

After 25 minutes it is 3% done and has found 1 infected file. MWB will not run at all.

So how do I get rid of this thing? I saw some earlier threads, but they were very difficult to follow.

Is there a step by step available?

I also have the XP Home Security Virus. I have Malwarebytes updated 2 days ago. I have AVAST home security.

So as it popped up I ran an AVAST quick scan. It didn't detect a thing. Now I am running a full scan.

After 25 minutes it is 3% done and has found 1 infected file. MWB will not run at all.

So how do I get rid of this thing? I saw some earlier threads, but they were very difficult to follow.

Is there a step by step available?

Did you read this already?

Remove XP Anti-Spyware 2011, Vista Security 2011, and Win 7 Internet Security 2011 (Uninstall Guide)

Gerard

Greetings :)

Is the system still infected? If so, then I'd recommend you contact support@malwarebytes.org and they will assist you with cleanup if it's still needed.

As for how it got past MBAM, it's unavoidable sometimes I'm afraid. Our researchers do their best to keep up with the latest threats and variants, however, the bad guys know this too and deliberately morph/alter their infections very frequently to try to stay ahead of us (you can bet they keep MBAM and other security software installed on their machines to test their new creations to make sure they don't get detected yet). Our researchers scour the web trying to find these new variants as quickly as we can and also try to enhance our heuristics detection of new threats, which is often effective in catching new and unknown threats, but unfortunately no strategy is absolutely 100%.

That being said, we seldom do see infected users with an up to date antivirus and fully updated MBAM PRO.