New AV App-BKAV?

Anyone here familiar with the new AV program from Vietnam, BKAV? (http://www.bkav.com.vn/home/DownloadE.aspx)

According to the following article on CNET Crave: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-101095...tag=mncol;posts

this is about the best AV program available, at much lower cost than others (for the paid version, but there is also a free version, not clear on the difference), much lower system resources used, much less chance of false positives, etc.

However, some of the comments from readers at the bottom of the page are quite negative.

I would like to know whether any here have tried that app, and whether or not you agree with the writer of that article. Is it as good as claimed there?

• Root Admin

Don't have any first hand knowledge of it. If CNET is providing a positive article then I would assume it is a legit site and application. My concerns though would be with support if Vietnamese is not your native language. Even the main GUI of the program is not in all English (which may not be an issue for some users).

So I can only speak for myself and say that I'm not too willing to beta test an AV product on my production system that is not fully available in my own language, in case it asked or modified things and I was not able to read what it was telling me.

Don't have any first hand knowledge of it. If CNET is providing a positive article then I would assume it is a legit site and application. My concerns though would be with support if Vietnamese is not your native language. Even the main GUI of the program is not in all English (which may not be an issue for some users).

So I can only speak for myself and say that I'm not too willing to beta test an AV product on my production system that is not fully available in my own language, in case it asked or modified things and I was not able to read what it was telling me.

Out of curiousity, I installed it on a computer. As stated in the article, it installed incredibly fast. I could not believe it was installed, seemed instantaneous.

The GUI seems to be in English. Unlike what one user wrote, the GUI does say 2008, although the folder it installs to says 2006.

As far as support, what kind of support do other software apps have. One is likely to reach someone in Vietnam also, or in China, who is unfamiliar with the product, and does not speak English well (with any app, these days).

Yet, what is not clear to me, is whether it provides any real-time protection, or is just an on-demand scanner. It does have the option of starting with Windows, and I don't know why one would want that, if there were no realtime protection. But that is not clear in the GUI. (No option to turn realtime protection on or off, to configure it, etc.)

I haven't really done anything with it yet, so cannot really review it. The GUI certainly lacks the polish of the big boys, but that probably makes it use less resources.

No live update in the free version, unlike others. You have to manually download the daily update from their web site, and install it. The pro version has auto update.

If it is just an on-demand scanner, and since it installs so fast, I don't think it checks for other AV products, I think one could install it on a system with other AV protection, and just use it as one extra on-demand AV scanner.

If anyone else tries it, or has tried it, let us know your opinion.

Hi, I'm from Vietnam.

This AV is just a crap. NO MORE! NO LESS!

It is useless anyway as it has the on-demand scanner only and no auto-update, no real-time protection, no phone-supported (BKAV Pro only and just supporting for Vietnamse people!) even though it has started with Windows.

Trust me, anyone in Vietnam with IT knowledges has never used this crap ever! :) We can easily buy here BitDefender, KIS-KAV and/or other AVs with a much lower price compared to this BKAV! :D

We rather use the CMC Free Antivirus than this! CMC-AV is another Vietnamse antivirus with better capability. You guys can try this at this below link:

http://www.cmcinfosec.com/

It's totally free for peronal use and it worths to have a try!

Cheers,

• 3 years later...

Wow, this Bkav Home Plus is weird software! Just out of curiosity I tried it. As soon as it was installed it began to scan. Right away it supposedly found 178 malware items. At one point a small panel appeared saying that to remove the malware I had to let it activate that option, and asked it I wanted that. Clicking OK I had to fill in my email address, and I supposed also my name, although the text on this panel was in Vietnamese, while the interface is in English. After I filled in my first name in the first space and second name in the second (without knowing if this was correct) and again hitting OK another panel appeared asking if I wanted to stop the scanning. I hit "No" but then another panel appeared saying that to activate the removal option the pc had to reboot, and it right away did just that.

During restart the interface appeared again, with a panel on top of that saying that automatic removal was activating. I waited a while to see what would happen, but after some 5 minutes clicked on Report to see what those supposedly malware items had been. My laptop froze, and I had to press the Off button until it shut off. After restart some icons on my desktop and tray bar were grayed out, and calling up Bkav I did not get any info in the report what had happened to those 178 items. Nor could I scan again. I don't even see a button on the interface to start the scanner. Only scan options.

Trying the backup option of Bkav to restore the supposedly removed malware items did not work.

Looks like I have to use a backup as I'm not sure Bkav did not make more of a mess of my laptop than it looks like with those grayed out Icons. Some even disappeared I now see. Maybe it actually did find and removed malware. But 178 items?

I could believe it if I did not have Avira Premium, Malwarebyes Pro, SuperAntiSpywere Pro, HitmanPro free, and Norton Security Scan free.

I think I now better get my external hard drive with the latest system backup I made a week ago...

Wow, this Bkav Home Plus is weird software! Just out of curiosity I tried it. As soon as it was installed it began to scan. Right away it supposedly found 178 malware items. At one point a small panel appeared saying that to remove the malware I had to let it activate that option, and asked it I wanted that. Clicking OK I had to fill in my email address, and I supposed also my name, although the text on this panel was in Vietnamese, while the interface is in English. After I filled in my first name in the first space and second name in the second (without knowing if this was correct) and again hitting OK another panel appeared asking if I wanted to stop the scanning. I hit "No" but then another panel appeared saying that to activate the removal option the pc had to reboot, and it right away did just that.

During restart the interface appeared again, with a panel on top of that saying that automatic removal was activating. I waited a while to see what would happen, but after some 5 minutes clicked on Report to see what those supposedly malware items had been. My laptop froze, and I had to press the Off button until it shut off. After restart some icons on my desktop and tray bar were grayed out, and calling up Bkav I did not get any info in the report what had happened to those 178 items. Nor could I scan again. I don't even see a button on the interface to start the scanner. Only scan options.

Trying the backup option of Bkav to restore the supposedly removed malware items did not work.

Looks like I have to use a backup as I'm not sure Bkav did not make more of a mess of my laptop than it looks like with those grayed out Icons. Some even disappeared I now see. Maybe it actually did find and removed malware. But 178 items?

I could believe it if I did not have Avira Premium, Malwarebyes Pro, SuperAntiSpywere Pro, HitmanPro free, and Norton Security Scan free.

I think I now better get my external hard drive with the latest system backup I made a week ago...

Never under any circumstances should you EVER fill out a form that requests personal information to remove infections. BAD IDEA. Most of the times these steal your personal information or send mass amounts of spam to. NEVER FILL OUT INFORMATION ON A SITE YOU NOT FAMILIAR WITH OR NEVER HEARD OF.

Edit: Firefox has a good point(below).

@Firefox

I thought this was recent. :P

Thank you for your concern. I searched for an evaluation of Bkav on Google and saw there was info on it on this forum. So instead of starting a new thread on the same subject, I decided to post my experience with Bkav here. Keep it in one place instead of spread out.

I thought about giving my email address to that company and getting spam, but I have been reporting all spam daily to SpamCop for a year now through MailWasher free. I used to get up to a 100 spam a day. Now it's down to only a few, and some days 0.

In the mean time I gave Bkav one more try by calling it up again, and saw that it does have a Scan button. I scanned again and this time it reported having found 2 items: an executable junk file and a W32malwaresysEZ.trojan. It had removed both. But there is no info on the 178 items. Maybe because I interrupted the enabling of the removal option, which caused the partial freeze and made me press the Off button. The grayed out icon and disappeared one came back normal after a reboot.

So maybe this Bkav is not bad after all. But I admit I don't know, and although it has a good looking forum, it's all in Vietnamese, and I see no English version of it: http://forum.bkav.com.vn/

I now think this AV is OK. But I'll remove it now as I already have other AV. Including another free Vietnamese AV -eScan- that recently got a rave report, having a 99,40 % detection rate according to this info. Click on the image to enlarge it under "Emsisoft Internet Security Pack gains highest Virusovnet award" here: http://www.anti-malware-reviews.com/

I'll wait with using the backup as it would mean re-installing a bunch of updates and new stuff after restoring my machine to its state of a week ago. I'll see how things go for a while.