Automatic update doesn't work

At the same time as allowing us to save a preferred update site why not add an automatic try of the alternative site if the preferred site is not available.

That would be a major improvement which I am sure would be very easy to implement.

I am also not happy with purchased software that does not work correctly. If I was happy to just use manual updates I could use the free version. I chose to buy the product as I do all my housekeeping, backups, malaware scans etc. as scheduled overnight tasks. Malawarebytes is the only application that regularly fails.

I think the idea of trying the alternate site is great, many AV's/AS's do this in case one site should go down. To be fair though, as far as failing and what not, MBAM is fairly new compared to most other security programs out there and is updated with not only new defs, but also new builds very frequently to fix bugs, add features and improve performance. The developers are incredibly active with the software, and here on the forums and are generally very open with their users, both paid and free, about the development of the software, issues with it, and what they're doing to fix it. In my opinion the biggest bonus with the paid version is realtime protection because it's much easier to block malware before it gets in than deal with the difficulties of removing it once it embeds itself and wreaks havoc.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that I had been blocked in selecting Automatic Updates, got error code 1058 and had loads of pop-ups creating their own tabs, and windows webcam froze as soon as it was put on. First I did my McAfee virus scan which detected just 2 infected files which i deleted, but the problem remained. Then I downloaded (for free)and ran Malwarebytes mbam (it takes many hours to do this so be prepared) and it identified over 30 infections which were Trojan Vundo and after choosing to delete these (it couldnt delete them all), I now have Automatic updates back and no pop-ups. I am so grateful to Malwarebytes for this. To think I have just spent money renewing my McAfee subscription, but it couldn't do what Malwarebytes could do for free.Thank you Malwarebytes!!!

I meant to add that I got some devious advert too saying that if my computer kept crashing I should down load this virus remover. Details were: VirusRemover2008_Setup_Free_en,exe

and downloadpowerfulvirus remover2008.com Of course I did not do so and I could not delete it without it instantly appearing again. End task wouldnt work and I had to turn off by switching off the computer as it wouldnt log off.

It doesn't look as though they see it as problematic enough to correct it.

I believe one of the developers mentioned fixing this in the next build, which they expect to roll out within the next few weeks. And as far as malwarebytes.org goes, a mod in another thread said that one of the servers had a hardware failure and is now fixed, and steps were taken to prevent it from happening again.

It's been doing it like clockwork here so let's hope the hardware fix solves it. But, it has also been doing it on both update sites for me.

It's been doing it like clockwork here so let's hope the hardware fix solves it. But, it has also been doing it on both update sites for me.

I think the issue you're having (and most of the users with auto update issues) has more to do with what's getting fixed in the next version than the site issues (although yesterday and today have been terrible as far as the servers go).

What is your scheduled update time? Make sure that it is not 1:00AM EST, and that should fix part of the issue.

What is your scheduled update time? Make sure that it is not 1:00AM EST, and that should fix part of the issue.

I just left it at the default time, which is 1:00 AM. How will changing that fix the issue?

I just left it at the default time, which is 1:00 AM. How will changing that fix the issue?

Because when you change your update time, then you are not trying to update at the same time as everyone else. Granted there are different time zones, so you may want to set it to update during the day. Obviously the SecurityWonks server will still fail quite a bit, until they are able to figure out what is going on.

Hello all,

I purchased MB last week.

I have the same problem, Automatic update will not update but manula update works just fine.

I am logged as admin on a XP pro sp3 box.

MB has full permission to use the internet in my firewall program.

Hitting the Check for Updates button works perfectly, MB will update manually no problem.

uninstalling and installing does not work.

seems to me this should have been fixed by now since many users above report the same problem.

Anyone find an answer to this problem yet?

thanks for the help

Greetings EL34 and welcome to Malwarebytes'. I believe the developers are working on fixing this in the next version (1.32) which should be released shortly. From what I've heard so far they plan to implement a setting that lets you choose a default web mirror for the auto update to download from, and since malwarebytes.org tends to be more dependable than securitywonks.net, it should help things a lot. Aside from that for the time being at least you might try changing your update time to an odd time like 2:30 so there isn't as much simultaneous load on the server (most people simply leave the default time so they all download at once increasing traffic). It doesn't have to be 2:30 though, that was just an example, half an hour into any hour should help you.

I'm running XP SP3 as well. I'm running MBAM 1.31. I tend to get this error when my download/upload (DSL 1.5Mb) is busy with another task. Trying again later usually works. HOWEVER, this error message at least is incorrect. I always have a valid internet connection for the update. At minimum the message should be changed to say "internet busy, try again later" or something similar.

My update runs at 22:00 EST and regularly fails to update. I don't think time is the problem.

Time is only part of the issue. SecurityWonks is the other part of the issue. Marcin is working on a fix, there is a 1.32 around the corner that allows you to select your preferred mirror.

Impossible to update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Checked my PC this morning to find my the "Connecting to...." popup on screen. Tried to connect manually to both servers, in each case the app just hung.

Obviously my Internet connection is fine as I am posting this.

What is going on????????????????

fredkw, please open Internet Explorer and see if it can access Malwarebytes.org (it is important that you use Internet Explorer for this test).

If you can get to Malwarebytes.org in Internet Explorer, then MBAM should be updating properly.

I had run a traceroute to both Securitywonks and Malawarebytes, both worked fine.

Was able to download OK following a reboot.

I will remember the IE check if the problem recurs.

I'm also having an issue with the auto updates. It worked fine for months, then one day just stopped working. When I try to save any changes in the Protection tab (like changing the time of day to update) I get the same IPersist error mentioned in post #43 (link: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=38039). If I right click the MBAM icon in the system tray and manually select 'Check for Updates' 99% of the time it works perfectly. Just wondering when/if this will be fixed. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled, cleaned the registry, reinstalled, etc etc etc with no change. I have checked Internet Explorer (I never use it anymore; I use Firefox) and IE is working perfectly.

Anyway- thanks for such an excellent product!! I still swear by MBAM and recommend it to people all the time!!!

(screen shot attached below)

post-7246-1230539097_thumb.jpg

post-7246-1230539097_thumb.jpg

I do not have a Windows login password. My OS goes from the blue 'Welcome' screen directly to the desktop without requiring a password or clicking on a user name; I'm the only user. I looked through the Event viewer and went as far as back late September 2008 and found no COM errors in either the System or Applications listings. It's just weird that the auto-updates worked fine, and then one day (unbeknownst to me) the auto-updates just stopped working. They are enabled, and manual updates work fine. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling MBAM but it made no difference. Also, when I try to save changes I get the error that I posted above. Well, I'm starting to repeat everything I already posted above.

Thanks,

[dlb]