Automatic update doesn't work

Hello,

I have installed Malwarebytes' (1.30 version) on several XP workstations (SP3 up to date).

On one workstation, I have a dialog box telling me that it can't update itself and that I have to check my Internet connection.

When I right click on the icon and choose update, all works fine.

Does someone has the solution ?

Thanks for your help

Daniel

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I have installed Malwarebytes' (1.30 version) on several XP workstations (SP3 up to date).

On one workstation, I have a dialog box telling me that it can't update itself and that I have to check my Internet connection.

When I right click on the icon and choose update, all works fine.

Does someone has the solution ?

Thanks for your help

Daniel

Hello Daniel and welcome to Malwarebytes. If your using MBAM in a corporate setting you should purchase the corporate license for it. If your a repair tech there is also a licensed version for that. In the event that you do have a license please contact support for further assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experiencing the same error with automatic update - individual user here running Vista Home Premiium with SP1 installed! I tried uninstalling then reinstalling as suggested above - didn't resolve the problem.

I have also noticed that when I try to adjust the time of either the automatic update or automatic scan, I get an error message about IPersistFile:Save.

Hi,

I have the same problem as mentioned above w/a licensed and paid version of Malwarebytes about having the automatic update run on windows xp pro. I was unable to find any further research on why or how I can fix this issue.

I have tried the uninstall and reinstall several times with no luck with my firewall turned off.

I did however go to check if the mban service was running. It was set to automatic.

I am using KIS 2009. I have added Malwarebytes to my firewall white list as well to the white list for anti malware web traffic which did not seem to have helped.

I went back to services.msc, the log on tab and enabled allow service to interact with desktop. I tested the auto update feature by changing the hour for the updates. The auto update now works.

According to the research I did this article here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782435.aspx

It states: it is recommended that you not change the Allow service to interact with desktop setting. If you allow the service to interact with the desktop, any information that the service displays on the desktop will also be displayed on an interactive user's desktop. A malicious user could then take control of the service or attack it from the interactive desktop.

my question is:

Is it alright to allow the service to interact with the desktop? since this is the only work around I can find to get the auto update feature to work or is there another proper work aound someone can recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Tessa

Run MBAM as an administrator. Using the interactive desktop is a security risk period. The article your referencing is not taking security applications into consideration. My advice is turn off the interactive desktop and run MBAM as an administrator, update and quick scan.

Hello JeanInMontana,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I am running mbam as administrator. Maybe I am missing something..everything works fine except the scheduled updates do not run when they are set in the check for updates automatically on the protection tab.

When I right click and run the program as root administrator, the program opens and updates. I'd like to get the scheduled update to work on it's own without having to update it manually by right clicking and running as administrator.

When mban loads w/windows startup the protection tab scheduling is set to run on it's own for the updates to occur. The problem is the scheduled updates do not run without the check your firewall or internet connection settings pop up error message.

I have tested this without my firewall and I have an active internet connection.

If you could please provide detailed instructions. This way I can be sure I have mbam installed and running properly. I would really appreciate it since I don't want to risk a security vulnerability on my system using the interactive desktop and I have heard wonderful things about this software which is why I bought it.

Thank you,

-=T

Like I said MBAM is not the root of the security risk in the Active Desktop. The active desktop is the risk. Turn it off. Do not allow the active desktop to run and install etc. That is the risk.

MBAM does not have an auto update at boot feature. You need to choose a time and that is when it will update. Have you set your firewall to allow MBAM? What firewall do you use? I don't know what error message your getting a screen shot would be helpful.

Hello,

I understand the security risk of active desktop. I have disabled the interactive desktop service.

Mbam is running as administrator.

My antivirus is Kaspersky (KIS 2009 as mentioned above). The firewall is set to allow mbam to run. The update error happens even with KIS disabled.

The scheduled update is set to run on the protection tab as mention w/in my prior post.

I will capture the error and post it as soon as it appears on the next scheduled test update.

Thank you,

-T

Hi squibbon, not sure I have that exact version of Vista or not but I'll try to test it within a couple days to see what I can find and post back.

/quote]

Thanks - I've been doing a little poking around in the Windows Vista task scheduler and I can manually make the scheduled update and scan tasks run from there. However, I get an error when I click on the History tab of the task. I don't know if that's of any significance, but I only got the error on the MBAM scheduled tasks....

Thanks - I've been doing a little poking around in the Windows Vista task scheduler and I can manually make the scheduled update and scan tasks run from there. However, I get an error when I click on the History tab of the task. I don't know if that's of any significance, but I only got the error on the MBAM scheduled tasks....

I have noticed on scheduled scans that if my Internet connection is busy (i.e. me doing a download) that it will give me an error message that it failed to update. But if I run a manual update after the download is finished, it updates fine. Not sure if that has anything to do with the problem stated here, but it caught me off-guard.

Hi. I am running XP SP3 and just upgraded to the paid version of MBAM yesterday. I set the auto update feature for 1.p.m. each day and today was the first one. Guess what? Up came the message saying it couldn't update. So I opened up the consol clicked the update button and it updated instantly.

Looks like this is quite a problem and not restricted to Vista!

Same thing for me. I Have problem during the update, often a window say "you cannot update due to firewall...."but is not true because on the my firewall I did authorized malwarebytes, some days the updating works some other days don't. With legal Windows XP Pro and paid version of Anti-Malware. There's really a bug somewhere...

Tried that several times.......won't stay put!

Running two PC's here one with Vista home premium and one with XP pro svc pk 3

also a friend running xp pro svc pk 2, all have tried turning off ALL FIREWALLS, BYPASS ROUTERS Still no automatic update function get the same message every time about the firewall etc........ I would say without a doubt this is BROKEN, Seems like the reasonable thing to do would be to FIX IT or REMOVE that choice in the menu so folks don't get their hopes up. Yes we did pay for this software and we both like it otherwise, BUT nonetheless IT IS BROKEN!. :huh: