Windows Xp "The one mistake microsoft did not make"

Bobc11

Windows Xp Support Poll  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ah, Windows XP. This operating system I even use on my Windows 7 Computer. I am really sad to see it going soon. Well, soon in perspecitve! :) Windows XP sould be one thing thata microsoft extends support for. This was the only gem among the disasters they usually realese. Sure, windows 7 is OK, but nothing can outdo XP. Ya know what? I might even use it after support ends! Windows Xp is the only OS that Microsoft made, that like makes sense. It has a tour, a simple start menu, simple Security Center that even people with not much knowlege in the computer field can understand. These things make windows XP special. :D I intend to use it for years to come! :) Long live XP! Woo!

**Don't critisize the way I wrote this, my spell checker is not working! :)

XP is great, but I believe support's already been extended. Approximately 14 years of support since the day it hit shelves is quite a long time :D As of right now the support end date is April 2014.

XP is great, but I believe support's already been extended. Approximately 14 years of support since the day it hit shelves is quite a long time :D As of right now the support end date is April 2014.

It has, but I think they sould keep it going longer!

Guest name cool

A long time and people know the system, XP, and use it for many years and has impressed really. For me the first system I used XP, I have liked a flexible, fast and worth the effort and use for a lifetime. And I know a lot of that has Vista or Windows Seven. And lose the people I know change of their system to the XP system.

For the stop support for Windows XP is probably the reason put forward in the draft and Windows 8, which is probably coming soon.

No one is better than XP "

M' Anti-M Free use. XP SP 3

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

However, Windows 7 was a big hit even for vista haters who made their MS vows.

How would you like to be stuck with Vista - The greatest bomb ever exploded over us poor users - Never even seemed like a decent system -

After working on several Vista units , I told people to update to whatever the next system was - Vista 2 was just a patch up job -

I still prefer my XP desktop unit , even compared to Win7 desktop units I work on -

It would be awesome if microsoft continue to support win xp as I am using one now and I think its one of microsoft best

as I heard from many ppl that vista was created to "fight" with apples interface and there was a lot of error in it

as for win 7 its kinda good but trouble some with "run as administrator "

so what I think is that win xp is still the best WINDOWS XP FTW !

How would you like to be stuck with Vista - The greatest bomb ever exploded over us poor users - Never even seemed like a decent system -

After working on several Vista units , I told people to update to whatever the next system was - Vista 2 was just a patch up job -

I still prefer my XP desktop unit , even compared to Win7 desktop units I work on -

Actually I really like Vista and want Vista Ultimate. :D

@MT

Nope. But many things do such as life itself, computers and other things, but some do last what seems forever. :D

My vote goes to continued support for XP.

Since my wife uses a laptop with Win 7, the similarities between that and XP are obvious.

What will come after Vista I wonder? I can see SkyNet from the Terminator films on the horizon and Windows 7,XP and Vista

all going the same way as Betamax video and 8-track cassettes...

Well, they do say 'if it aint broke-don't fix it' at least with XP,when it does break they DO fix it. :D

I like win7 and vista and XP...

The problem is that i have had systems that just don't work with vista, others that do work with vista...

My gaming setup is vista and its a bomb!

But extending the support xp further hmm yes and no ^^

To be honoust its sow hard to think of that they shut down the support to an OS that is still being used in alot of company's :)

(Ehm please excuse my english I do my best :) )

Malwarebytes Forum Post 13Dec2010.txt

What is really unfortunate (SAD) among the progression of all of the Windows products, especially those released after XP, or after WFW 3.11 or NT 4.0 for that matter, is that never, ever, does Microsoft REALLY listen to users, before or after a product release, or more realistically, provide a poll to ask users questions like:

1) How would you rate the following File Manager/Explorer interfaces (1-4, in order of preference)?

a) Winfile (NT 4.0) [1)

b) Windows XP (Windows Explorer) [2]

c) Windows Vista (Windows Explorer) [3]

d) Windows 7 (Windows Explorer) [4]

Provide us with suggestions as to how we could improve the current Windows Explorer interface.

2) Which mail program (provided with the operating system) would you rather use?

a) Outlook Express [x]

b) Windows Mail

Provide us with suggestions as to how we could improve the current Windows Mail interface.

3) Which internet browser is your preferred browser?

a) Internet Explorer 6

b) Internet Explorer 7 [x]

c) Internet Explorer 8

d) Mozilla Firefox

e) Avant Browser

f) Flock

g) Google Chrome

k) Konqueror

m) Maxthon

o) Opera

s) Safari

Provide us with suggestions as to how we could improve the current Internet Explorer interface.

My choices noted above in brackets [ ].

I firmly believe that after every new release, Microsoft takes the people who participated in that release and moves them up the ladder or off the corporate ladder all together and puts together an entirely new "team" for the next release who takes it upon themselves to attempt to reinvent the wheel with many things different just so they can say "we did it."

Example in point - Winfile (NT 4.0). I STILL use this program as my preferred file manipulation program in XP, Vista and Windows 7. As an IT, I refuse to work on a system for anyone unless it is installed - period. If Microsoft had used the interface or merely kept the features that existed in Winfile (NT 4.0), which has long file name support, EASY security and access rights configuration, file confirmation warnings, etc., etc., and merely added the few improvements to it that they made with Windows Explorer (right click context menu; the ability to display tiles, thumbnails and icons, etc.), they would have had no complaints from anyone. I use both Winfile and Explorer, depending upon the circumstances, but in actuality, 90% +++ of the time it is Winfile since it keeps and maintains the last 2 (or more) Drive/Directory paths that the user had open when File Manager was last closed, rather than popping up a single window like Explorer does. The Winfile file confirmation feature prevents a file move operation from turning into an easter egg hunt if the user's finger slips off the mouse button and drops the file who-knows-where. File confirmation also prevents the unwanted copying of files just because you clicked on them too fast during the selection process.

Enough said, or I'll be accused of "ranting." I personally will use XP until it is pried from my cold, dead fingers or the programs that I need to use no longer run on it. In reality, if anyone is happy with the operating system they now have, that is the criteria that they should intelligently use in making the decision "do I REALLY need to upgrade?"

Malwarebytes Forum Post 13Dec2010.txt

Example in point - Winfile (NT 4.0). I STILL use this program as my preferred file manipulation program in XP, Vista and Windows 7. As an IT, I refuse to work on a system for anyone unless it is installed - period.

How do you install it in XP? I have a NT4 disc.

• Staff

I think Windows 7 is excellent. It and DirectX 11 far surpass XP and DirectX 9 in my opinion.

I answered no, XP support should not be extended farther than it already has been. (How many of you intend to have the same computer after 14 years?)

7 doesn't remind me of XP, per se, but I think it's far better..

How do you install it in XP? I have a NT4 disc.

:D WINFILE INSTALLER INFORMATION

Go Here to download a Winfile MSI installer: http://www.brydon.net/winfile/default.asp

He created the installer from the work this guy did: http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~davidsch/vistafm/

The installer makes installation a breeze, but I found out after one install on XP that it was easier to get copy the entire subdirectory from one XP installation for new XP installations using the same new subdirectory he used (C:\Windows\System32\Winfile). The installer might be better if you are running Vista in order to insure that you get the access control; I only had one Vista machine to try the installer on, it worked fine, gave me Vista access control, and all I did after the install was change the icon since I like the Winfile Icon I made and have been using for the past 9 years. With Win 7, there are some issues with being able to change file permissions and take ownership, and that advantage (only) of the Win NT 4.0 File Manager does not function, but the guy who made the next package has a lot of writeup on how to conquer that.

His Winfile package additionally has Winfile Add-Ons: http://www.mdgx.com/bin.htm#FM

Microsoft File Manager (FM) 32-bit + FM Add-ons documentation: http://www.mdgx.com/files/fmnt32.php

From the layout of his home site (http://www.mdgx.com/) it is obvious that he has spent a lot of time working with the Winfile package, adding larger dialog boxes and right-click menus. There are a few cosmetic issues, but after running his version on 2 machines for over 6 months, I can safely say that they are ONLY COSMETIC, and you will really appreciate his package.

Note: Be sure to visit all of these sites listed and copy EVERYTHING that has been posted for archival and reading - this stuff is probably not going to stay around forever . . .

I always add the Winfile Help and Glossary to all installations as well as start menu entries, but be aware that you will have to download the correct Microsoft add-ons to support winhlp32 in both Vista and Win 7, since Microsoft conveniently forgot that maybe a lot of programs might still need Winhlp32 support.

If more people are interested in Winfile, more details, files or info, contact me through the forum. I can spend some more time on this post, but not today; I have a full plate.