Registry Cleaner /Question?

inferno

Theirs many registry cleaners out there but none of them actually clear the registry properly, for example if you have un-installed a software, the remaining software information will still be in the registry, like if you download "MBAM" for example then un-install it.. registry-->>software->>malwarebytes... will still remain their. and i think this may waste alot of space... for people who dont know much about the registry.

So is there actually any software that clears your computer properly + the un-needed folders/files that are not being used.

Also list a few up-to-date software that keep your computer clean and in peak performance. I currently use AdvancedSystemCare.. but if there's anything you can reply back and list the software you've had experience with.

My CPU Usage is above 65% which I think is alot for having barely any programs running. If you can give some basic information on how to keep a computer at top performance running fast .etc.

Thanks - .

• Root Admin

AdvancedSystemCare may be part of your issue. If you like you can submit a DDS scan and AutoRuns scan and we can work with you to trim down your resource usage.

As for Registry Cleaners for the most part I think they're not needed.

A few recommended articles to read on registry cleaners:

1. An often posted and quoted article, Ed Bott's Why I don't use registry cleaners
  2. Older article quoting two MVPS's, but relevant still is Do I need a Registry Cleaner?
  3. AUMHA Discussion: Should I Use a Registry Cleaner?

If you do wish to run the scans and submit the logs for review then please follow the directions below.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Modifying the registry is not recommended No there are no registry cleaners that are 100% safe I don't recommend the use of ANY registry cleaners.

as they say if you don't have the knowledge to manually edit the registry you should just leave it alone

Here is an excerpt from a discussion on registry cleaners

Most reg cleaners aren't bad as such, but they aren't perfect and even the best have been known to cause problems. The point we are trying to make is that the risk of using one far outweighs any benefit. If it does work perfectly you will not see any difference. If it doesn't work properly you may end up with an expensive doorstop.

This post by Bill Castner is very informative: WhatTheTech Forum

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications.

There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly, can render the system unbootable.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry, has been highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone.

Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly can have disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

For routine use by those not familiar with the registry, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

If your not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.

just my 2 cents

edit sorry sir we must have been posting at the same time

Registry cleaners are very hard to predict if they actually help your system. Some cleaners such as Comodo System Cleaner are very aggressive and can actually destroy windows components(seen first hand). Others like Regcure are scamware and charge you to fix anything or does not remove every item. Most people should steer clear of these or at least use ERUNT to backup the registry first.

• 3 weeks later...

hi.

the only cleaner i 90% trust is ccleaner.

ive used it for over a year and never had a problem.

i did install comodo system cleaner and soon after uninstalled as i found it too aggressive.

i think really defragmenting the registry is ok.

many thanks.

bye.

hi.

the only cleaner i 90% trust is ccleaner.

ive used it for over a year and never had a problem.

i did install comodo system cleaner and soon after uninstalled as i found it too aggressive.

i think really defragmenting the registry is ok.

many thanks.

bye.

good to see you back on-line, can't pm you?... I get an error? maybe its off...

hi yardbird hope you are well my good friend.

its nice to be back on-line.

had an issue with a program called hostsman.never again will i install this program as it seized up the computer major fashion.maybe i was using it in-correctly i dont know.

do you have any input on this program to add?

many thanks yardbird and all the best.

bye for now.

hi yardbird hope you are well my good friend.

its nice to be back on-line.

had an issue with a program called hostsman.never again will i install this program as it seized up the computer major fashion.maybe i was using it in-correctly i dont know.

do you have any input on this program to add?

many thanks yardbird and all the best.

bye for now.

Nope! YoKenny1 or MysteryFCM have a site on that.. besides were on someone else's topic.... later

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

well ive read on several forums that it is crucial to clean the registry otherwise it becomes bloated and affects system stability.personally i dont use them.

but i think the major problem is continually installing and un-installing software.

why cant people just install what they really need and leave it at that instead of installing a load of crap and then un-installing again.

it doesnt do the computer any favours at all.

regards.

heh ... why ?

to paraphrase ; "curiosity killed the comp" .

human nature is human nature . that is why there are the "darwin awards" .

:):)

yes , there are a lot of crap registry cleaners out there and some of them can (allow the user) to do some serious damage to a system . this is either by poor design or allowing the user to blindly remove entries ...

and the biggest reason of all : user ignorance . by ignorance i mean the primary dictionary definition of the word , which is simply "unaware or not knowing" .

i was reading an article that was buried in a site mentioned elsewhere in these forums . the gentleman that wrote it mentioned that the registry for windows has become more robust over time (meaning with each release of a new OS ... i wonder about ME though) . this is true . he also mentioned that he had rendered an older OS inoperative by removing a couple of entries he should not have ... fortunately he had made a backup copy of the registry and after reloading the copy all was ok .

the key here is that he knew what to do in order to recover from a grievous error , accordingly he knew that it was essential to make a backup copy of the working registry before removing entries .

i have had similar experiences with W98 ... norton had a set of "tools" . one of these allowed you to look for redundant files and registry entries and had a red/yellow/green indicator system (i'll bet some others here remember this utility set --- "systemworks") .

the man mentioned that a system can also be damaged by removing various files and folders from the (say) system folder or a bunch of dlls . this is something that i do not find mentioned nearly as often as "the registry" .

i have seen what happens to a machine after a "button pusher" gets rid of a program , not by uninstalling it but rather by deleting the files/folders ! :):) :)

personally speaking , the bottom line is that while the registry (et al) has become better over time , it is still a very touchy area for the average user to play around in (think minefield here) .

i have seen systems that benefited from a real honest cleaning of the registry ... these were systems that had seen a lot of install/removal activity (including the windows updates) and the sad fact that many programs are like a bad house guest -- they do not clean up after themselves . some of these systems were bogged down , would crash after running for a while or trying to open a program .

in these cases there is/was justification for finding out what is/was wrong and allowing someone that is knowledgeable and competent about such matters to "deal with it" .

perhaps it is best to treat the registry like an out-house when it is -20F : only go there when you reeeaaallly need to and know exactly what it takes to get the job done .