Flash drive issues

DarkSnakeKobra

I've been seeing a lot of flash drives go out with the recent and most painful my 16GB's death. Most if not all have been bought from Wal-Mart and have had 4-5 go out. Could these be defective or misuse? Have had a lot of poor experience from them with a lot of my purchase such as my laptop that has dvd drive issues, flash drives and possibly some others. Normally I just pull the flash drive out without having the OS safely remove it. Should I have the OS to remove it or is just pulling it out fine?

I always ALWAYS "safely remove hardware".

I know there are risks not doing so. They've never happened to me personally, and I used to just take them out w/o doing that, but I don't risk it anymore. I safely remove any removable drives prior to removal.

It could be defective, it could be that you didn't safely remove one times too many, or maybe you're just unlucky. I always always recommend safely removing the removable drive, just to be safe.

I always ALWAYS "safely remove hardware".

I know there are risks not doing so. They've never happened to me personally, and I used to just take them out w/o doing that, but I don't risk it anymore. I safely remove any removable drives prior to removal.

It could be defective, it could be that you didn't safely remove one times too many, or maybe you're just unlucky. I always always recommend safely removing the removable drive, just to be safe.

Yeah, I'll start doing that again. Can't help to think it's partially my fault. I'm pretty sure it is and not safely removing it isn't helping.

Maybe I can catch a leprechaun and that would increase my luck.:)

Eh, no good pictures on google.:)

:angry:

It would be a good idea definitely to start doing that, Buttons.

Maybe a no-go, but, did you try Recuva? I am not sure if it would work on Ubuntu, but if you can get it to install in your VM it's worth a shot :blink:

I always use "Safely Remove Hardware", especially in Vista and 7 due to how they index everything so if they're still accessing the drive, it could lead to data loss or corruption.

How would you stop it from indexing items when you want to safely remove the drive? Or would waiting be sufficient?

San Disk's Flash USB's they tend to crash.

Oh that's a peach. San Disk flash drives are what all my backups are on. That's okay though, I always safely remove first. :)

Well I have a 2 GB and an 8 GB. I thought I had a 4 GB but I don't.

I didn't know you could register them. That's pretty cool.

To be honest I don't think I'd bother though, heh.