IP Addresses

Guest ~BD~

Hi :D

I recently found a helpful site - http://www.whatismyip.com

However, I became confused when one day it said my IP address was 195.93.21.101 and then the next time I checked it had changed to 92.41.6.83.

I then discovered that the IP address depended on whether I found 'wimi' using my AOL browser - or simply by using Internet Explorer.

My previous understanding was that each computer had it's own identity - I can't rationalise that with it having a different 'signature' dependent on the selected browser.

I should be most grateful for some guidance in this matter. TIA

Dave

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you use dial-up, your IP changes with every connection. It's also known as a Dynamic IP address.

A static IP address is one that is assigned to you and never changes.

By the way, there is also http://whatismyip.org which gives just your IP address and nothing more. :D

Please re-read my query, Tarun. My IP changed with browser selection.

FYI, the link you posted resulted in this error message 'Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. The request was rejected by the HTTP filter. Contact the server administrator. (12217)'

Dave

Please re-read my query, Tarun. My IP changed with browser selection.

FYI, the link you posted resulted in this error message 'Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. The request was rejected by the HTTP filter. Contact the server administrator. (12217)'

Dave

Hi Dave :D.

Are your using AOL UK ADSL as a ISP? and have you used the installation CD ROM they provide?. Just wondering as this may shed some light on your initial query etc.

If so, I know technically it is classed as a broadband connection but actually utilizes the in place telephone lines of BT etc so really it is ADSL and you will be using a micro-filter on the telephone port that connects to either a modem or modem/wireless router combination. Let me know exactly which please as I have a good idea what maybe going on.

Check with this one :D

http://mysteryfcm.co.uk/?mode=IP

If when accessing via a single connection, two browsers returned two different IP's, chances are it was detecting AOL's gateway/filter IP, instead of your own (both myself and my parents used to be with AOL many moons ago;) ).

Well, thats that confirmed;

Name: cache-los-ad05.proxy.aol.com

Address: 195.93.21.101

Name: 92.41.6.83.sub.mbb.three.co.uk

Address: 92.41.6.83

three.co.uk = 3G (like the Virgin/Orange one's, that provide USB dongles to plug into your machine to access the interweb).

Either IE is set to use the 3G connection, you've got the AOL software connecting via the 3G connection**, or you are paying for 2 internet connections ........

** If you're not paying AOL for the internet connection, and simply have the AOL software connecting via the 3G connection, then the AOL software is filtering your traffic through the AOL gateway - something it should NOT be doing.

Hi Dave :D.

Are your using AOL UK ADSL as a ISP? and have you used the installation CD ROM they provide?. Just wondering as this may shed some light on your initial query etc.

If so, I know technically it is classed as a broadband connection but actually utilizes the in place telephone lines of BT etc so really it is ADSL and you will be using a micro-filter on the telephone port that connects to either a modem or modem/wireless router combination. Let me know exactly which please as I have a good idea what maybe going on.

My ISP at home is, indeed, AOL (but I cannot comment on the url used - the one cited doesn't work for me here using IE7)

I did use the AOL set-up disc originally (some years ago) but have since downloaded AOL 9.0VR onto both my desktop and laptop machines. Both have XP Home.

I'm writing to you now, on my laptop, from my narrowboat - and connecting to the Internet using a 'Three' mobile broadband dongle (a fairly recent aquisition!). I can use either AOL or IE7 to connect, yet the IP address differs.

Dave

Either IE is set to use the 3G connection, you've got the AOL software connecting via the 3G connection**, or you are paying for 2 internet connections ........

** If you're not paying AOL for the internet connection, and simply have the AOL software connecting via the 3G connection, then the AOL software is filtering your traffic through the AOL gateway - something it should NOT be doing.

I'm paying AOL for my Broadband connection at home when my desktop and laptop are connected wirelessly to my Netgear router. Both machines use XP Home.

I'm also now subscribing to 'Three' - for a 3G connection via a dongle (USB) so that I may use the Internet whilst away from home on board my narrowboat (like, now!).

I can use my AOL browser OR IE7 ............. but the reported IP addresses are different.

I'll expand. I have been banned from using Annexcafe.com newsgroups ('cause I think there are some bad guys operating there!). They tell me that they know that it's me connecting to their server by the IP address they note. As my IP address appears to change dependent on browser and/or because of the dynamic nature of the IP address changing on each connection, I believe that they must be able to identify me in some other way (perhaps by putting a spy on my computer?).

Question: Is there a real difference in connecting to the Internet via a web site/URL (monitored by my Kaspersky AV7) and connecting directly to a server using Outlook Express (newsgroups facility). Sorry to be so vague!

Dave

Dump AOHell. Why pay for two ISP's? AOL is a monster at control of all users, you have a bunch of crap on your PC that they put there and I knew if I had you remove it they would put it back or not let you connect until it was put back.

I had hoped my 'Three' 3G dongle would work at home ........... but I live in a poor reception area and it will not work! It's fine in many areas, though, where I cruise my narrowboat (mostly in the UK Midlands).

Many have told me to dump AOL .......... I might just do so (I'm well past any contract term commitment) but then who to chose? Everyone I talk to has some complaint about their ISP!

Thanks for your view, Jean! :D

Dave

Hi Steven. ;)

I'd be most grateful if you would review the Header Details I've added below and advise me just which of the IP addresses refer to my computer. None appear to be the same as others in this thread.

Perhaps I'm being unbelievably 'thick' today!

TIA

Dave

Thread-Topic: Just discovered this site - anyone familiar?

thread-index: AckBygm3yVxr0CoCQFy+fJaca2/OcA==

X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 207.46.193.207

From: =?Utf-8?B?Qm9hdGVyRGF2ZQ==?= <BoaterDave@discussions.microsoft.com>

References: <#G8c8NRAJHA.1180@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> <uUW5VjZAJHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>

Subject: Re: Just discovered this site - anyone familiar?

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 00:06:01 -0700

Lines: 57

Message-ID: <31A66BE5-4413-47E0-9236-36F5ABB69BA9@microsoft.com>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="Utf-8"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000

Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message

Importance: normal

Priority: normal

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.3119

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.security.virus

NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftsbfm01.phx.gbl 10.40.244.148

Path: TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl

Xref: TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.security.virus:82438

Why the sarcasm, Richard?

I review *every* relevant site I find in an effort to increase my knowledge

of 'the bad guys' - the site to which I refer seems to have sound objectives.

Did you actually take the time and trouble to take a look? I suspect not,

but I'll be delighted if you advise that you did!

Dave

--

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Do you get paid for this?

>

> --

>

> Richard Urban

> Microsoft MVP

> Windows Desktop Experience

>

>

>

> "~BD~" <~BD~@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> news:%23G8c8NRAJHA.1180@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> > Home page says ............

> >

> > "Welcome to the new, improved viruswarn.com. While we're just

> > starting to get the site back up and running, we have some exciting new

> > capabilities. For the first time the forums for Viruswarn will be

> > integrated directly into the website, rather than hosted at

> > www.leedrake.com. You will be able to interact with the authors and

> > participate in online discussions.

> >

> > In addition, we plan to syndicate our blogs, and all our forum

> > content so that you can easily reproduce it on your own site, or add it to

> > your site's main web page. This syndication capability will make us your

> > source for virus and security warning info.

> >

> > Once you've registered and logged in you'll have access to exclusive

> > members-only content".

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Please see: - http://www.viruswarn.com/

> >

> > This is *not* SPAM - it is a genuine enquiry to discover the views of

> > others here. TIA.

> >

> > Dave

> >

> >

>

>

#1 Please obfuscate the viruswarn.com link :)

Why? Might it not be of interest to others here? ;)

#2 10.40.244.148 is an IANA RESERVED address. I can't see any other IP's in the headers?

This confused me - X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 207.46.193.207

Is this not an IP address?

I have a vague rememberance that 10.40.244.148 (or similar) is shown because I posted from the Microsoft Discussions web site - is that the case, Steven?

MS advises on its site that ones IP address (ie mine!) will be shown on some newsreaders - and, in particular, Outlook Express (From which I copied the Header info. for this post).

So the question is - Why doesn't my IP address show up in the Header detail?

Dave

I missed the 207.46.193.207 entry the first time round, apologies for that.

Though it doesn't have a PTR record (doesn't resolve to a hostname), that IP belongs to Microsoft, so does not belong to yourself.

http://hosts-file.net/?s=207%2E46%2E193%2E207

Unless the 10.x address is your internal IP (you can find this out via Start > Run, entering: CMD, clicking OK and entering: ipconfig /all), I've no idea why the header does not include your IP, as this is almost always the case.