IP Addresses

Is there something I'm missing here as well? Basically as I read it you're upset that some site banned you? Well as already said, there are methods to track you and it's up to you to read and learn more about how computers interact with each other on a network in order to prevent it in the future. You can't change what's been done already.

Unless you're using a good firewall (and know how to set it) then they could even remotely scan your system to help verify it was in fact you. Most ISPs won't block out scans as they just provide you a connection, how you protect that connection is up to you.

In post "35 I showed a copy of a previous very brief explanation. It said:-

Recognising my inexperience, I set out to determine more about 'malware' and

try to discover just *how* I may have got a Trojan on my PC. I thought that

I had been careful, using Zone Alarm, AVG anti-virus, Ad-Aware and Spybot

amongst others. Oh yes, and a new facility then called Prevx. Insufficient

protection as it turned out!

Few stones have been left unturned (just google for BoaterDave and you'll

find many hundreds of my posts - I didn't ever think to do that less than

two years ago - how naive was that! <g>).

A suspicious email invited me to A/C U2U. I went simply out of curiosity. (I'd been posting queries on the Microsoft groups)

I asked many questions. Although I learnt a great deal from many helpful

people, some questions drew a blank and some folk became irritated. A person

or persons unknown was later able, somehow, to disable my PC whilst I was

connected to U2U through a modem and OE6. Not once, but on a number of

occasions. My quest is to determine just *how* it was done. By whom is

another matter, probably best left to the police.

In fact, whilst operating on Annexcafe U2U I had two computers set up side by side. I was convinced that 'bad guys' were somehow .......... using the site as a cover, shall we say. I deliberately tried to provoke reaction and certainly achieved it! My PC was, I'm quite sure, deliberately attacked, time and time again. I became very adept at formatting and re-installing windows whilst being able to maintain newsgroup contact via the other computer. Eventually, though, I failed to recover and had to resort to installing a new hard disk.

Things seemed better for a while, but I eventually trashed the whole machine about 18 months ago and bought a second-hand home-built machine to continue my experimentation. I'm quite sure IP scanners have been used against me and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find something untoward still lurking within this machine!

HTH

Dave

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As AdvancedSetup mentioned, some ISP's (and again, the vast majority do provide this) do not provide a PTR record for their customers, under the presumption (and false presumption) that it is more secure. Completely useless as you could just lookup the net-block information to find the ISP it is associated with. The IP you referenced for example, is owned by Carphone Warehouse, via Opal Telecom;

inetnum:		 92.16.0.0 - 92.23.255.255netname:		 CPWBBSERV-NETdescr:		   Carphone Warehouse Broadband Servicescountry:		 GBadmin-c:		 GJB18-RIPEadmin-c:		 PM58-RIPEtech-c:		  GJB18-RIPEtech-c:		  PM58-RIPEstatus:		  ASSIGNED PA mnt-by:		  OPAL-MNTsource:		  RIPE # Filtered
person:		  Gareth J Bowenaddress:		 Opal Telecommunications Plcaddress:		 Northbank Industrial Estateaddress:		 Irlamaddress:		 Manchesteraddress:		 United Kingdomaddress:		 UKphone:		   +44 161 2222000fax-no:		  +44 161 2222003e-mail:		  gbowen@opaltelecom.co.uknic-hdl:		 GJB18-RIPEmnt-by:		  OPAL-MNTsource:		  RIPE # Filtered

Incidentally, I actually see more website IP's without a PTR, than ISP's customers IP's. Why is this? who knows. It's no more, or less secure than having or not having one (though having one is considered good practice).

:unsure:

@ BD I think Steven explained how the IP even with a user name change can be traced very well, if not keep asking. Most sites I help manage do not allow user name change without an Admin or Moderator assisting. Which brings me to a question for you, why do you want to hide your posts on these forums in question? Or am I reading more into this than there is?

He did!

<with a smile> But if I hid my posts in a newsgroup ......... no-one would be able to read them! :unsure:

Edit #2 Why on earth would you want to stick with AOHELL as ISP? There are lots of options from providers that actually get you straight to the WWW and don't force install crapware on your machine

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the fact that my telephone line has been 'doctored' by AOL (activated?) does not mean that I need to load their software in order to go on-line - any browser will work. They are priced competitively too and they gave me a free NAT router when I signed up! ;)

HTH

Dave

Well perhaps in Europe you get directly connected with a STATIC IP but here in the US one often has to pay additional fee to get a STATIC IP, also most share the computer using some type of Router and yes NAT does have something to do with it. Network address translation

and no ISP that I know of even attempts to provide a PTR Record for any clients machines behind one.

NAT obscures an internal network's structure: all traffic appears to outside parties as if it originates from the gateway machine.

For example, I have 5 machines at home and not a single one has a PTR record that can be located via the Internet based on it PTR.

My own internal router knows them, but no one outside my private network does. If I only went through the modem then I would potentially have one as my internal network IP would then be the same one as given by my ISP and not in a Private Range.

So if YOU are connected directly via some modem to your ISP and you don't have an IP in the Private Range then yes your system might have a PTR Record, but rarely the case now days here in the US. Every user I've known or supported is using a Router and has 2 or more machines.

Ah! okay. Yes some do some don't as in the case of AOL I would find it difficult to believe they would have one for any but the main block as they change the users Dynamic IP too fast to allow for a PTR record to be uploaded and resolved by their DNS servers, but it's possible.

Though publishing or not publishing a host name PTR record is of very little difference as far as security. It only prevents inexperienced users from locating it.

For ~BD still boils down to (IMHO) that you need to read and learn more about your computer and networking in order to make more informed choices.

Cheers...

For ~BD still boils down to (IMHO) that you need to read and learn more about your computer and networking in order to make more informed choices.

Cheers...

How right you are AdvancedSetup ........... but I am trying! (who said very? <grin>)

I thank you for your patience and for your helpful advice. :unsure:

A picture speaks a thousand words. Here's a screenshot - from which it might be more obvious why there is an element of confusion on my part!

Cheers

Dave

post-2931-1221492606_thumb.jpg

post-2931-1221492606_thumb.jpg

The AOL browser has much more control of what you're doing and seeing and has caching enabled. Using a browser such as Google, Firefox or similar without any AOL interface would be a much closer version of the truth. Though even with the AOL 9 SUITE installed I'm sure they could easily control other things on your machine. I've not used or seen AOL in action on any system now in a long time, but in the past for a Hi-Speed/Broadband user I don't think you even need the AOL software installed, but I could be wrong.

If at all possible to just get an IP from AOL and remove their software, that would be the best choice for someone that wants more control of their system.

• 1 month later...
The AOL browser has much more control of what you're doing and seeing and has caching enabled. Using a browser such as Google, Firefox or similar without any AOL interface would be a much closer version of the truth. Though even with the AOL 9 SUITE installed I'm sure they could easily control other things on your machine. I've not used or seen AOL in action on any system now in a long time, but in the past for a Hi-Speed/Broadband user I don't think you even need the AOL software installed, but I could be wrong.

If at all possible to just get an IP from AOL and remove their software, that would be the best choice for someone that wants more control of their system.

Thanks for your advice and comments, AdvancedSetup. Once again, my apologies for the delay in my reply.

I have made a compromise - having just 'flattened and rebuilt' both my desktop and laptop. The latter now has the AOL 9.0VR suite installed (my wife likes it!) - but I've not installed AOL on the desktop.

All programmes on each machine seem to be working well! Seems that you were right! :)

Dave

• 3 months later...

Hello All. :angry:

There is an add on for FireFox which shows the site pf the IP you are on and when you point the mouse to its icon shows both your LAN and WAN addresses,besides you get about six variants of immediate whois functionablity by right clicking the icon

P.S. these as well as other FireFox tips where given to me by an advicer who know more then I just to be honest I am just passing them along since not saw posted here <_<

Hey, whether you learned it elsewhere and are telling us or you just figured it out yourself, knowlege is knowlege and is always appreciated. Thanks for the info (I don't personally use FireFox, but MANY do) and I'm sure it will come in handy for them. <_<

• 2 months later...
Guest ~BD~

UPDATE

Readers here who helped me may like to know that I have, at last, dumped AOL in favour of BT :)

I've also switched to an iMac - the 24 inch screen lets me see all my mistakes even more clearly! :)

Cheers

Dave