ISP Speed & IP Protection

This post was started as simply informative as is my post. It's the 'We don't care we have other fish to fry/bad luck get a refund' attitude that has caused bad feeling.

A few weeks ago I pointed out to the Chinese company 'Wise' that Malwarebytes were blocking their IP. They were not a malicious site, but sites hosted by the same company were. The reply's on this site to a person who was struggling to write English (Mandarin Chinese is by far the most widely spoken language) were to say the least curt & to be honestly frank rude. Which surprised me somewhat because of this I privately helped them (Wise FOC) out with English & so they could understand the blunt replies.

The attitude of 'helpers' on this site is enough for me to desist using Malwarebytes software & to stop any further recommendation until Malwarebytes helpers get a civil tongue in their heads. Any inflammation as I see it has been caused in this thread at least not by the original posters but by Malwarebytes helpers. I think as time passes this 'slowdown' issue is bigger than you helpers realise.

It has caused me some headaches & Virgin Media too who will in two days get a registered post letter referring to this issue & a link to this site. I suppose this post is sufficient to get me banned, but to be honest I really don't want to be associated with such rude & uncaring people anyway, so i wont be posting again.

Paul

UK

I understand the first and second section. But the second section doesn't make much sense. If you would like help then you need to calmly explain your problem and not demand immediate response. I understand that this can be frustrating, but we cannot or will not move people up to the top of the priority list. Everyone has the same importance with no one more important then anyone else. We don't hand out "VP passes". We all have the same version and won't release a new one specifically because it's not working for one person. It takes time and research for problems that occur on some computers rather then others.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...] I also suggest anyone who is dissatisfied or satisfied with this IP Protection impact to download speeds make it known here and add to this string. [...]

I have 10M down / 1M up service I normally average 8.9-9.5M down / .9M up from the Tampa Bay area to Chicago. With IP Protection on I get 7.8M / .9M avg; with it off I get a 8.3M avg. I can live with it. Then again I used a 300/1200 BAUD modem way back when.. Since you're getting a refund with no argument perhaps you should take your money and buy a different program. *shrug* I dunno.. each to his own. :)

IP protection on:

Download Speed: 848 kbps (106 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 411 kbps (51.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 47 ms

Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:44:02 PM

IP Protection off:

Download Speed: 782 kbps (97.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 410 kbps (51.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 44 ms

Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:46:02 PM

As you can see I don't have access to these 100MB's connections like you city folk do.....but as you can see no difference here...

Satori, I appreciate you're upset about your speed, but this isnt the issue. If you take a look at the PERCENTAGE reduction you are experiencing, you'll find that you are experiencing am 18% reduction in speed.

I've just visited some other threads and it's really obvious, there are real problems here, ADMITTED by COMPANY personel. Have a look....

Slam Dunkley

Feb 25 2010, 02:41 AM

Post #1

Group: Honorary Members

Member No.: 29,897

It's confirmed malwarebytes does reduce internet speed, I saw the post from that guy who had 60mb internet which Malwarebytes slowed down by quite a bit, it used to be near 10mb but is now only 5-6mb since I was having trouble with my Internet speed, i thought I would try turning off Malwarebytes to see if my internet speed went up, I ran this test on the speedtest.net website, I ran it 10 times with Malwarebytes on, and 10 times with Malwarebytes off. I discovered on every time I turned on Malwarebytes the my internet was only at 5mb, but when turned off it was hitting near 10mb the amount I'm paying for, Malwarebytes you need to sort this out because there going to be plenty more who will notice this.

exile360

Feb 25 2010, 03:00 AM

Post #2

Forum Deity

Group: Experts

Member No.: 2,103

Greetings

Yes, this is a confirmed issue and is being worked on by the developers. Thank you for reporting your findings .

--------------------

Samuel E Lindsey

Malwarebytes Quality Assurance

Deke40

Mar 10 2010, 03:52 PM

Post #1

Group: Members

Member No.: 34,939

As you can see by the image my speeds drop drastically when using the IP Protection of MalwareBytes.

Is this normal and what can I do about it?

Attached image(s)

To everyone:

Also, may I add, if I am understanding correctly, and if anyone knows for a FACT that I am wrong (admins, mods, employees and anyone else who knows for a FACT) please correct me -

This issue has NOT been able to be tracked to a single cause, and some people with the issue have been unwilling to do necessary testing in order to help the development team figure out what is going on. Without knowing the actual CAUSE its hard to actually FIX the problem. More needs to be known and discovered about WHAT is causing the issue and WHY, and then a fix can be worked on...

If YOU are having this issue, you should do any testing a staff member asks of you to help pinpoint the cause(s).

Does this make sense?

That being said - please be patient, please guys no need for name calling and typing in many caps letters.

If you are unsatisified and want a refund, ask for one: support@malwarebytes.org

Edit: PLEASE use the ADD REPLY button and address whomever you are speaking to, this makes the forum so much easier to read, thanks!

@mountaintree16-

Correct. It seems happen on some computers(namely x64)for unknown reasons. Sadly as it seems, we need more people with the problem to actually find a solution. Since very rarely out of the majority of the people who use the ip blocker don't have problems, it's quite complicated to find a solution. If anyone else has this problem then speak up. Then we may find a solution. The more people the better.

Buttons,

Mind taking the quotage out?

Yes, there needs to be more people who have this issue to speak up AND willing to work with the developors to do some testing in order to try and pinpoint what is causing the issue so a resolution can be worked on.

Certainly you guys can't seriously think that Malwarebytes doesn't care! They are more than willing to walk users through testing, but as I said, some, perhaps many, have been unwilling to do necessary testing.

Buttons,

Mind taking the quotage out?

Yes, there needs to be more people who have this issue to speak up AND willing to work with the developors to do some testing in order to try and pinpoint what is causing the issue so an resolution can be worked on.

Certainly you guys can't seriously think that Malwarebytes doesn't care! They are more than willing to walk users through testing, but as I said, some, perhaps many, have been unwilling to do necessary testing.

To All Staff,

I think IP Protection is a valuable tool, and would like to use, provided it doesnt cause a huge reduction in download speed. Also, as more newer computers are being purchased, with larger RAM, x32 is not the choice of the day, but x64 will be. So, if this problem is seen more times with an x64 machine, then its really time to address soon.

I am willing to do WHATEVER testing your group needs to do, to help figure out what's causing my problem. Just tell me how I can help YOU?

Ray,

I'm glad that you're willing :) I am not a staff member but I am sure a staff member will see this thread shortly and walk you through any testing that she or he has for you.

Thanks much Chimpy :)

I did one test with IP blocking on and one without.

My (download) speed was actually slightly FASTER with IP blocking off for some reason.

1.59 MB with it on, 1.63 MB with it off.

I dont have a 64 bit system though.

I'll try more tests over the next couple of days to compare.

My results....

With IP Protection ON:

5.81 Mbps down

.75 Mbps up

With IP Protection OFF:

5.82 Mbps down

0.75 Mbps up

No problems at my end on both systems.

I will not be asking for a refund nor getting 100Mbs nor 10Mbs download soon.

Buttons, if you take the time to read the post I made yesterday all will be revealed, from the beginning to the end, the UK BB fiber supplier ISP Virgin Media I know will certainly be interested in this issue. And I have never been anything other than calm, so don't try the Psycobabble on me. If Malwarebytes choose to see this as a none important issue that is their businesses. I have simply put the truth down in a calm & logical manner. I do find replies on this forum to be often abrupt, and bordering on rude & certainly not in a manner that one would put things in a face to face meeting. :)

Input Overload as there are many nationalities and use many different languages and what appears rude :) and calm :) to you may appear exactly the oppsite to somone else. :)

Each country has its own culture and style and even varies from city to city within the country. :)

YoKenny1, do you think i am some kind of fool? I have visited & lived in countries all over the globe with my work & for enjoyment. In your post you are inferring I am some kind of cretin who has just acquired internet access yesterday. Just because I have only posted a few times on this forum does not mean I am not a regular poster/moderator on other forums with very cosmopolitan member lists. I have been on the net since just about day one. I yet have to see which post(s) you found or anyone else for that matter found offensive - Please point them/it out to me.

The post by you to which I am replying regarding myself is demeaning & you have made assumptions about me without knowing anything about me whatsoever. Some forums I post on would not put up with some of the replies by 'Malwarebytes Helpers' give & would be barred after a warning.

This is the worst forum regarding technical issues for rudeness & demeaning posts by people who ought to know better I have ever joined. I am a

YoKenny1, do you think i am some kind of fool? I have visited & lived in countries all over the globe with my work & for enjoyment. In your post you are inferring I am some kind of cretin who has just acquired internet access yesterday. Just because I have only posted a few times on this forum does not mean I am not a regular poster/moderator on other forums with very cosmopolitan member lists. I have been on the net since just about day one. I yet have to see which post(s) you found or anyone else for that matter found offensive - Please point them/it out to me.

[...] Bun'cha of blah blah [...]

I forecast this issue regarding speed is not going away & Malwarebytes will have to take note & sort this issue shortly because as we say in the United Kingdom,

Its not with 64 bit OS systems as my Windows 7 system does not have a problem.

YOKENNY, not to be rude, but:

I have-

2 laptops XP 32

2 desktops XP 32

1 desktop Vista 64

1 laptop Windows 7 64.

NONE of my 32's have any problem, however both Vista 64 & Windows 7 64 have speed issues.

How many computers with various operating systems do you have at your fingertips to make the statement that you made?

With SIX COMPUTERS and THREE different operating systems, I THINK I am more than qualified to make a CONSUMER assessment that MY EXPERIENCE and WHAT I'M EXPERIENCING is leading me to comment that MY ISSUE seems to be only on......

64 bit OS!

YOKENNY, not to be rude, but: [...]

Ever notice that "but" is a qualifier that one is indeed going to do what one said "Not to be?"

Hmmmm... now that was really none of my business so I'll stay out of it, "but.. :unsure:

Com'on now.. SMILE.. and the world smiles with ya!

It'll be fixed.. eventually.. just not in THIS release. 'sides, MalwareBytes is a walk in the park compared to Norton or McAfee..

Shy

Can't we all just get along?? :lol: