Sound of Door Creaking Open

Thomas8

Periodically, maybe once or twice a week, I hear the sound of a door creaking open: then a few minutes later, I hear the sound of a (heavy wooden) door closing. Any ideas what this could be? Anything to worry about? Any way to stop it? Thanks,

:) ?

What, exactly, is this about?

:) ?

What, exactly, is this about?

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention, the sound I am hearing is on my computer, coming from the speakers. So, in the background, while I am doing whatever I am doing on my computer, the sound of a door opening, then a bit later closing, is heard. I did a search once and found a similar question but no definite answer. I thought maybe it was a sign of an 'invader' on my computer and so I thought I would join the Malwarebytes Forum to see if any experienced people could explain this sound.

Thanks for any information.

The sound is happening probably because it is notifing you of some program event.

Go to Control Panel

Find Sounds and Audio Devices

Click on the sounds tab.

under program events go through the sounds one at a time and find out which event that sound is assocaited with.

Well that was enlightening. I listened to each sound for each program event, but found no creaking door. My biggest concern is that it could be a playful vermin. I use Kaspersky as well as Malwarebytes, everyday (after updating them), and see no invaders.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for that tip on sounds.

It could be a joke program, which are harmless except for the annoyance factor. Do you have any instant messenger clients installed (ie AIM, Yahoo! IM, MSN, ICQ etc)? I would tend to agree that it sounds like a sound coming from an IM client that's running in the background. If it is, you should be able to turn the sound off in the IM client's settings.

Maybe it are your boxes that are catching sound from eg. your cellphone.

Pay attention, that, when you hear the sound, you did or did not hear something else right before it ?

Sometimes, when I receive a text message and my cellphone is close by my speakers, they pick it up.

Do you have Yahoo Messenger installed? As someone else has said that is the classic default noise it makes when someone comes online & then signs off. If you do have Yahoo IM installed and it's set to sign in automatically then it's quite possibly that you're hearing. I used to have Yahoo IM & that door noise and the female voice with the American accent announcing I have Yahoo mail used to make me jump out of my skin. :)

If you have AOL Instant Messenger it makes the sound of a door opening and closing when a contact log's off. I know for sure it does because I used it in the past.

Good call. I think I signed up for AOL Instant Messaging one time, but I never use it. Now that I know what the creaking door is, maybe I'll take a look at AIM next time I hear it. I notice my sister's name pop up in the AIM box now and then, so I must have put her on a buddy list.

Thanks for all of the replies and for putting my mind at ease. I am a little paranoid sometimes about viruses and thought maybe I was infected.