Ixquick web search

Amethyst

Thanks, guys!

Exile, I checked the link. Yikes! Ixquick was recommended as an alternative to google, with the idea that Ixquick doesn't save your IP and search history. I did one search with Ixquick just to try it out and wasn't that impressed with the results it came up with. Do I have anything to worry about, having used the site to do a search? I didn't download the browser plug in. (Something about having to install a browser plug in just didn't sit right with me, so I figured I should ask before I went ahead and did it.)

@ Amethyst

http://www.scroogle.org/scrapen8.html

Doesn't log IP addresses, etc... access logs are deleted within 48 hours, and is not a plugin or anything.. just a search site :)

Exile first told me about it and now I use it as my main search engine :)

Thanks, Mountaintree. I gave it a try, and it was pretty good for results. Oddly enough, though, scroogle doesn't show the WOT status with the links. I wonder why that is? I use Web of Trust with my Firefox browser and in IE as well (on the rare occasion when I actually use IE), and when I use google or Bing, WOT has a circle by each item in the results list. WOT also displays for links in Wikipedia and in my yahoo mail as well. I don't know why WOT shows up in some places and not in others. It does, however, display the rating of every page I actually go to if it has information on the page. And it blocks pages with poor ratings.

Scroogle looks like a good search engine, I've got that one saved. :)

You're welcome Amethyst

Ah. Maybe Scroogle isn't a supported search engine? Maybe it only supports certain search engines? Check the WOT homepage and see if it has a list of compatible search engines. If it doesn't list Scroogle, perhaps suggest it if there's a way to do that :)

I like it too :) It's my homepage on all three of my browsers now instead of Google :)

Oh, this is interesting. I use Firefox, and I checked to see if there was some way to add scroogle as a search engine. Turns out there's a Firefox Add-on for Scroogle. And there is also a Firefox Add on for Ixquick.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12506

You can see the link to the Ixquick add on on the right side of the page that I posted the link to. Still, considering the reservations posted here, I think I'll pass on that one.

As for WOT, the Scroogle page has good ratings there and good comments posted. I've just noticed that on some pages in general WOT's little rings will show up beside links, but on most pages they don't. I don't know if that's a thing with WOT or with the nature of the web page itself or how that works.

Wow...Google's got an add on the Super Bowl. (Hey, I'm only watching for the commercials, LOL!) OK, back to topic. :) :)

@ Amethyst

Oh, I didn't know there was a Scroogle add on. I'll check out that link later.

Of course I haven't checked it out yet, but, it seems kind of unnecessary, you can just go to the Scroogle webpage.

Yeah, I'd totally pass on Ixquick if I were you. You wanted it for its non-logging IP feature, correct? Scroogle does the same thing and isn't creepy :)

hehehe of course Google's advertising on there :) Are they advertising Chrome again? I've seen advertisements both on TV and online for Chrome. They're all like, its like getting a new computer without getting a new computer (since Chrome is oh so fast). heh.

hehehe I really liked the Sierra Mist Free ad on the Superbowl a couple years back... with Jim Gaffigan I think it was... it was so darn hilarious!!

I don't think the Scroogle add on is compatible with my version of Firefox. Ah, you're right though, there's really no need to make it an add on, and I'm probably better off not putting anymore add ons on the browser anyway.

GoDaddy.com has purchased a lot of adds tonight, too. I think Google was just advertising their search engine.

I don't follow American football (I'm Canadian, and we take the winter off for our football season!), but it's actually a pretty good game tonight.

Oh, the commercial with the babies is on right now. E-trade. Very cute.

And congrats to all you Saints fans out there. :)

Yeah. More add-ons can cause slowness and such, also more to keep track of to update :) heh. I only have the bare minimums; flash, reader, etc.. plus the default included ones, whatever those do, lol.

GoDaddy... heh. I see those on Comedy Central too.

I don't really watch Football either... I've watched it a little bit. The commercials are funny though. I think they're findable on YouTube afterwards and there's a MySpace page as well... hehe