Hard Drive History deletion

lazydave46

I understand that there are ways to permanently delete anything from your hard drive, and is it permanent? Any suggestions on what free downloads are out there? I do not want to try this myself. Is this the best way to go if you were going to give your computer to someone and did not want any expense?

Thanks ahead of time for anyone who can help!

Hi lazydave -

The best way to FULLY remove all history is with a very large hammer - If you ever watch those cop shows (or TV news) they will always take the computer hard drive and they can find stuff that was "erased" years ago - You can try KeyScrambler , but it will not erase your dark hidden secrets -

You can always use delete browsing history, CCleaner etc , but there always was a "footprint" left there -

HDDerase.exe is a DOS-based utility that securely erases "sanitizes" all data

on ATA hard disk drives in Intel architecture computers (PCs).

From Secure Erase FAQ section - Unless you knew of this then the old quote was standard practice -

There seems to be new tools now - I am sorry if I quoted the usual scriptures for the problem -

Thank You - :lol:

Hi LazyDave46 :lol:

You can use CCleaner and this should help clean you up :)

Are you worried about temp internet files or what's been on the computer in the past?

These directions were given to me by Exile360, one of our experts here:

Download CCleaner from here to clean temp files from your computer.

• Double click on the ccsetup file to start the installation of the program.
  • Select your language and click OK, then click Next.
  • Read the license agreement and click I Agree.
  • Click Next to use the default install location. Click Install then click Finish to complete installation.
  • Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
  • On the "Windows" tab, under "Internet Explorer," uncheck "Cookies" if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to reenter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit).
  • If you use either the Firefox or Mozilla browsers, the box to uncheck for "Cookies" is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
  • Click on the "Options" icon at the left side of the window, then click on "Advanced."
    deselect "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours."
  • Click on the "Cleaner" icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.
  • Caution: It is not recommended that you use the "Registry" feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal, which can cause issues with other programs.
  • After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

Also, for a more secure deletion, you can pick the Gutman pass or similar in the Advanced settings tab for a more secure deletion. (I can give you a screen shot later on if that would help if you're interested in using that setting if you can't figure it out).

Caution: Do NOT use the registry cleaner portion of CCleaner unless you know what you're doing.

Alternatively, do you have the installation disks? You could reformat & reinstall the computer (don't forget to download and install all security patches and updates if you do this) and that would take care of your concern as well.

When replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" button at the bottom of the page.

Thank you :)

A simple method for this:

1. log off your own account and re-log on as the Windows Administrator. Enabling this account will vary depending on what Window's OS you're using.

2. Navigate across to your own account and drill down to the local index dat-containing IE5 folders (the cookies, history and temp internet ones) and open them. Exact pathways vary according to what Window's OS you're using.

3. You can then delete the index dat files or indeed the entire folder(s) if you wish.

4. Removing temp files in Windows is trivial (unless of course you have nasty, stubborn malware executables lurking in there in which case you have an entirely different problem! :lol:)

I do this routinely two or three times a week and stopped Windows using the recycle bin ( the "recycler") so no nasty surprises there. Did that in GPE when I first installed Vista and XP Pro before that. You can also achieve the same effect with the recycle bin's right-click menu.

Job done.

Unless I'm reading this wrong he wants to CLEAR ALL files and data so that he can give the system to someone else. The above tool should be able to do the proper cleaning method

Now I have filed this tool so I have it - I always heard stories about EBay comps with bits of data left -

Regards and thanks for it - :lol: