Scan starts, then shows "Not responing"

I just downloaded the free version. Started scan, and after about 12 seconds it stops scanning. I did the control/alt/del/ and it shows the program is no longer responding. It has scanned for a maximum of up to 40 seconds without freezing, but that's as far as it has gone. I also have installed on the system, AVG Free, Microsoft Security Essetials. I also installed it on my wifes laptop, and it runs fine. She also has Microsoft Security Essetials or her computer, but no AVG. Could you please tell me how to get this to work? :D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome steveandbelinda -

First you may find some problem with using AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials on the one system - It would be better to remove the MSE or AVG for a while and see if that will help - That is one reason why your wife is not having the problems -

If you wish to check the copy of the program you downloaded you can follow the instructions below (but I believe the 2 A/V programs are the cause) -

Please try this on the computer that is having an issue.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. mbam-setup.exe

Thank You - :D

Welcome steveandbelinda -

First you may find some problem with using AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials on the one system - It would be better to remove the MSE or AVG for a while and see if that will help - That is one reason why your wife is not having the problems -

If you wish to check the copy of the program you downloaded you can follow the instructions below (but I believe the 2 A/V programs are the cause) -

Please try this on the computer that is having an issue.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. mbam-setup.exe

I have been using AVG for about 2 weeks with the Microsoft Security Essentials, and don't seem to be having any conflicts with either one of them. I just looked on the forum , and found a post on "Basic Procedures to Correct Freezing or Disappearing Program Issues with AVG Anti-Virus", and another one in the same post concerning entering excluded files in MSE.

Should I try the first procedure first, before deleting either software?

Hi Again -

You can try these options first if you wish - That may solve your problems - But I still think the fact of 2 A/V programs mixed with Malwarebytes can cause this - That is why only one computer is having these problems and not the other -

Well done for looking around the forum as many people will not even look and just demand an answer -

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=167851

This is the direct link to the AVG one and scroll down to the MSE which is next -

Hello steveandbelinda,

Added comments relatuing to having more than 1 antivirus:

Let me add some other notes to re-inforce what noknojon has mentioned.

Having more than one antivirus program installed and active is ill-advised and leads to conflicts.

It gives you less protection, not more.

While a knowledgable experienced user may install/setup multilpe AV apps, there must be one and only one actively monitoring AV at any one moment. Plus it is complicated to go about insuring only 1 AV is set to load with Windows.

I'd recommend you de-install AVG and retain MSE.

HTH

Hello steveandbelinda,

Added comments relatuing to having more than 1 antivirus:

Let me add some other notes to re-inforce what noknojon has mentioned.

Having more than one antivirus program installed and active is ill-advised and leads to conflicts.

It gives you less protection, not more.

While a knowledgable experienced user may install/setup multilpe AV apps, there must be one and only one actively monitoring AV at any one moment. Plus it is complicated to go about insuring only 1 AV is set to load with Windows.

I'd recommend you de-install AVG and retain MSE.

HTH

I just uninstalled AVG, and left MSE alone. I ran Malwarebytes again, and the same thing, stops responding after about 20 sec. And I don't want to uninstall MSE and find out it still won't run. At this point I'm lost.

Hi SteveandBelinda.

Try this:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=181018 (Post #9)

You probably need to add some exclusions :D Let us know if that solves your issue.

In the future, please use the "ADD REPLY" button at the bottom of the page.

Hi Again -

If you followed my post#2 above (in case you had a bad copy) then you can set your MSE to 'disable' (follow the instructions at the top of MSE to "disable" not remove) without any problems as you are not browsing and only running a scan at this time -

I must ask if you think that the computer in question may be infected in any way - Although I do not give this advice usually I would try SUPERAntispyware (not as good as Malwarebytes but a simpler system) for a scan and see if it picks up anything - It will run along side MBAM as a backup only -

PS - Please use ADD Reply Tab when responding -

EDIT - Thanks mountaintree16 we did that earlier in post #3 and #4 -

Nope that doen't work either. Did the thing in post #2. When I also go to Malwarebyes and to the protect tab, the only thing that I can do, (or is even offered), is to choose to buy the program or register it. No other choices to click. I have done everything to get this to work and still nothing. I tried everything in the post that refered to AVG and nothing, so I unistalled it, then tried the thing with add those files to MSE setting and all fails.

SteveandBelinda,

Is this a 32bit or a 64 bit version of Windows?

Also, did your AVG have the ID Protection component installed?

I have one more thing that should be done to completely rid your computer of AVG and might help.

SteveandBelinda,

If you don't know what the ID protection component is, you probably don't have it. The free AVG doesn't have it as far as I know. This is what it is, and it comes with the AVG Internet Security and maybe another product or two of AVG's and you can buy it separately too.

Please download AVG Removal Tool <<click there

After running the tool, please restart your computer, even if it doesn't ask you.

Info about it can be found here if you'd like to know exactly what it does:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

Then try a quick scan with Malwarebytes. And you did say you've added the exclusions into Microsoft Security Essentials for Malwarebytes, correct? :)

SteveandBelinda,

Darnit, I thought that AVG remnants might be the problem. (It's good that you removed them anyway though, that needed to be done anyway).

Do you have any reason to believe that you may have been recently infected by any chance?

Hi Again -

I was hoping not to ask you to do this but it seems there is a deeper problem involved here -

Please read and print out then follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance to clean your system when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post

Please use the Add Reply tab when responding -

EDIT - There seems to be a fault or infection hanging in there so I would ask you to get it checked out by the experts -

This may take a day or 3 as they are very busy so please be patient -

You're most welcome SteveandBelinda :)

Maybe you do have some lurking malware, maybe not.

If it turns out that you don't, would you be open to trying a different AntiVirus software?

Avira free is quite compatible with MBAM free, and I think that that would be a good choice for you.

Although most don't have issues with Mbam and MSE (especially after adding the exclusions), it's too bad that you are :D

If you want to switch, I would be more than happy to give you links in order to so do :)

Let me see if this next step works. According to the site I was sent to , it looks like you have to do all that stuff if you are having a problem with malware, not getting the software to run. Sounds like I'm setting and unchecking some things that are not default settings on the computer. Not sure I am comfortable doing all that. You can give me the link if you wish. I was not sure how thorough MSE is, but I have always heard good things about AVG. I used SpySweeper for 3 years with no problem, maybe go back to that. Any issues with that program?

I always used to use AVG too, until I came here :D

I haven't had any experience with SpySweeper, but its NOT an Anti-Virus...

You need an antivirus.

Are you having any trouble going to security websites?

Post in the Malware Removal Forum and if it turns out you're clean (it can't hurt), your helper might discover why the freezing issues occurred. It might also just be your particular setup on that computer. It's hard to say.

Hi Again -

Just do what you can and your expert will lead you through the other steps - Many people just look at it and go "What The" but if you do it slowly it is your best and quickest way to get it diagnosed and do only what you are comfortable with you will be OK -

Ignore my Icon - I just changed it -

Thank You - :lol:

By going through those steps, am I changing setting in the computer that will have to be changed back, or will they go back to default when rebooted? I just don't want to do something that is going to change the current running condition of the computer, and possibly change something that is going to cause the computer to start locking up or acting funny, and then have to take to someone to fix was has been screwed up.

There is nothing that will in any way harm your system - All these tools are basic and will help , not harm any computer -

The instructions were written by a panel of experts so that any system will benifit from these basic steps - If an expert asks you to use any tool they will show you how to remove it and have your system back better than it ever was -

Thank You :lol: