Scan starts, then shows "Not responing"

Did as you said. Clicked on file I had put on desktop, and said "Print Spooler service stopped successfully. Then MWB started to scan on it's own. Did not even click on MWB icon. Ran through the scan without any hesitation. I closed MWB when finished scanning, and the phrase " Print Spool Started" came up in the same box that showed that it successfully had stopped.

Can I not just somehow take the printer out of startup when computer starts, or is that another issue? And if so, would printer print when I wanted it to.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for testing that. Please now restart your computer and don't run the file I had you create, instead start Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and try another Quick Scan without killing the spoolsv.exe process.

Please let me know the results and I'll get back to you regarding your above questions after that.

Alright, thank you for the confirmation. For the time being you can use the following batch file and run it each time you are going to do a scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It will temporarily disable the Spooler service, start MBAM so that you can scan with it, and then once Malwarbytes' Anti-Malware is closed, it will start the Spooler service once more so that you can use your printer:

• Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    net stop "spooler"
    "%programfiles%\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe"
    net start "spooler"

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Malwarebytes' Scan.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.

Also, to try and affect a more permanent solution, please give me the model number of your printer and I'll find the latest drivers and post instructions for you to update your drivers to see if an update fixes the issue.

• Root Admin

Hi Steve,

Please copy/paste to run the following and post back the results about the print spooler.

CMD /K sc qc spooler

For your printer I was able to locate this driver: Epson Support?

Direct download link from Epson of the latest driver listed for XP x86 (note you may already be using this driver)

ftp://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson11315.exe

Printer Driver v5.5bAs

Windows XP, Windows 2000

epson11315.exe - 7.7MB - posted on 01/19/05

This self-extracting file contains the Epson Stylus Photo R300 Printer Driver for Windows 2000 (Printer Driver v5.5bAs, Core Driver Disk v5.51). The Epson Status Monitor 3, with improved ink monitoring, is incorporated into this driver. This file self-extracts to your hard drive and is placed in c:\EPSON\epson11315.

Note: Before installing this driver, please remove prior versions of this driver via Windows Add/Remove Programs.

epson_stylus_photo_r300-400-400.jpg

The command put in "run", showed successful. Tried to go to control panel, printers, properties, , but error came up and said I could no check properties because print spooler was not running. I will restart and check driver version before downloading file you listed. The one listed shows that it is for windows 2000.

• Root Admin

Contents of the README for that file.

===============================================================================

README file for EPSON High Quality ESC/P 2 printer driver

for Microsoft ® Windows ® 2000/XP

Thank you for purchasing an EPSON printer. This document contains notes

regarding your new printer.

This README file has the following sections:

[Contents]

1. Introduction

2. Important legal information

3. Driver Installation Notes

4. Q & A

5. Known printer driver problems

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Introduction

Before calling technical support, be sure to read this README file

which includes solutions to printer driver and application-specific

problems.

2. Important legal information

Software called the EPSON High Quality ESC/P 2 driver for

Windows 2000/XP (the "Software") is provided "AS IS." NO IMPLIED

WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT ABILITY AND/OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR

PURPOSE ARE GIVEN.

The Software may be copied and distributed without charge only to

users of EPSON brand printers. All files on the disk must be copied

without modification, including all proprietary marks and notices.

All components of the Software must be distributed together.

The Software may not be distributed for profit.

Copyright © 2004 SEIKO EPSON Corporation

3. Driver Installation Notes

First time installation:

Insert the EPSON printer software CD in your CD-ROM drive. Click

the Start button and select RUN. Type in the appropriate driver

letter that identifies your CD ROM drive.

Click Browse and select the SETUP.EXE file and press Enter.

Select the EPSON printer driver then click OK.

Removing driver:

When you're reinstalling the printer driver or installing a printer

driver for a second port, make sure to do the following:

* Check that all print jobs have finished printing before you begin

installation.

* Close all applications

* Run the "EPSON Printer Utility Uninstall" program by the following steps:

- Click on "Start"

- Click on "Settings"

- Select "Control Panel"

- Double click the "Add/Remove Programs" icon

- Select the "EPSON Printer Software" from the list and click

"Change/Remove"

4. Q & A

Q: I can't seem to print correctly using the "Reduce/Enlarge" or "Print

Layout" options.

Why?

A: Try setting print properties from the application's Print dialog box

before printing;

or setting print properties from control panel, then restart your

application.

For example, to print from Microsoft Word 2000 do the following:

1) From the File menu, select Print.

2) Click Properties.

3) Select the Paper menu.

4) Set the desired paper size.

5) Select the Layout menu.

6) For Reduce/Enlarge setting, select Fit to Page, then select the

desired paper size. After clicking OK, the Properties dialog box

closes and the Print dialog box displays again.

7) Make any other selections in the Print dialog box, and click OK.

Q: The output on my paper never appears to the settings I use in my

application software.

A: Settings that are changed in the printer driver override the settings

made in your application software. For example, when the Print Quality

is set to Fine-720 dpi with Plain paper selected as the Media Type,

your documents are printed at Fine-720 dpi even though the resolution

in your application software is set to another resolution.

Q: After I changed print settings, the print output is not what I expected

Paragraph positioning is off, and text or graphics are missing.

Why?

A: This problem can occur when settings for Print Quality, Reduce/Enlarge,

or Print Layout have changed since the document was created.

Try adjusting margins and font sizes. When you change the printing size

by the Reduce/Enlarge printing item, sometimes the edges of your

document are not printed.

Make sure to place enough spaces to the edges of your document when

you use theReduce/Enlarge printing.

5. Known printer driver problems

There are no known bugs within the printer driver itself.

For the latest information regarding your EPSON printers, visit the EPSON Web

Site at http://www.epson.com. Go to the Epson Connection page and select FAQs,

Inkjet Printers.

Microsoft is a registered trademark and Windows is a trademark of Microsoft

Corporation in the United States and other countries. Product and Company

names listed in this document are registered trademarks of said Company.

Hello again B)

Please uninstall the software you just installed and any other Epson software that is installed on this PC as well as any other PC's as you should update them all at once since you're using it wirelessly (I assume shared via your wireless network). After that, please post an Autoruns log so I can make sure it's all gone, then I'll post a link to the appropriate drivers and software for your printer.

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Also, please let me know if you have the R300 or the R300M (the R300M has a small color LCD screen on the right hand side, the R300 does not).

Thanks B)

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and right-click on each of the following and select Delete:

Under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:

• \\VIDEO\EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe
    • Auto Auto Auto Auto EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series on STEVE on BELINDA on STEVE on VIDEO EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe
    • Auto Auto Auto EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series on VIDEO on STEVE on VIDEO EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe
    • Auto Auto EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series on STEVE on BELINDA EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe
    • Auto Auto EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series on STEVE on VIDEO EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe
    • Auto EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series on VIDEO EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe
    • EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe

Under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:

• \\VIDEO\EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe
    • Auto EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series on VIDEO EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe
    • EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Next, go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers and delete e_s4i2f1.exe

After that, please download and install the latest software for your printer from here, rebooting if asked to do so.

Once that's done, try printing to see if your printer now works then try scanning with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again and let me know if it still freezes or not and do the following:

Delete the attachment of the previous Autoruns.zip file you uploaded by clicking My Controls at the top of the forum page and then clicking Manage Your Attachments on the left.

Then delete the Autoruns.arn and Autoruns.zip files from your desktop and run Autoruns again:

• Double click Autoruns.exe
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks B)

Is your printer directly connected via a cable (such as USB, Ethernet etc) to another computer or router or is it just wireless?

Either way, what you'll need to do most likely is add the printer through the Control Panel:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Click on Printers and Other Hardware Note: If you do not see Printers and Other Hardware then click on Switch to Category View on the left pane
  • Click on Add a Printer
  • Click the Next button
  • Select A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer
  • Click the Next button
  • Select Browse for a Printer
  • Your Epson printer should be shown in the list, click on it to select it and click Next
  • Follow the onscreen prompts to add the printer

Once that's complete, try printing a document or test page to make sure that it's working.

For the time being you'll need to use the batch file I had you create previously in order to scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Your driver installation now appears to be correct and removing the redundant entries for the driver's startup did not correct the issue in your case as it did with the others. We'll try to look into this further and see what we can figure out.

Thank you so much for your patience and willingness to assist us in troubleshooting this issue.

Please let me know if you have any issues printing or setting up your printer.

Thanks B)

Good B)

I'm assuming that Malwarebytes' scans are still freezing though, correct? I believe I can fix both, but unfortunately it requires that you remove your printer drivers again :huh:. If you wish to proceed then do the following:

• Please download MicrosoftFixit50126 from here and save it to your desktop but do not run it yet
  • Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall your EPSON Drivers
  • Restart your computer
  • Double-click on MicrosoftFixit50126.msi to run the tool
  • Check the box next to I Agree and click Next
  • Check the box next to Reset print spooler to defaults
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process and reboot if prompted to do so

Delete the attachment of the previous Autoruns.zip file you uploaded by clicking My Controls at the top of the forum page and then clicking Manage Your Attachments on the left.

Then delete the Autoruns.arn and Autoruns.zip files from your desktop and run Autoruns again:

Don't worry, we are going to reinstall your printer drivers and you will be able to print again, I just need to make sure that they are completely removed before we do :).

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and right-click the following of the following and select Delete:

• \\VIDEO\EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2F1.EXE /P38 "\VIDEO\EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus Photo R300"
    • EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series (Copy 1) File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2F1.EXE /P39 "EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series (Copy 1)" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus Photo R300"

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

[*]Then create another Autoruns log and zip and attach it so I may check and make sure nothing was missed

Hi there -

So I'm still following this thread, since I was involved and curious as to your outcome.

I'm very happy that my issue is resolved.

Did you do a successful scan just regular, or running that batch file script first that you were given?

If it just ran fine without the script, you are surely a good sport to disable your printer again !!!

-K

I did run a scan this morninng out of curiosity, and it DID run all the way through, with no problem, but I will do what you just asked me to do. Maybe getting onto something here.

Hi kalimba -

There has been one or two other cases similar in the past few years that usually relate to older installed printers and printer drivers that have needed removing then updating - The last similar one was about 9 months ago from memory -

Regards - :P

EDIT - Hi steveandbelinda - I have still been following your progress since we started - :lol:

Thanks. Yes I ran a "quick scan" this morning, the normal way, not with the batch file. BUT, I don't have the printer software re-installed either, so I am not ready to jump the gun yet and say that it is fine. I haven't heard back yet from Exile360, so don't want to reload the software that he just had me load yesterday, till I hear back.

We've almost got this fixed :P. I just needed to verify that after removal, no run entries were left behind.

Download your drivers again from here if you don't still have the installer for them that I had you download previously and install it. After that, restart your computer and proceed with the next steps.

Once that's done, please do the following:

Also let me know if you can now scan with MBAM or if it still freezes.