Unable to Update - Error Code 732 (0, 0)

I downloaded the free version of malwarebytes (version 1.44, 1/7/2010) today. When I did an update, I got error code 732 (0, 0). I followed steps 1 - 3 from a forum post (http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=37120), but the problem persists. My computer has Windows SP SP3, IE8, and Trend Micro Internet Security 2010. Any suggestions on what to do next would be appreciated.

:) Hi vostro -

As noted in the article linked below , please exclude Malwarebytes from the Trend Micro A/V program -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=162099

It is a simple step that should only take a min or so - Trend is noticing that a new program is accessing your system and just needs to be told it is OK -

The article is shown in picture form to make it very easy -

Thank You - :)

EDIT - I also use XP SP3 and find with some A/V programs that this is required - :)

Hello vostro1400, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

Try the following, and see if it works for you (I believe its updated from the one that you tried in the other thread).

And please, use the ADD REPLY button at the bottom of the page when replying.

Thank you :)

Please do the following to see if it corrects it:

(from Expert Exile360)

Step 1: Verify Internet Connectivity of Internet Explorer:

• Click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run box copy and paste the text in the following code box exactly as written and press Enter or click on OK:
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

• Try updating again and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 2

Step 2: Exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's Files and Folders From Other Active Security Programs:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Now try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware once more and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 3

Step 3: Verify Your Internet Connection Settings:

• Open Internet Explorer
    • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser

[*]Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options

• Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up

[*]Click on the Connections tab

[*]Click on the LAN settings button

[*]Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it

[*]Under Proxy server make sure that the box next to Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections). is not checked and if it is, click the box next to it to uncheck it

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window

[*]Try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to see if it now works correctly

If you did exclude the items from Trend Micro A/V , then your next step is in the link below - Un/re install the program please -

You can disable your anti virus for a short time and follow the post bellow by AdvancedSetup -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=187827

Then follow this link to ensure your I.E. is fully on line (Only use Internet Explorer for this)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=162097

Thank You - B)

Or see the post by mountaintree16 -

Noknojon - I did exclude the items from TM A/V and took the additional steps provided in your links. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the error code.

Mountaintree16 - I'm not sure. Would appreciate any advice on how to follow-up on this.

Noknojon and Mountaintree16 - Below is a more complete history of what steps I've taken to try to resolve the problem before posting my initial request for help. I'm not sure if it (or I) have been a help or hinderance WRT the problem. My subscription to TM will expire in a couple of months. I'm ok with replacing TM with a different AV program, but I'd really like to keep MB. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Background

I originally purchased my laptop computer back in 6/2008. The AV program added was Trend Micro Internet Security 2008. After reading up on security in the Dell forums, I added Malwarebytes (free version) and SuperAntiSpyware (free version). MB and SAS are manually updated once a week and a quick scan is run (all on Thursday), followed by a full scan with TM (on Friday or Saturday). I updated to TM IS 2009 when it became available. The last weekly problem free update and scan was done on 1/14/2010 (MB and SAS) and 1/15/2010 or 1/16/2010 . Internet connection is via a broadband card.

When I manually updated MB on 1/21/2010, I got the error code. However, I was able to update SAS. I then tried to update TM, I got a message "Unable to update your protection. Make sure your internet connection works and check your proxy settings before trying again." This happened at night so I left it until the next day.

The next day, I Googled "Error Code 732 (0, 0)" and found the Malwarebytes forum (yeah!). I followed Steps 1 - 3 as previously discussed (and even Section D - common issues, questions, and their solutions), but no luck. I uninstalled/reintalled MB (uninstalled via control panel, did a restart, ran the clean-up exe, and downloaded MB from CNET) and ran a quick scan --- no threats; but still unable to update. I tried to do the MB update with the TM firewall temporarily turned off, no luck. I ran a full scan using MB, SAS, and TM --- no threats found. I also ran TM Housecall --- no threats found. I tried to run some TM solutions (EN-1054013, EN-1054011, and EN-1036165) to fix the update problem in TM (in case there was a conflict between TM and MB), no luck. Since I'd been at it for 3-4 hrs and it was past midnight, I called it a day.

Today, I upgraded from IE 7 to IE 8; doblechecked the connections and lan tabs to make sure the proper boxes were checked/not checked; and tried to update MB, no luck. Uninstalled MB (per previous paragraph) and SAS (using their assistant) and upgraded from TM IS 2009 to TM IS 2010 (one of the TM solutions said this might fix the problem --- it didn't). I reinstalled MB, quick scan is fine, but update won't work. Reinstalled SAS, update works (I plan to keep it on my computer). Tried to update TM, no luck.

Tomorrow, I was planning to unintall TM, uninstall/reintall MB, doublecheck IE 8 connection/lan tab and test to see if I could do a MB update --- this is to check if TM is conflicting with MB. If that didnt' work, I was going to do a system restore prior to 1/14/2010 and see if I could update MB. But before doing all that, I decided to post a note to this forum to get some help to make sure I was doing things right and in the correct order. After posting my note, I saw another note where someone was able to resolve their error code by resetting IE 8 (tools - internet options - advance - reset). I tried it, doubleedcheck the connection/lan tab boxes to make sure the proper boxes were checked/not checked, but still no luck.

Noknojon and Mountaintree16 - Tomorrow, I plan to go over your posts and redo your suggestions step-by-step, one last time. I've been at it for >4 hrs today and it's 10 pm; time to call it a day. Thanks again for your help.

And to think I was going to get a H1N1 flu shot on Friday and do my taxes this weekend. B)

Thanks for the detailed reply, vostro1400 B)

Sounds like you've been trying a lot.

Well, don't uninstall TM just yet... you don't want to be online w/o an AV.

Did you add any exclusions to TM yet for Malwarebytes? See if this helps: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=162099

Prior to Mbam not updating... have you had any weird things going on with your computer, or weird things while online?

Many many thanks mountaintree16 for your suggestions -- and fix! Have been banging my head against the wall after removing a trogan dropper 3 days ago. Nothing would update after fix. Step 3 of your suggestions worked -- LAN settings had been changed.

Will now re-install second and preferred browser and see if all is still well.

Thank you again.

Charles7

You're welcome Charles7, I'm glad that that was able solve your updating problem B)

However, next time you see Exile360 on the board here, you might want to give him a thanks, he wrote the fix that I posted in this post here http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=188337 :)

Any signs of infection still?

Good luck!

Hello

I just wanted to say I've the same problem, 732 error on trying to update. Unlike the others though I've been using malwarebytes for at least 2 years now and never had a problem until today. I also don't believe I'm infected, I just do a scan with MB and superantispyware every weekend. I do not have trendmicro, rather I use Avast antivirus. Nothing is blocking malwarebytes, nor are any IE settings different nor have I done anything different. MB simply isn't updating.

I noticed it tries to connect to this url: http://mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org/news/news.txt

Trying to connect to that in my browser gives me nothing but a blank page. Is it possible your server is down?

sp

I'm also having the same problem, been using MBAM for over a year. I use the Windows Firewall (Vista Ultimate 32bit) and Avira AntiVir.

Never had problems before, I think I updated fine just a couple days ago. Now I'm getting that Error Code 732 (0,0).

I've checked my IE settings they're all fine.

I've tried turning off the Firewall and updating, doesn't help.

I even briefly turned off my AntiVir, doesn't help.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling MBAM, doesn't help.

@sameproblem I also get a blank page when I visit that URL (on all my browsers - not just IE8)

I'm also having the same problem, been using MBAM for over a year. I use the Windows Firewall (Vista Ultimate 32bit) and Avira AntiVir.

Never had problems before, I think I updated fine just a couple days ago. Now I'm getting that Error Code 732 (0,0).

I've checked my IE settings they're all fine.

I've tried turning off the Firewall and updating, doesn't help.

I even briefly turned off my AntiVir, doesn't help.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling MBAM, doesn't help.

@sameproblem I also get a blank page when I visit that URL (on all my browsers - not just IE8)

I everybody,

I am a new member here and got the same problem.I use Vista ultimat(32bites) and Antivir

I am using MBAM free

Waiting for any suggestion

Have a great day

Claire

Have the same problem - error code 732 ( 0,0 )

This is the fourt or fifth time I have this problem during the last month or so.

This time it didn,t help to delete the program and install the program again.

I don,t think I would recommend this program to people with ordinary computer skills.

Have the same problem - error code 732 ( 0,0 )

This is the fourt or fifth time I have this problem during the last month or so.

This time it didn,t help to delete the program and install the program again.

I don,t think I would recommend this program to people with ordinary computer skills.

It has already been explained this issue on the other thread, if you try again later you should be able to download o.k. Pity did not seek advice before uninstalling and re-installing, as you would have found out that this is only a temporary problem. Always get advice before jumping the gun.