618K Memory used as Process...

@ Excile

I tried your fix. I thought I was not affected by this problem at first, but today I checked and on one computer my mbamservice.exe service was up to 667,380K, it steadily grows by about 4,000 every 10 seconds.

On the other computer it is currently at 248,968K, although that one does not seem to be growing at the moment.

Correction EDIT:

The second one was doing a scheduled scan, came up clean, and now that the scan is over it too is growing by 4K every 10 seconds....

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, the memory climbs when IP protection is disabled as well as protection itself disabled.

I clocked it from 12:48 CST to 2:17 CST, the memory went from 155M to 162M.

I'd be willing to create some debug info for ya, will PM ya.

The memory climbs just when Realtime Protection Module is actived. When it deactived the consumption stops and stablizes.

The memory climbs just when Realtime Protection Module is actived. When it deactived the consumption stops and stablizes.

Not for me, memory climbs when both are disabled. As I posted in my last message memory was at 162M when both were disabled. I just checked my computer (it's at home) remotely and memory is up to 167M now. Both protections are still disabled and there were no updates or scans taking place nor any activity on the computer.

I actually wasn't aware this was going on until I came across this thread. Checked both my computers with the real time version, and sure enough, I can sit here and watch those #'s go up. My desktop was up to 80,000+ and climbing. I rebooted and now it's at 44,000+ and climbing by 4's. Laptop, brought 'er out of standby and now is creeping up as well.

Is there any point in going through the whole clean uninstall/reinstall thing if that isn't working for anyone anyway?

Desktop:

Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2

AVG Free 8.5, with all the suggested files added to the exclusions list

Windows Firewall (behind a router's firewall)

Laptop:

Windows XP Pro SP2

MSE, with all suggested files added to exclusions list

Outpost Free firewall

The memory creep is just happening, regardless of what the computer is doing. If the computer is awake, the memory usage is going up.

Disabling real time protection and IP protection on both systems is ineffective. I guess if the systems get bogged down, I'll just reboot as needed until this gets fixed. Actually, though, I wasn't aware of this going on until I saw this thread and decided to check my own computers, so it wasn't causing any noticeable issues for me, but then I shut things down overnight every night and the laptop is always closed when it's not in use.

Any other info needed, developers can contact me. :welcome:

BTW, never had this happen with 1.42. Memory was in the 45,000 range average on both systems. 1.43 was installed over 1.42 on both systems. Using IE8 on both systems, although I don't browse with it.

Hey, Mastershake, since you're not having problems, can you provide some info like I did--OS, other security software and so forth. It might help the developers pinpoint what the problem might be.

Edited to add: Just updated the database on both systems and the progressive creep appears to have stopped. There was some increase on the desktop when I opened up the browser, but I would expect that. Right now it is holding steady, even when I open another tab in Opera. Just opened Outlook Express on the desktop, memory jumped up, then went right back down to what it had been before I opened OE.

The database is at 3494. Memory usage holding at 52,176 for the desktop and 58,572-6 for the laptop. (It's fluctuating a bit there.) It looks like running the update did something. I update manually.

I actually wasn't aware this was going on until I came across this thread. Checked both my computers with the real time version, and sure enough, I can sit here and watch those #'s go up. My desktop was up to 80,000+ and climbing. I rebooted and now it's at 44,000+ and climbing by 4's. Laptop, brought 'er out of standby and now is creeping up as well.

Is there any point in going through the whole clean uninstall/reinstall thing if that isn't working for anyone anyway?

Desktop:

Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2

AVG Free 8.5, with all the suggested files added to the exclusions list

Windows Firewall (behind a router's firewall)

Laptop:

Windows XP Pro SP2

MSE, with all suggested files added to exclusions list

Outpost Free firewall

The memory creep is just happening, regardless of what the computer is doing. If the computer is awake, the memory usage is going up.

Disabling real time protection and IP protection on both systems is ineffective. I guess if the systems get bogged down, I'll just reboot as needed until this gets fixed. Actually, though, I wasn't aware of this going on until I saw this thread and decided to check my own computers, so it wasn't causing any noticeable issues for me, but then I shut things down overnight every night and the laptop is always closed when it's not in use.

Any other info needed, developers can contact me. :welcome:

BTW, never had this happen with 1.42. Memory was in the 45,000 range average on both systems. 1.43 was installed over 1.42 on both systems. Using IE8 on both systems, although I don't browse with it.

Hey, Mastershake, since you're not having problems, can you provide some info like I did--OS, other security software and so forth. It might help the developers pinpoint what the problem might be.

Here is Windows XP Professional SP3 with Avira Premium Security Suite 9

Perhaps 64bits SO

I am seeing this on two computers like stated earlier, I tried the procedures as stated by exile...

I just updated to Database version: 3494 and it seems to have stableized at the moment at 53,676K on one computer and 53,808 on the second one, I will let you know if it creeps up again in the next few hours.

Yeah.. I've had to fully disable everything with the app for now until this problem is resolved.

Yeap..me too. I restarted my pc again and not actived the realtime protection module.

mbamservice.exe without this service is stable and it

• Staff

All users please post any data you have to this thread. The research team is already monitoring this thread and they will get the info faster if it's posted here.

These attachments are about mbamservice.exe. Some infos about handles, consumption and others.

Look that steady increase of 4K

The screenshots with final 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 was printed after simulate database update 10 times.

Steps from Swandog46.

I hope that can be somehow useful.

Marco

MBAM_Screenshots.rar

post-28798-1262677802_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677812_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677820_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677830_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677837_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677849_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677856_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677863_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677872_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677880_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677889_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677899_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677908_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677916_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677924_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677935_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677960_thumb.jpg

post-28798-1262677973_thumb.jpg

I'm noticing that the memory increase stabilizes for about 52 to 54 minutes after Swandog64's update file is run, and then the memory creep starts again. Today, however, I am seeing increases by leaps of 32 to 36 k each minute, rather than the 4 k every few seconds. That's on both systems. I had noticed yesterday that things would be fine for about an hour after an update.

I suppose I could just click on thSwandog64's file just to keep things manageable for now. With the 3 near misses we've had here with drive-by's, I don't want to be without MWB in real time.

I'm going to start the testing now, but I'm curious why we're testing the update process only when my install is set to update at 1:00 AM and I have turned off automatic updates - and with all that turned off the memory rises anyways.

Seems to me the memory increases are related to something other than the update procedure, but again I'm speculating without knowing if there's something else going on behind the scenes.