Is It Safe to Install Mozilla Firefox if I have AOL and Internet Explorer?

deebeee

Okay so I am writing to you from Orca right now, and I like it so far.

My firewall prompts to let me allow it though when opening and then a couple times after its open. Which was kinda weird.

Then I couldn't find file, bookmarks, etc.. but now I've found them :lol: Then I accidentally full screened it and couldn't get it back to normal, but it seems fine now. And it seems to have imported the few favorites I had on IE.

I'm going to continue playing around with it, and I assume I should go here with any questions:

www.orcabrowser.com/support.php

I'm not sure what online storage is though, and I guess an ordinary site (unlocked padlock) means that it is not a https site?

Unlocked padlock means it's not an https site, yep ;)

As for support, you can get such, at the Avant/Orca forums;

http://forum.avantbrowser.com

:lol:

The firewall issue you mentioned, is due to it's checking for updates. This can be disabled via Tools > Orca Browser Options > Miscellaneous :o

Okay, thanks :lol:

I see that you are an Avant Admin there ;)

Ah, okay. I am pretty good about manually checking for updates, although I do have auto-update checker enabled in Firefox, and I never get a firewall prompt from that.

It happened when I was enlarging a screen shot from GT500 and also when opening it at first and a couple times when viewing the congratulations page.

Then its happened when I clicked on the wiki page link that was given in the forum or on the support page, I can't remember exactly which. And now it happened when I went to a new tab and opened Google.

I think I'll disable auto-update checker then if that is the reason for the firewall prompts, as it is kinda annoying :o

Edit: Do I uncheck "automatically install hotfixes"? I can't figure how how to disable the auto-update, unless that is it.

It's also the first browser that I've seen that shows in the taskbar, but I've already figured out how to disable that if I want to :)

With the Flash blocker, does that just block Flash ads, not actual Flash content on websites? I guess the only way to find out is to check, hehe, but I thought it would be worth it to ask.

I've enabled the adblocker, although I am currently using a HOSTS file that blocks many ads already :o

This browser is very different from IE and Firefox (and similar to them in other ways, mostly to Firefox :)) but I will get used to it I am sure. I'll still use Firefox for some things, but I think it'll be about 50/50 between Firefox and Orca.

All in all, very cool browser! :o

Okay, thanks :lol:

I see that you are an Avant Admin there ;)

I am :), I'm also the server administrator (one of them)

I think I'll disable auto-update checker then if that is the reason for the firewall prompts, as it is kinda annoying :o

Edit: Do I uncheck "automatically install hotfixes"? I can't figure how how to disable the auto-update, unless that is it.

You do, yes :), you also need to uncheck "Automatically check for new versions"

With the Flash blocker, does that just block Flash ads, not actual Flash content on websites? I guess the only way to find out is to check, hehe, but I thought it would be worth it to ask.

It blocks ALL flash content :o (tis one of my favourite features, hehe)

This browser is very different from IE and Firefox (and similar to them in other ways, mostly to Firefox :)) but I will get used to it I am sure. I'll still use Firefox for some things, but I think it'll be about 50/50 between Firefox and Orca.

All in all, very cool browser! :o

hehe glad you like it :)

I am :lol:, I'm also the server administrator (one of them)

Nice! ;)

You do, yes :o, you also need to uncheck "Automatically check for new versions"

Thanks :) Seems as though I get this prompt when opening a new page that Orca hasn't seen yet. I went to www.yahoo.com and got a firewall prompt.

This is normal behavior, as far as you know?

So to check for updates/hotfixes I just go to Help > Check for new version, correct? And this will check for any updates/hotfixes? :o

It blocks ALL flash content :o (tis one of my favourite features, hehe)

Nice :) And its easily disabled (the flash blocking) if I need it, I see :)

hehe glad you like it :)

Me too :) I told you I'd try it - I just had to wait until I had some time to actually play with it... and sometimes it takes a while for me to get some time, hehe.

Thanks :lol: Seems as though I get this prompt when opening a new page that Orca hasn't seen yet. I went to www.yahoo.com and got a firewall prompt.

This is normal behavior, as far as you know?

It shouldn't be coming up all of the time, but it's normal otherwise, yes (it's likely the firewall interpreting Orca's command line for launching a new tab, as a new process instead of it's being part of the existing process)

So to check for updates/hotfixes I just go to Help > Check for new version, correct? And this will check for any updates/hotfixes? ;)

That's correct, yes :o

It shouldn't be coming up all of the time, but it's normal otherwise, yes (it's likely the firewall interpreting Orca's command line for launching a new tab, as a new process instead of it's being part of the existing process

Hmm, well, the firewall prompt didn't happen with Yahoo.com this time, but I did see the adblocker in action ;) (I set it to alert me when it blocks, and it's just a small little alert in the bottom right corner, not very invasive at all).

I just opened some new tabs and the prompt didn't come up, it just showed the homepage I have set (the OrcaBrowser home).

That's correct, yes :lol:

Good to know :o

Should the default settings be sufficient for security, etc? There are some other questions I had for you perhaps, but I'll ask you another day, as I am *hoping* to go to sleep soon :o

There just seems to be a LOT of options and settings to check/uncheck and it looks a bit overwhelming and I just want to make sure that everything is okay and make sure that there isn't anything that I am missing as far as settings and making them be as good as possible go.

I am using Firefox currently, as I am quite used to it and am kinda tired, but I'll keep using Orca when I am on my computer and see how I like it as time goes on :o

I think its so cool that you can disable a variety of things very easily (and un-disable them, er if that's even a word LOL easily as well).

Anyway, my brain is slowly starting to not function fully as I am getting rather tired, so its time for sleep soon ;)

@ moumtaintree16 -

I have 3 at this time and I keep changing , but I always use I . E . as default browser -

Back to 2 now I E 7 and Safari - I think exile360 still runs I E 7 also - Updated to I E 8 but did not like something about it - Can not tell exactly what I did not like about it (AdvancedSetup told me to go I E 8) -