Is It Safe to Install Mozilla Firefox if I have AOL and Internet Explorer?

deebeee

Well, theoretically, installing another web browser should not screw up your computer. But, if you have a malware problem or something, it could be a different story. I actually have four different browsers on my computer (IE, Firefox, Safari and Opera) and they all work fine. I actually like Opera quite a lot.

If you uninstall Internet Explorer it makes it a bit trickier to use the Microsoft Update site. Personally, I would leave it on your computer and use another browser for general surfing.

Deebee - please keep Internet Explorer - its a good way to manually check for automatic updates for your computer if you ever need to, at least on XP and lower operating systems. I had to use it the other day to manually check for this month's Patch Tuesday updates, because for some reason my auto-updater wasn't working :)

I never use IE except to manually check for updates, or if a site I am using doesn't work well in Firefox.

MysteryFCM - thanks for those links, I was going to make a post soon about what the official web addresses are for alternate browsers :)

(Didn't want to risk a fake result searching myself :D)

I might try one out myself, but I don't think I'll be able to get the other half to change over from FF anytime soon, but I can try it out at any rate :D

I also like the sounds of Orcabrowser because it is similar and based off the same/similar code as Firefox, if I am understanding correctly :) Ooh, I see that it will block ads and flash and the like on its own, without need for additional add-ons :) I just might download it and try it out tomorrow!

Probably a stupid question, but will mbam/AV work in any browser really?

Question: If a site like Etsy says they "require" Firefox -- I have to use that particular browser don't I for them. Of course keeping IE and AOL.

Matts

I'm always on AOL -- is that what you mean re "the AOL platform"? Or other steps needed?

"Minimize AOL" -- duh, don't know what that means? ;)

mountaintree

I woudn't get rid of IE, just hate it. :D

Any site that demands you use a specific browser, should be avoided like the plague it is, as far as I'm concerned.

As for Firefox, it's always been a bloated, slow piece of rubbish in my experience, and is certainly no more secure than the alternatives (contrary to popular belief).

If you want to use etsyhacks on the Etsy site, you will need to use Firefox. This is because etsyhacks are Greasemonkey scripts, and Greasemonkey is a Firefox add-on.

But, if you don't want to use etsyhacks, you can use whatever browser you like on the Etsy site.

Firefox is only 'required' if you want to use etsyhacks. It is not 'required' for anything else on the Etsy site.

@ MysteryFCM

I looked at the sites for Opera and Orca, and I liked them both except Opera supports torrenting from within. :/ Is there a way to shut off that feature so you don't have it even there or anything?

Also, just curious why you say Firefox isn't as secure?

I only tried Safari briefly, and can't remember why I didn't like it.

@mountaintree16

As far as I know it can be turned off, yes.

As for Firefox and security, have a gander at Secunia's website ;) (there's been malware specially created for Firefox for quite a while now)

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/12434/

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/19089/

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/25800/

@ Mystery

Sweet, thanks :D I think I'll try out Orca when I have a chance, I liked the sounds of it more than Opera. Also the speed dial stuff and all that jazzy stuff on Opera really confused me, lol.

Thanks for the Secunia advisories; I'll check them out when I am not so tired ;)

And if you know the answer to this, just making sure we're all clear - its fine to have 2, 3, 4 browsers installed, right? :)

If you want to use etsyhacks on the Etsy site, you will need to use Firefox. This is because etsyhacks are Greasemonkey scripts, and Greasemonkey is a Firefox add-on.

But, if you don't want to use etsyhacks, you can use whatever browser you like on the Etsy site.

Firefox is only 'required' if you want to use etsyhacks. It is not 'required' for anything else on the Etsy site.

Thanks Bobc8 -- good to know that.

Thanks Marktreg -- yep etsyhacks is exactly what I want to run. Case closed. Will install Firefox.

phew -- ;)

• 3 weeks later...

@ MysteryFCM

I am nearly ready to download and start using Orca Browser (sometime this week! :rolleyes:). Which place/mirror do you think would be best to download it from, though?

The default one is this one but Soft Pedia, Major Geeks, and Beta News are also an option.